• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Norma Mag in MPA?

RioKid

Trophy Husband
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2017
Wisconsin
Hi guys,
Anybody here using a 300 Norma Mag in a MPA BA chassis? I have one built by MPA and have not shot it yet. My question is, while going through the rifle to familiarize myself with it, i found that i can not feed it from the magazine. When I cycle the action forward, the tip of the bullet is hitting the front of the magazine well just a smidge below the feed ramp. I am guessing it may be my selection of ammunition ( Norma ammo with 230 gr. Berger hybrid ) but wanted to ask you folks if it could be a magazine issue instead.
I realize there are a million posts out there about ammunition and reloading to make sure you "fit" your magazine, but what I see is that there is ample space in the magazine, but the shell cant ride up and out before making contact with the edge of the mag well.
Any insight would be appreciated. The magazine is the stock magazine that came with my rifle. It is marked " 300 Win Mag " on the bottom, but I would assume that is common since I don't think they make a "special" magazine for a 300 Norma.
Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Chris

try a lapua mag. they sent wrong magazine with weapon it appears.

and is it built on Curtis action? just curious.

When you say that "the tip of the bullet is hitting the front of the magazine well just a smidge below the feed ramp" do you mean the magwell of the chassis or its catching on the bottom of the action itself? Because it shouldnt be possible to hit the chassis magwell, the magazine should be in between the bullet and the magwell. If its hitting the bottom of the action then you might need to have it notched? This question sounds like it could stand to go straight to MPA if its one of their actual builds or at least some pictures showing the actual interference.

Thanks for your reply guys! About 10 minutes after i posted my question, Phil , the owner of MPA called me and we spoke at length. He was very helpful and I believe we may have the issue corrected by using a different mag. I will let you know when i have it and give it a go.
A big THANK YOU to Phil and his team for handling this so quickly! I did order the rifle direct from MPA and Phil not only addressed that issue but answered a few unrelated questions about shooting in general and equipment. He was in no rush and truly made me feel valued as a customer! OUTSTANDING customer service and a very beautiful rifle too!
I will pop back in when I have it corrected, which should be soon because I got the feeling Phil wouldnt be happy until it is corrected. Love my new rifle.
Thanks,
Chris

Could be, but I had left a voicemail at MPA shortly before asking on here. I hope I didn't come off as complaining in the original post. That was not my intent. I was more concerned with my choice of ammunition as I have read multiple times that long seated VLD style bullets have been the root cause of other peoples mag feeding issues. I apologize if it came off as me being unhappy. There are so many knowledgeable people that visit this site I figured someone could steer me in the right direction
Chris

No man not at all. You should be happy with your spent money ;).

Yes long loaded ammo can get under the feed ramp just like you stated and not work properly. Other times slightly bending the very front edge of the feed lips on a mag will allow the round to angle up slightly and provide enough clearance.

This can happen anytime you have a long caliber, with a heavy bullet, near max length for the action size. A 180 in a 7 SAUM or a 140 in a 260.

That is also why some actions notch the feed ramp, like Surgeon, so that the tip of the bullet has more clearance to get over the lip of the feed ramp.

Update:
I got home a bit later than expected on friday evening and there was a package on the doorstep from MPA. A new, different sized magazine was in the package. The original sent with the rifle was stamped " 300 WM" and the new one is stamped 338 Lapua. I took it out to the shop and tried it out. Works great! The action cycles cleanly and runs rounds in and out very smoothly.
Big thank you to MPA and Phil for taking care of the issue in 3 days. Very happy with the service they provided. I can't wait to put some rounds through it this week.
Thanks for the suggestions and help guys. Appreciated.
Chris

Reactions: Scain917