• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.300 Norma Magnum

MSTN

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2010
MIDDLE OF ARIZONA
mstn.biz
This thread isn't about reloading. It's about NOT reloading and paying someone else to do it. Someone really, really good at it!

Last Spring, I set as a goal getting my first true ELR capable rifle. After reading Todd Hodnett's article on the .300 Norma Magnum in the Spring of 2012 Sniper Magazine and then finding a good supply of .300 NM brass, I figured I'd go that route.

I was in the process of ordering a rifle from Moon at Crescent Customs when a lightly used Surgeon Remedy in - .300 Norma Magnum!!! - popped up for sale on SH at a killer price. Almost exactly what I planned to order, down to the Thunderbeast suppressor mount installed. I think I bought the rifle 15 minutes after it was posted.

It's a great looking rifle, too:

IMG_1084.jpg

The rifle came complete with 185 rounds of custom loaded ammo from McCourt Munitions and a generous supply of hard-to-get Berger 230 Hybrids plus even more new brass. The MM load performed quite well in the rifle, at a really rocking 2998 FPS!

I had to order a big Redding press from Sinclair to handle the .300 NM case. All my reloading up until now has done on a tiny Harrel's that was not about to be up to the task. The big press was back-ordered, as were all the usual powders, magnum match primers, etc. At least I had bullets, brass, and some ammo to hold me over.

I started looking for reloading data on this cartridge. Other than on this forum, I've found precious little info out there. Norma's own website does not even acknowledge that the .300 Norma Magnum exists! Hopefully, their new 2014 reloading manual will address this cartridge.

Well, 185 rounds did not last long. Still no press, powders, or primers. I contacted Andrew McCourt at McCourt Munitions to check into building some more of the exact same load for me, utilizing my brass and bullets. Andrew agreed to help, but said he thought he might have an even better recipe now than the original (Retumbo) load, with lower pressures and even better accuracy. The price was almost too good to be true, too. So, Andrew started working up a new load for the rifle:

IMG_3406.JPG

Fortunately, the best grouping load was surprisingly much, much easier on the brass, almost as fast (2950 FPS), and even more accurate. Here's first group at 300 yards with the "red" load:

IMG_1334.jpg

Shot #1 was the cold bore shot. too.

I expect a heavy box from McCourt Munitions tomorrow.

Last edited:
Congratulations, great looking and shooting rifle!

Does McCourt share the recipe with you?

It indeed is a wonderful rifle. I am extremely lucky to have stumbled across it when I did.

Since I consider the load data to be truly the proprietary recipe of McCourt Munitions, I haven't asked. The chrono data showed an extreme spread of 9 FPS with this load. I've never been able to load ammo to those tolerances, anyway. Even if I knew the precise recipe, I could not reproduce such a load, I don't think.

Very nice rifle and groups. I am fairly new to precision reloading and am wondering McCourt used to color their pills with? That's a great method of keeping your loads straight.

Shot this load today at 2000 yards for the first time, under ideal conditions, with a spotter. If I told you how well it shot, you would not believe me. I didn't, myself.

Hats off to Andrew McCourt and McCourt Munitions.

Shot this load today at 2000 yards for the first time, under ideal conditions, with a spotter. If I told you how well it shot, you would not believe me. I didn't, myself.

Hats off to Andrew McCourt and McCourt Munitions.

Tell us how well it shot!

I've never shot at a single thing past 1100 yards except with Zunis, 20MM cannon, etc., from an A-4M, long, long ago in a distant lifetime.

With this ammo, I was able to hit a half-MOA rock at 1950 yards with fourth shot.

Told my spotter where to hold. He it it the first shot. Can we still be friends?

Load development

Fun out in the White Mts. today.
4 shot group at 776 yards.
Wind was from 3oclock at 4-11mph,
300 Norma @ 2796fps with Berger 230 OTM's, 86 grains of H50bmg. Held 4.7 mils of elevation, and into the wind .7 mils.
The mug shot was all I had in my pocket for reference. 3.530 COAL.
25.5 " barrel 1:10 twist

Attachments

• photo 2 (1).JPG
    photo 2 (1).JPG
    335.1 KB · Views: 52
  • photo (5) - Edited.JPG
    photo (5) - Edited.JPG
    350.8 KB · Views: 47