• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Norma Mag best twist rate

Hootiewho

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
May 12, 2006
SC
I’m wanting to pick up a 300 NM barrel for my AXMC. Will probably be shooting the Berger 215’s and maybe the 230’s. AI barrels are 10 twist, and I had looked at the Proof offering at 1:9.

What is the preferred twist rates for these projectile?

From Todd Hodnett - 1:8 will give you better performance in transsonic and subsonic while maintaining accuracy in supersonic

He told me that personally so I know its not internet folklore.

Reactions: Warrior 45
Give Dave Tooley a message. He can give advice and also make the barrel. He’s made several for me. Great service.

I've had two different 300 Norma rifles, a 1:10 and my current one is 1:9 . Both shoot everything up to 230s with excellent results. Haven't tried any of the heavier bullets.

I had a 1:8. The barrel I did after was a 1:9. If you don’t plan to shoot larger than 230 hybrids I’d do a 9 twist. Should see less pressure.

Building a 32" 30 Sherman Magnum. Not quite a 300 Norma but close. Plan to run 220 LRHT around 3100-3200. Mines an 8 twist. I dont see a reason to run less. But I'm also at low elevation living in Boston. And it let's me run 221 solids. A 9 would be fine no doubt but rules out solids