• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Norma Magnum Load with H1000 (Got a fav?)

rustyinbend

GySgt USMC 1976-1992
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2018
    Bend, Oregon
    Been exercising my new 300-Norma with Retumbo and MagPro ... but just got a jug of H1000 and want to see if it can do better. Anybody out there have a favorite H1000 load that would generally approximate a 27-inch barrel (MPA Comp Chassis, Lapua brass, Fed-215 primers, and Hornady 225-ELDM's? Hodgdon doesn't have anything on their reloading site, and I can't find a source for the 225-ELDM. Figured I'd check with the "300-Norma-Gods" here before I believe QuickLoad numbers.

You obviously checked here first, right?

You obviously checked here first, right?
    Lots of 215's, 220's, and 230's in SMK and Bergers, but no load recommendations for 225 ELDM's. Same problem I've had thus far. I can extrapolate and at least get close enough to start. Thanks.

83.7 h1000
    225eldm
    3050fps
    Es7 sd 4
    .012 off lands
    Lapua brass
    Cci 250 primer

Did alot of testing and with my gun that load did the best ES and SD.

Had to fiddle with the seating depth to find the money shot.

Testing continues ... got a nice ladder with H1000 and Hornady 225 ELDM's ... with a surprise. I had intended to shoot 3 "warm-up" shots and then start the ladder at 81.2gr, but just for the heck of it, turned on my Labradar to include the warm-up shots ... something I don't usually do. Those four shots at the start of the ladder that were the same charge, and gave me a SD of 5.12 and a ES of 11. Definitely a nice node to investigate. I'll do that before I look for other possibilities. Pressure signs (heavy bolt) started at 83.2 (last 5 shots) so I'll definitely stay under that. Any opinions on velocity here? If 81.2gr of H1000 provides itty-bitty SD's and tight groups, is 2925-ish velocity OK for 300-Norma, or should I be looking for higher? Here's the ladder results ... BTW ... I'm (finally) done fire-forming my new 300-NM Lapua brass so everything else will be tested with 1x or greater fired brass.

1655228328577.png

Reactions: EKane
    83.7 h1000
    225eldm
    3050fps
    Es7 sd 4
    .012 off lands
    Lapua brass
    Cci 250 primer

Did alot of testing and with my gun that load did the best ES and SD.

Had to fiddle with the seating depth to find the money shot.
    Thanks for sharing. How was the grouping of this load? Have you got good results from different seating depths??

Testing continues ... got a nice ladder with H1000 and Hornady 225 ELDM's ... with a surprise. I had intended to shoot 3 "warm-up" shots and then start the ladder at 81.2gr, but just for the heck of it, turned on my Labradar to include the warm-up shots ... something I don't usually do. Those four shots at the start of the ladder that were the same charge, and gave me a SD of 5.12 and a ES of 11. Definitely a nice node to investigate. I'll do that before I look for other possibilities. Pressure signs (heavy bolt) started at 83.2 (last 5 shots) so I'll definitely stay under that. Any opinions on velocity here? If 81.2gr of H1000 provides itty-bitty SD's and tight groups, is 2925-ish velocity OK for 300-Norma, or should I be looking for higher? Here's the ladder results ... BTW ... I'm (finally) done fire-forming my new 300-NM Lapua brass so everything else will be tested with 1x or greater fired brass.

View attachment 7891541
    you should STOP right there. You will sacrifice too much trying to eke out another 50 fps and the down-range result may suffer