• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.300 PRC alternative bullets options - any thoughts on 210 Gr RDF's / Scenars L 220 Gr.?

tstanek

Private
Minuteman
May 21, 2021
Czech republic
Hi there again,
I asked about 220 Gr Sierras load like 10 days ago and had plenty of them ordered, but in the end it has showed up as a mistake of the store, that it's on stock, so I just have like 80 pills of these, and was told that Sierras are basically gone (or at least these particular bullet) too for now and no one knows when it could be on stock. So I did a research on whats available here and as the shortage of everything is getting worse and worse, the bullets in the title are the only bullets which are on stock in decent ammounts in my country (Czechia)....so the question which came up from this:
Do you have any experience with reloading 210 Gr RDF's, or Scenars L 220 gr? I have almost 500 of 200 Gr Hybrids, but not having the results as I would like, but that's no surprise. It's at least sub-optimal bullet/weight for 300 PRC longer range target shooting I'd say. Not really bad, but I'd like to use the full potential of the cartridge and load heavier stuff. Or correct me if my thoughts are wrong on this (meaning lighter load/this particular bullet).
Rifle is B14 HMR Bergara, 26 barrel, 1:9 twist, intended use - target shooting up to 1 km (1100 yards), maybe even further, if I'd have an opportunity to do so. I use RS76 powder, which, on the comparison tables from manufacturer, is equivalent of H1000 (I do know it's relative/couldn't be take with so much importance, just for info...), also have Ramshot Magnum, and have access to basically all of the VV powders. Using Lapua brass, FED GM primers. Thanks in advance for every hints, tips, experiences, ... on this and have a nice day!
Cheers,
T.

I've shot a bunch of Scenar L 220s in 300 Norma with 1/9 twist. Great bullet, very consistant. I see no reason 300 PRC wouldn't yield great results.

Reactions: tstanek
For 1100y I wouldn't think any of them would be that much better than another. I guess it kind of depends on how fast they are going. My 200ELD load at 3kFPS has less drop and wind drift at 1100 than my 208 a max load going 2800fps.

The 220 and 240 Sierra have kind of a low BC for such heavy bullet compared to more modern designs.

Reactions: Steel head
For that distance and just fun range time pick whatever bullet is available.
As subes said you might want to consider lighter options as well for that distance

I've seen a lot of 225 ELDM bullets, would you consider going that route? If so, and you can't find them, PM me.