• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300-PRC and lighter bullets ...

rustyinbend

GySgt USMC 1976-1992
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2018
    Bend, Oregon
    I've been reloading and testing Berger-220gr LRHT bullets in the 300-PRC 26" barrel of my Barrett MRAD, but I don't have a huge supply. Thinking about trying the Berger 200.20x Hybrid bullets ... that I have two 500-packs available (awesome in my 300-WM hand-loads). QuickLOAD shows it works, but I was curious to know if any of the reloading gurus on the forum have tried a 200gr bullet in a 300-PRC barrel ... and if so, what kind of results did you get? Thanks!

Great question for the .300 PRC, and I'll take the answer also! I have several lower weight bullets, for my .300 BO. The .300 PRC has a 26" barrel with 1:9 twist. Bergara HMR Pro.

Glad I'm not alone, but not seeing any answers. That being the case, I loaded a ladder test that goes from 82gr to 86.5gr in 0.5 increments ... and on the next shootable weather day I'll take it out and give it a try with 200gr bullets. My QuickLOAD software shows that 86.5gr to be just shy of the safe "Maximum", so I'm starting low and will watch for pressure signs along the way. At 86.5gr of Accurate Magpro, it shows an estimated velocity of about 3050, a case fill of 98%, and a burn percentage of 99.8% ... I guess we'll see.

Reactions: ck1a
    How did the testing go?
    Got a good ladder, but at a very high velocity and significant pressure signs on everything after 83gr ... I obviously started this too hot. After this range visit, I got a few hundred Berger 220's and a few hundred Hornady 225's and been shooting and testing those ever since. Now I have good reference loads for each, and a stock to last me the next year or so ... might follow up on the 200.20x projectiles at some point, but for now, I'll stick to the heavier bullets for as long as I can get them.

1638279811310.png

FWIW, I had poor accuracy with 150s. Good accuracy with with 168s. Used H4831 with both.

Couldn't even imagine using 150gr bullets in a 300-PRC that's optimized for 220-225gr. Not surprising it struggled.
    At the time, the heaviest 30 cal bullets I had were 150 grainers :(. So I made use of them.
    You'd probably be surprised it shot well with 168 then. Not one hole shooting, but sub-moa and single digit sd.
    Only shot it out to about 700 yards. But it did well.

At the time, the heaviest 30 cal bullets I had were 150 grainers :(. So I made use of them.
    You'd probably be surprised it shot well with 168 then. Not one hole shooting, but sub-moa and single digit sd.
    Only shot it out to about 700 yards. But it did well.
    You're talking about these in a 300-PRC ... right?

Oh sorry about that. A drop tube is a piece of tube between the funnel and brass to let gravity help compact the powder. How much of a compressed load did you have?

Oh ... good to know. I don't use that. I just dispense and weigh from the Chargemaster ... and then seat the bullet. I believe the fill percentage in my QuickLoad software is based upon the average seating depth, and not the entire empty case ... but I could be wrong. Either way, thus far, I haven't had a load that appeared to be so full that seating the bullet compressed the powder to a point where I noticed it. When I get done filling the case, I always check them all with a flashlight, and thus far, nothing has appeared visually to be so full that seating the bullet would compress the powder that much. Just one of the many issues I haven't stumbled across yet.

I'm testing ramshot lrt and 230 bergers. Max load is 93gn. It fills the case full. That is why I asked about the drop tube. Thank you for your time. And spife too.