• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.300 Norma with 20 inch barrel

I can't imagine the performance of either 338LM or 300NM in a barrel that short would be much better than 338WM or 300WM, but I've been wrong before...

You still get ballistic benefits over other calibers if you compare the same barrel length. Running a caliber like that, in a barrel length such as that is application specific. If you need it you need it, if you dont then you go 26-28" and get the most you can from it.

I built a 338 Norma with a 23” barrel,performance was still great I was using vvn570 with 300 grainers @2760 ,RL22 was @2690.This was some 7-8 years ago so some of these newer powders would give it a hurry along also.

Thanks for the replies guys. Todd is a fairly well respected guy in the industry so i was curious about his 20 inch barrel choice. Appears its a balance between velocity and have a shorter rifle.

Hoy Hoy

Hodnett spouting his shorter faster twist rate bullshit again? There is a time and a place for it. but a 20" 338 or 300? now thats just retarded.

Edit: Just peeked at the link, thats an old ass article. but still i dont understand how this guy has so much credibility.

I had a 20” 338. With the stock folded it fit into the case I needed it to fit into. A longer barrel wouldn’t have.

i can also shoot 6.5CM out of a 20" barrel with almost the same holds and velocity at a fifth the cost and i can do it repeadetly without getting the crap kicked out of me. I mean it sounds cool and all and i so go for it. if the winds are super strong and youve got to assasinate some super secret person in Juarez mexico then maybe its a good choice. the exit wound will certainly be bigger.

It's a free county (kinda) so if that's what you want to do then go for it. But IMO that's like putting a 572 big block in your ride and supercharging it, then putting go cart tires on the back.

Reactions: 260284 and Bradu
Hi,

A case you "needed" it to fit in or a case you "wanted" it to fit in? There is a BIG difference :)

Sincerely,
Theis

Needed it to fit between trees on a four wheeler trail to my uncles hunting cabin. The trail is one four wheeler wide.

My buddy has a 300 NM with a 22" Proof barrel and manner Carbon stock. With a Ultra 5 on it its still only 27" of barrel and not much over 10 pounds and still lays the smack down like what a 300 WM with 4"+ more barrel does. Its a hunting rifle and plenty capable still to 1K. That said I am going with a 21" barrel 300 WSM this winter setup similar for the same reasons....it'll be kinda like its baby brother haha.

I agree though it depends on its purpose. If wanting to strictly shoot LR only on steel or rocks then it doesn't make much sense and go as long as you can stand. But I would much rather have a 20-22" barrel rifle to wade in the alders after a bear than a 26-28" barrel. Purpose drives what might be useful given their needs I guess.

My buddy has a 300 NM with a 22" Proof barrel and manner Carbon stock. With a Ultra 5 on it its still only 27" of barrel and not much over 10 pounds and still lays the smack down like what a 300 WM with 4"+ more barrel does. Its a hunting rifle and plenty capable still to 1K. That said I am going with a 21" barrel 300 WSM this winter setup similar for the same reasons....it'll be kinda like its baby brother haha.

I agree though it depends on its purpose. If wanting to strictly shoot LR only on steel or rocks then it doesn't make much sense and go as long as you can stand. But I would much rather have a 20-22" barrel rifle to wade in the alders after a bear than a 26-28" barrel. Purpose drives what might be useful given their needs I guess.
Yep. But ok TH is in a magazine where the hunting of humans and the tools to do so are discussed. He wasn’t training marines to hunt bears.

Do you think 20” 300 and 338 magnums are catalog items from AI because there aren’t military customers for them?

Yep. But ok TH is in a magazine where the hunting of humans and the tools to do so are discussed. He wasn’t training marines to hunt bears.

You're correct I didn't even click the link in the article.

I just read the OPs last line in his post: "Anyone running a 20 inch barrel in these calibers. I love shorter barrels with a suppressor on the end."

I didn't realize he as talking as it related to hunting of humans or anything in-particular rather than just examples of such setups is all. I guess I was trying to reply to the OPs question rather than the article. My bad.

I should know better than to try understanding why people do the things they do, but in regards to the article and specifically the picture of TH with the .300NM rifle:

If you are going to write an article about using an ELR caliber and talk about how important things like drop, kinetic energy, retained velocity, wind drift, and transonic range are; then why do it with a 20" barrel?

If it is to save weight then don't make your barrel a no-taper truck axle and instead use a conventional tapered barrel with more length for the weight so you get the benefits of the ballistic characteristics you seek.

If it is to save length then try a suppressor mount that doesn't add 5" of length and put that length back into the barrel so you get the benefit of the ballistic characteristics you seek.

Bottom line: His rifle has all the weight and length of a long, heavy barrel with none of the advantages.

Last edited:
Reactions: THEIS
Suppressors were mentioned I'm curious what affect on the can a shorter barrel in these magnum calibers has.
Like is still a lot of powder burning,
Does it increase pressure to much in the can, get them dirty quicker?
Or not a big deal?

Suppressors were mentioned I'm curious what affect on the can a shorter barrel in these magnum calibers has.
Like is still a lot of powder burning,
Does it increase pressure to much in the can, get them dirty quicker?
Or not a big deal?

Using suppressors on shorter barrels (especially with magnum calibers) definitely has an effect on the pressure the suppressor has to endure. TBAC specifically lists what length barrels and calibers their suppressors are rated to handle. Look in the bottom left under the "Application Notes" section for their .338 Ultra: https://thunderbeastarms.com/products/338-ultra

Reactions: BR7.62
The whole point of the 300 Norma, in my opinion, is to get more velocity over the 300WM. Otherwise why would you endure the Lapua bolt face, crazy expensive brass, massive powder appetite, short barrel life, etc? I personally don't understand choosing an overbore magnum and then neutering it with a short barrel.

FWIW I am a huge 300/338 Norma fan. But my Normas have 28" barrels.

Hi,

Manufacturers and gunsmiths can make and/or put together ANYTHING these days :)
Heck, back in early/mid 90s Harris Gunworks was making a 16.5" barreled 50BMG rifle called the "Rhino" lol.

Sincerely,
Theis

The point being it exists because they have customers for it. Military ones in some cases.

Hi,

Manufacturers and gunsmiths can make and/or put together ANYTHING these days :)
Heck, back in early/mid 90s Harris Gunworks was making a 16.5" barreled 50BMG rifle called the "Rhino" lol.

Sincerely,
Theis
FA5D6A2F-4767-4B2E-8F66-C506DB1FFC07.jpeg

I was chronoing 20" 338LM load data last night. 2630 with 92.3 grains of Retumbo pushing 300smk's...according to my bc that is 1800 ft lbs of energy at 1k with 29 moa/ 8.2 mils of elevation...staying supersonic until 1500 yards still carrying 1100 ft lbs of energy with 56moa/16.4mils of elevation...what is not to like about this combo shooting suppressed? Most people running 20"338 don't care about 2k I care about bringing a sledgehammer down at a 30 degree angle at 1k.