• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Norma

aauya

Private
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2017
Anyone out here know where I could pick up some Lapua 300 Norma brass, it seems like all I can find is Peterson has anybody tried the Peterson?

I JUST bout a 300NM and am looking for loads and components. Just ordered Norma brass. I only see Norma and Hornady in stock where I shop.

What is your favorite load for your 300NM?

The only way to get Lapua brass right now is to buy loaded ammo. Based on my emails to the various brass mfg's:
Lapua won't be available till around April '19.
Peterson version 2.0 will be available 1st qtr '19 (Version 1.0, currently available, is slightly out of spec somehow).
ADG will be available hopefully sometime in '19 (would not be more specific).

JB,

Thanks for the info.

I ordered some Peterson brass from one of my wholesalers and the below statement was posted in the description of the brass.

Steve

NOTICE - THIS IS THE FIRST RUN: Due to popular demand, Peterson Cartridge released its .300 Norma Magnum and .338 Norma Magnum casings in the spring of 2018. When Peterson designed these casings, it chose to use the same parent casing as its .338 Lapua Magnum casing. As a result, Peterson chose to keep the major diameter of the casing (the diameter just above the extraction groove) the same size as its .338 Lapua Magnum casings. That diameter is .580”. Since Peterson has never had any complaints about excessive major diameter growth, or primer pocket loosening in its .338 Lapua Magnum casings, they believed that to be a fine decision.

After releasing its 1st production run of .300 and .338 Norma Magnum casings with a major diameter of .580”, it was brought to Peterson’s attention that some customers would rather the major diameter of the Peterson .300 and .338 Norma Magnum casings be the same size as the .300 and .338 Norma Magnum casings produced by Norma. That diameter is .583”.

Peterson has received a lot of compliments on its first run of .300 and .338 Norma Magnum brass. Customers have stated that the Peterson casings hold more pressure, and that they can get more reloads. Several have said things, like this customer who enthused, “The Peterson Brass I’ve been testing in .300 Norma Mag is by far the best .300 Norma Mag brass I’ve used to date. The accuracy is outstanding.”

After studying the potential problems associated with changing its .300 and .338 Norma Magnum major diameter, Peterson decided to modify its tooling to change the major diameter of its .300 and .338 Norma Magnum casings to match Norma’s major diameter which is .583”. As a result, all future production runs of Peterson’s .300 and .338 Norma Magnum casings will have a major diameter of .583” to match the Norma Magnum casings produced by Norma.

Reactions: bjay
Me too!

Lapua brass on sale with this wholesaler, but no 300NM.

I was going to order Norma brass until I read a few threads on 300NM brass. Thanks to all.

BJay, I would not think waiting would be a big deal for someone living in paradise. Just grab your surfboard and walk down to the beach.......

From what I understand the current Peterson brass works fine as long as you don't use that brass to have a custom die made. I've read a lot of good reviews and bought some to try in my 7-300 norma barrel.

My prime gripe with 300 NM is my Norma brass expands too much at the area discussed in Peterson batches and causes sticky extraction. I only have 1 firing on my 300 NM peterson brass and have no issues thus far. That said, the necks are thicker on Peterson compared to Norma and it is a little too thick for my Giraud trimmer case holder.

As of now I'd take Peterson rev 1 brass over norma happily.

Reactions: Stevo3556