• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 300 Norma Mag using a Surgeon 1086R action?

The Lawn Ranger

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2009
Northern Kentucky
I have a 1086 long action chambered in 284 win that I am considering converting to a 300 NM.

I am not sure if the .473" (.308 Win W/Remington Style Extractor) can be opened up to .590” (338 Lapua Mag.) boltface.

has anybody attempted this? Is this even possible/safe?

If it was me I would call surgeon and buy another bolt with a bigger bolt face. Im not sure what they cost but hang on to the old one if you want to go back to anything with a .473 botl face.

Kc

If it was me I would call surgeon and buy another bolt with a bigger bolt face. Im not sure what they cost but hang on to the old one if you want to go back to anything with a .473 botl face.

Kc

^This for sure^

I thought about this, but according to their website; bolts for the 1086 only go up to .550" boltface. (300 Win Mag W/M16 Style Extractor).

Perhaps I will call Stephen and ask what's what.....

Seems like you would want the Surgeon XL action for any cartridge with the 0.585" bolt face.

I would not open any .705 or smaller bolt diameter up to .590 , I know it has been done before and Remington does it too, but you should read Jim Borden's write up on the matter. I consider him to be on a higher level than Remington anyway

Stephen at Surgeon recommends NOT opening up the boltface. I could convert this to 300 WM with new .550" bolt or sell
Rifle and start from scratch.