• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Norma mag...

Blaster4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2005
Virginia
www.teamblaster.net
I was putting together a list of things to build for the new year and was planning out a 300 Norma Mag build...

I plan on using a Surgeon action...

Question is...can this be done well in a long action with the appropriate bolt face or do I need to go with the XL action?

Respectfully,

--KJ

Re: 300 Norma mag...

It all depends on the bullet you intend to shoot and what the COAL will be. Measure a round and decide if the LA is long enough.

ETA, I don't have any experience with the 300 Norma mag. That is where I would start with any cartridge.

I believe the cartridge was designed around the 240gr SMK

A standard LA magazine box is 3.6" and I believe that a loaded spec for the 300NM with 240gr is 3.5"

but just because it fits doesn't mean its the best way to go...that's why I posted the question and find out what people are actually using.

There is almost a $400 difference between those two actions...that's a lot of brass, bullets, powder...

Respectfully,

--KJ

KJ the original testbed was built on a R700 LA and does very well..

If you need contact with designer PM me..

KJDrake pm "have none" he'll take care of you. I can tell you this cartridge is a hammer running JLK 210's.

John

they are different cartridges. The 300 Norma Magnum started its life as the 338 Norma Magnum (a Jimmy Sloan design), then got necked down to shoot the 240 Grain Sierras. Not sure where the 308 Norma came from, but its been around along time.

JeffVN

Thanks for explaining that. All this time I thought people were referring to the old 30 cal Norma mag. I had a difficult time understanding why everybody was so excited about this chambering when it appeared to be almost identical to the 300WM. I was unaware there was a new design. Is there a .pdf or cartrige line drawing I could peruse?

John

Thank you, Gent's...that just saved me $400 smackers.

I'm looking forward to this build. I have the near, medium, and far ranges covered but I still need that "really far" rifle.

Respectfully,

--KJ

Are you going to open the mag boltface up or can you get it with the LM face straight from Surgeon?

I'm gonna build one as well and had all but decided on the TAC338 action until this thread appeared.

Surgeon offers a Magnum bolt face (.535) I just assumed that would fit.

Surgeon 1086 LA repeater

I have (2) 591 repeater actions and (1) WSM action from Surgeon and I'm very happy with them. Figured I could pick up the 1086 LA repeater and call it a day. Don't get me wrong...I would love to rock the XL action but if it's not necessary then...

I won a Bartlein barrel certificate Bartlein Barrels, Inc. and I'll pick a stock up from JW Precision

--KJ

As reference above, teh 338 Norma Magnum .. and thus, the 300 Normaq Magnum are 338 Lapua Magnum bolt face cartridges. You'll need to open the bolt of a Surgeon Long actin to accomdate teh 300 Norma Mag brass.

But, here is a link showing the 338 Norma Mag next to the 338 Lapua Magnum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.338_Norma_Magnum

Would there be any advantage to running a LM designed action?

Planning on building a single shot.

dang my typing stinks today.

The two advantages that I see would be in using an action designed from the ground up to handle the amount of bolt thrust generated by the cartridge, and the safety margin by having more steel wrapped around the chamber (including the enhanced rigidity that you get from the bigger action also).

But they also made 338LMs on Remington 700 and other Magnum Actions for a long time before dedicated LM actions came into being.

JeffVN

I had a 300 Norma Mag AI ( 300 JAZZ) last year built on a Defiance action. Do a search for aditional imfo.
300 Norma is a great caliber. Shot the 210 Bergers at 3150-3200fps and the 240 SMK at 2900 fps in a 28" barrel. I don't know what Mr Sloan is getting for velocities. The Norma brass is excellentas well. I had 15 reloads on some of it.
I do feel the 338 Norma is a better caliber thou.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bluejazz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a 300 Norma Mag AI ( 300 JAZZ) 300 Norma is a great caliber. Shot the 210 Bergers at 3150-3200fps and the 240 SMK at 2900 fps in a 28" barrel. I do feel the 338 Norma is a better caliber thou. </div></div>

I was keeping up with your jazz posts and haven't seen any for quite some time. Can you expand on your 338 comment?

