• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC / ADG / Hornady ELDM225 / Federal / Retumbo

georgelza

Private
Minuteman
So asking for a suggestion, as a first load to start with, to do a satterlee ladder test with.

components will be

Hornady ELDM 225
Hodgson Retumbo
Federal Magnum Large rifle 215 primers
ADG Brass.

Rifle is a HOWA 1500, 24" Varmint Barrel (Understand I might not end with the higher fps in the heavier bullet with this barrel, for now I'm going for 1000ft - 1Mile)
Depending on what I get might push this to 250ATips as a 2nd load development, with the plan to get a 26" barrel down the line.

What type of jump does this bullet like. if experience in the HOWA it will be a bonus.

what's the experience of this primer with the powder. Do they work nicely together,
G

So asking for a suggestion, as a first load to start with, to do a satterlee ladder test with.

components will be

Hornady ELDM 225
Hodgson Retumbo
Federal Magnum Large rifle 215 primers
ADG Brass.

Rifle is a HOWA 1500, 24" Varmint Barrel (Understand I might not end with the higher fps in the heavier bullet with this barrel, for now I'm going for 1000ft - 1Mile)
Depending on what I get might push this to 250ATips as a 2nd load development, with the plan to get a 26" barrel down the line.

What type of jump does this bullet like. if experience in the HOWA it will be a bonus.

what's the experience of this primer with the powder. Do they work nicely together,
G
what chamber and twist and how much available elevation travel/reticle do you have?

Please explain "What Chamber" ?
twist,
Action will have a 30MOA picatanny rail, the scope I believe have 110MOA max, without zero stop enabled.
... for me to understand, how does the potential elevation of the scope and Picatinny rail have impact on my question for a starting load ?
G

I don’t have your exact combination of components, but my 300 PRC is a Howa 1500 with a 28” 1:8 twist Shilen match barrel. I use Lapua brass, GM215M, RL26, and 230 / 250 A-Tip. As a general observation at the velocities I can get out of my rifle the 230s (same weight class as the 225s) are better at any reasonable range I can shoot then the 250s.

Last edited:
Reactions: georgelza
Please explain "What Chamber" ?
twist,
Action will have a 30MOA picatanny rail, the scope I believe have 110MOA max, without zero stop enabled.
... for me to understand, how does the potential elevation of the scope and Picatinny rail have impact on my question for a starting load ?
G
I apologize, I thought this was a 300WM thread, and I had a long tough road to a mile with a 26" bbl through trans flight w/230AT in 1:9

Reactions: georgelza