• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC 32" barrel lenght

EMCA

Private
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2020
Hi guys.
It is my first custom rifle.
I want to use it for shots from 1000 to 1800 yards.
I've been thinking about the rifle for a few months, caliber, etc.
In the end, I thought of a 300 prc with 32" barrel and 1:9 twist.
Thinking of shooting Berger hybrid 230gr or Hornady a-tip 230gr.
-What speeds can I get with a 32" barrel and vihtavuori n570?.
-Do you think that with a 32" barrel I would have an advantage in shooting the berger 245 or a-tip 250?
I had thought about a 300 magnum norm, but I don't see much of an advantage over the 300 prc.
Let's see if you can guide me a bit.
I don't want to be wrong.
thank you so much

I have both 300WM and 300NM when looking at barrel length I went 30in on both. After talking with my Gunsmith he said in barrel for length looking for max velocity you want all the powder burn just as the bullet exits the barrel. I was think 32in on the 300NM but at 84gr of powder his thinking was it was 2 inches to long and that at 30 inch would be perfect for the powder burn we are after. Now in my 300WM I am shooting 220 berger hybrid's with a 30in barrel and using a slower that H-1000 powder so the combo works really when again.
Talk with you smith and see what his thoughts are on powder burn vs barrel length.

I'm shooting a 32" 30 Sherman Mag with 250 A-tips at 3000 fps. (essentially a PRC with Ackley)
30 vs 32 is going to be a very minimal speed difference, there isn't going to be any benefit to a 30 other than it's not as long and at that length does it really matter? The powder burn thing is BS.

I ran this chambering up 4gr higher than what I'm running and didn't see any noticeable pressure signs but decided I was happy with this speed and I was barely crunching powder to fit them in the mag. Up at where I stopped the speed was very impressive.

I've been shooting a 300PRC with a 30" Bartlein 9twist....with the Berger 245's....used to shoot the 230 A-Tips....both shoot great. They've been really good to me in both 1 mile benchrest and ELR. The last 4 years or so it has shot exceptional across multiple barrels. I'd stick with a 29.5-30" finished barrel in a nice heavy contour. Put an aggressive brake on it....add plenty of weight to get you to 22lbs+...a nice trigger tech trigger and just go to work. It will make you giggle every time you pull the trigger.

I use RL-26....the Unicorn Dust.

The closest I''ve gotten to RL-26 is one jug of V565. RL is never around when I look. Going to try after the summer heat with 220 LRHT. 30" and 26" barrels.

Thanks guys.
Are you having problems with the clickers in the prc?
I have had them on a factory rifle.
The gunsmith told me that he knew nothing of this matter.
He has built about 12 rifles this year and has had no problems.

Thanks guys.
Are you having problems with the clickers in the prc?
I have had them on a factory rifle.
The gunsmith told me that he knew nothing of this matter.
He has built about 12 rifles this year and has had no problems.
I've not had any problems. I used a SAAMI reamer, Lapua brass, and Whidden dies. some guys have talked about that in the main 300PRC thread.

Hi guys.
It is my first custom rifle.
I want to use it for shots from 1000 to 1800 yards.
I've been thinking about the rifle for a few months, caliber, etc.
In the end, I thought of a 300 prc with 32" barrel and 1:9 twist.
Thinking of shooting Berger hybrid 230gr or Hornady a-tip 230gr.
-What speeds can I get with a 32" barrel and vihtavuori n570?.
-Do you think that with a 32" barrel I would have an advantage in shooting the berger 245 or a-tip 250?
I had thought about a 300 magnum norm, but I don't see much of an advantage over the 300 prc.
Let's see if you can guide me a bit.
I don't want to be wrong.
thank you so much
I'd shoot the Berger 220 Hybrids, They have the same BC as the 230 Hybrids and can be pushed a little faster plus they're much easier to find! You can't go wrong with a 32" barrel, Free velocity and weight!

Reactions: Taylorbok
Thank you very much to all.
I will report how the project progresses.
It won't be ready for another 6 months.
greetings

I am in the middle of a 300PRC build. Actually, I have everything except for the barrel and just waiting for it to come in. My barrel will be a Bartlein 30" 9.24-9 gain twist.

I have been back and forth on the twist. Some ELR guys are pushing 1:8 for the heavier bullets but based on what I have learned from others, I have come to the conclusion that 1:9 is best. The Hornady 250gr A-Tip will not shoot in anything slower than 1:8 (per Hornady) but they say the 230 A-Tip it is fine with 1:9. b2lee above says that the 245 Berger will shoot in a 1:9 so that is great news because i really like Berger bullets.

I am in the middle of a 300PRC build. Actually, I have everything except for the barrel and just waiting for it to come in. My barrel will be a Bartlein 30" 9.24-9 gain twist.

I have been back and forth on the twist. Some ELR guys are pushing 1:8 for the heavier bullets but based on what I have learned from others, I have come to the conclusion that 1:9 is best. The Hornady 250gr A-Tip will not shoot in anything slower than 1:8 (per Hornady) but they say the 230 A-Tip it is fine with 1:9. b2lee above says that the 245 Berger will shoot in a 1:9 so that is great news because i really like Berger bullets.
The 230gr SMK requires a 1-8” as well according to Sierra’s website. The BC matches at least on paper the Hornady A-Tips. 230 gr which is what I will be shooting.

My barrel will be here next week and I went with a 26” 1-9” because it was a available. I had a longer barrel with a faster twist on order with a 8-10week lead time that turned into me cancelling at 24 weeks after nothing but missed deadlines and lies. I’m not competing so giving up a little bit of advantage won’t make any significant difference.

1-9 twist should work fine for most of the 230s, My buddy shoots 230 A-tips out of his 1-9 bartlein chambered in 300 PRC and they stabilize extremely well!

I’ve shot the 250’s from a 1:9 and never had any issues out to 2500 yards

@EMCA
I'm shooting a 32" 30 Sherman Mag with 250 A-tips at 3000 fps. (essentially a PRC with Ackley)
30 vs 32 is going to be a very minimal speed difference, there isn't going to be any benefit to a 30 other than it's not as long and at that length does it really matter? The powder burn thing is BS.

I ran this chambering up 4gr higher than what I'm running and didn't see any noticeable pressure signs but decided I was happy with this speed and I was barely crunching powder to fit them in the mag. Up at where I stopped the speed was very impressive.