I have an edge and love it and I've thought of building a 338 norma improved as well. I like the proportions of the Norma case and can see it holding a 7mm, 30 cal or 338 projectile. I guess I could talk to the banker and build 3 rifles.

Is anyone knowledgeable enough about both cartridges to compare the 300 Norma and the 30-375R? Not sure if I really want to go down this road very far, but I have a 300WM and would consider rechambering IF the benefits were great enough. Pros? Cons?

Not looking for speculation. Only facts.

John

Goin Hot,
My comment on liking the 338 better is based on it's not that much more of a jump to shoot the 300gr SMK in the 338 over the 240gr SMK in the 30cal. I just like the performance of the 338 better for the same component built rifle.
Center feeding these rounds with the HS Precision DBM works great.

If you plan on using a fiberglass stock then go with the 1086la and open up the face. If you going with a xl your better off with a AI stock or mcree.

Or you can go with a KMW thumbhole. Terry has been building Surgeon 338 XLs using that stock for years now.

LongSword, using Surgeon XL action is on his homepage:

http://www.kmwlrs.com/

wink.gif

JeffVN

I have never warmed to the thumbhole stocks...I was born on an McM A1 stock. It was a big switch just going to the A5 stock that I use now...

I will use the 1086LA and the A5 since that is what I use now

Hello Kevin,

Quick suggestion...you may want to send Mr. Sloan an email and ask him and/or Kiff for the freebore length & pitch for the specific bullet you intend on using and get the reamer for your intended specs.

I'm building a 300 NM as soon as I get my barrel in.

See you at the end of May!!!

Francis

Thanks for the heads up, Francis. I will definitely do that. Is there one bullet that you are looking at in particular? I still have a bunch of homework to do with this build. I'm looking forward to shooting with you again.

Be safe,

--KJ

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FK300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello Kevin,

Quick suggestion...you may want to send Mr. Sloan an email and ask him and/or Kiff for the freebore length & pitch for the specific bullet you intend on using and get the reamer for your intended specs.

I'm building a 300 NM as soon as I get my barrel in.

See you at the end of May!!!

Francis</div></div>

If you want to know the specs for the above for 210 jlk & bergers let me know dave desinged me a reamer for those. Other wise just stick with the orgional freebore"jimmie's" if you plan on shooting 240's and 210's It shoots both well.

Goin'Hot
If your going to build a .300 NM then I would go with a Surgeon XL repeater or single shot. If you go with a repeater then you can seat the bullets out as far as you want. But if your intention is to shoot this rifle prone and only at longrange then I would opt for the single shot, which there again you can seat the bullet where you want it.
You can build a .300 Hulk or .300 Norma mag on a Surgeon short action easily if you go with a single shot. When you fire the round the case will eject with no problem, or you could use the WSM for a little more room but you dont really need it. If you dont fire the round just simple pull the bolt and extrct the round. I bet in all the years Karl has shot his Hulk he can count on one hand how many times he's had to do that. Karls Hulk is built on a short action and look how it performs. Another choice is a BAT which is a great action for this application. Tim's .30/338 Norma mag is built on a Bat single shot. An improved .300 Norma mag would be a Hulk IMO.
Brass is not to far away from production. We are currently doing some tests with .300 Norma brass compared to the custom made Hulk brass we make out of .338 LM to see which is stronger, as in which one will take fail first. I think we already know the answer. As for which one will push the 240 harder and more accurate that remains to be seen.
Since I have 16+ years experience with this type of shortend and necked down version of the .338 LM cartridge I'm doing the testing with one other participant. We build both models obviously and we have more experience with this type of cartridge and the proof well, is in the pudding. Which is another reason for our 7mm Hulk a .338 Hulk and of course the Norma brass versions for those who can't decide. We have new .300 Norma mag tacticals and a .300 Hulk for demos at TVP for 2011.

Goin'Hot,

You coming out to TVP Monday? Have something for you to try, may bring a grin or two!

Tom,

I'd love to come out tomorrow and play with your toys but, the shop's open all this week and the boss is a real prick.
smile.gif

I'll be out whichever weekend you're playing in january.