• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Norma Mag

Dj907

Private
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2017
Petersburg Alaska
Does anyone have any suggestions on working up a load for a 300 Norma using RL33 Powder and Hornady 225gr. ELD-M bullets.

Thanks in advance ??

Hello! Good question. I have a 300 NM custom built rifle by Spartan Precision in San Jose (love this gun). Took it back to "Virginia" where I was a member of a "group" of good shooters to show it off. I wont go into all the details of the build for now, other than it is on a AI chassis w a 29" 8 twist Bartlein (Defiance action). After sighting scope in my 3 shot group was superb with Hornady 225 ELDs (factory). I proceeded to shoot at 500, 700, 1160 and 1 mile. My scope is a Leupold Mark 5 HD, 5-25x56. Great scope. I have attached pics of the 100 yard 3 shot group and the 1 mile (7 out of 10 hits on a 16x24 target. So I was super pleased with the rifle, build, ammo etc. I decided since there is a hot bullet (with .823 G1 BC) i wanted to see just how well the loads could be. Here is the important part about your reloading question. I am using only Norma 217 powder. I used the Hornday OAL gauge to find exactly where the bullet touched the lands, then backed it off .020. What I found was the 230 A-tip (.823 BC) bullets with their sleek design are actually too long for the AI Mag (if using .020 off the lands). You can shoot them single shot (which I have not done yet). You can also reconfigure the mag well to use CIP mags and the round fits (at least in my build). I loaded some with what I thought was WAY too far off the lands (I have to check the exact distance), and the shot. The groups were ok, but not great (expecting much better performance). I started with 82 grains of Norma 217 and worked my way up to 88 grains. My MV at 87 grains (best MV with no over pressure signs) was slightly over 3000 fps. I went back home and started over. I decided that I wanted to see how far off the lands the 230 gr factory Berger Hybrids (.73 BC, I think)...still too far off. So I pulled the bullets out just a little and reseated them .020 off the lands and looked to see if they would fit in the mag. Sure thing! CLOSE, but fit and feed. I returned all the rest of my A-tips and just reloaded 230 Bergers. I havent shot them yet, but cant wait to get out and see how they perform. The factory Hornday 225 ELDs were great, but always looking for better. Sorry for going on and on, but I wanted to give you as much information as I could. Hope you find it somewhat useful and I am sure I left out some important details. Feel free to ask. I have other load data for the 300 NM ...but this is a good start. jeff

Attachments

• 1 mile.jpg
    1 mile.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 100 yards.JPG
    100 yards.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 26
There is an entire thread on 300 Norma loads ?

Hello! Good question. I have a 300 NM custom built rifle by Spartan Precision in San Jose (love this gun). Took it back to "Virginia" where I was a member of a "group" of good shooters to show it off. I wont go into all the details of the build for now, other than it is on a AI chassis w a 29" 8 twist Bartlein (Defiance action). After sighting scope in my 3 shot group was superb with Hornady 225 ELDs (factory). I proceeded to shoot at 500, 700, 1160 and 1 mile. My scope is a Leupold Mark 5 HD, 5-25x56. Great scope. I have attached pics of the 100 yard 3 shot group and the 1 mile (7 out of 10 hits on a 16x24 target. So I was super pleased with the rifle, build, ammo etc. I decided since there is a hot bullet (with .823 G1 BC) i wanted to see just how well the loads could be. Here is the important part about your reloading question. I am using only Norma 217 powder. I used the Hornday OAL gauge to find exactly where the bullet touched the lands, then backed it off .020. What I found was the 230 A-tip (.823 BC) bullets with their sleek design are actually too long for the AI Mag (if using .020 off the lands). You can shoot them single shot (which I have not done yet). You can also reconfigure the mag well to use CIP mags and the round fits (at least in my build). I loaded some with what I thought was WAY too far off the lands (I have to check the exact distance), and the shot. The groups were ok, but not great (expecting much better performance). I started with 82 grains of Norma 217 and worked my way up to 88 grains. My MV at 87 grains (best MV with no over pressure signs) was slightly over 3000 fps. I went back home and started over. I decided that I wanted to see how far off the lands the 230 gr factory Berger Hybrids (.73 BC, I think)...still too far off. So I pulled the bullets out just a little and reseated them .020 off the lands and looked to see if they would fit in the mag. Sure thing! CLOSE, but fit and feed. I returned all the rest of my A-tips and just reloaded 230 Bergers. I havent shot them yet, but cant wait to get out and see how they perform. The factory Hornday 225 ELDs were great, but always looking for better. Sorry for going on and on, but I wanted to give you as much information as I could. Hope you find it somewhat useful and I am sure I left out some important details. Feel free to ask. I have other load data for the 300 NM ...but this is a good start. jeff
Awesome thanks for your help 🤙🏼

I don't have data for 225s, but I'm using 90.5 grains of rl33 with 230 smks out of a 27" for 3025 fps; single digit sd's. My barrel likes .015 off the lands.

Attachments

• output.jpg
    output.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: Dj907