• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC and US869

Money$hot

Private
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2022
Commiefornia
Howdy Fellas!

I am a long time lurker and appreciate all the information you guys have here. Yes I am from the hated lands. I know I have a big hurdle to overcome LOL!

Anyways, I haven't seen much on this so figured I would throw it out for anyone in my predicament. Components for 300 PRC are somewhat hard to come by at least for me. I finally scored some Lapua 300 prc brass and I have some Hornady 225 ELD Match projectiles. The only powder remotely possible I can find is US 869(I cannot find any data on the forums from people trying this powder with 300 PRC). So I started my load workup today. It was 103 here today so the barrel heated up really fast and started to wander on a couple but I think I found a few good spots to look. This is from a Christensen Arms 300PRC Long Range Mesa shooting at 100 yards using sand bags (I have my flame suit on for the group sizes so bring it). I went in .5 grain increments just to look for pressure signs and I did NOT have any yet. The max charge listed by hornady is 88.1gr for 230gr projectiles and I was using 225's.

Again, it was hot and I feel a few of the third shots wandered if I went too fast. I think I have a few good velocity nodes to explore. At the very least this proves US 869 will work decently for 300 PRC. The 4 shot string is really a 3 shot but the SD and ES is amazing and I had 2 shots in 1 hole with the third shot wide right. I think it was because of the heat. by that time it was easily 100 and the barrel after 2 shots was hard to hold onto. Anyway I am going to start here at 84ish and see what I can find.

I hope this helps somebody. Please feel free to reply and provide feedback, good or bad I am by no means an expert and can use the help!

300 PRC.png

Whats the case fill? Looks like if you could get 5 or 10 more grains in there you would be onto something, :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 918v
Good info to have, thanks for posting. I’ve seen US869 pretty widely available online so this is encouraging.

I’ve heard US869 is temp sensitive. Anyone care to weigh in on that?

Good info to have, thanks for posting. I’ve seen US869 pretty widely available online so this is encouraging.

My experience is that it is temp sensitive. I have also seen many other reports of the same issue. Not a big deal if you are shooting in a relatively stable temp, but I have seen some big velocity drops when the temp gets cold.

Reactions: The D
Whats the case fill? Looks like if you could get 5 or 10 more grains in there you would be onto something, :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I understand the sarcasm LOL but i will answer anyway! Per Hodgdon 88.1 is a compressed charge so you have about 4 more grains. :p

This was really just testing a powder that is available and doesn't have much info out on it for my application. Hopefully someone can get benefit from sharing the results so far.

Ya I was pretty pleased so far. hope it helps but I cannot comment on the temp sensitivity this was my first time using it and it was 95 out.

My experience is that it is temp sensitive. I have also seen many other reports of the same issue. Not a big deal if you are shooting in a relatively stable temp, but I have seen some big velocity drops when the temp gets cold.
I've heard it was really bad. My dad uses it in a hunting rifle 6.5-300 weatherby I was expecting the worse but he's shot that load in 70 degrees and hit with his drops and 2 years ago hit a bull at 582 in 12 degree weather dead center from the drops. I'm not sure if it was a fluke or not but so far it's been good. Don't shoot it when it's hot our or a lot because of barrel life I just know DE dials and pulls the trigger

Is anyone loading 250gr ATip....I'm starting to work the loads up with 869 in Lapua brass. Just looking to see if anyone has info

Is anyone loading 250gr ATip....I'm starting to work the loads up with 869 in Lapua brass. Just looking to see if anyone has info
I do not use a tips I just use 225 eldm.

Just an fyi I was not able to get into the 2800 fps like other powders at “listed” max charge of 88.1 for my rifle. My notes are at home but I want to say I was about 100 fps off. I didn’t go up in charge weight from that point even though no real signs of pressure problems. I did find some decent accuracy nodes though.

This was with Lapua brass.

Last edited:
I’ve tried both the 230s and 250s; 2940 fps and 2850 fps. At those speeds I’d have to be shooting over 2,500 yards for the 250s to give a ballistic advantage.

Reactions: Brown PRC
I’ve tried both the 230s and 250s; 2940 fps and 2850 fps. At those speeds I’d have to be shooting over 2,500 yards for the 250s to give a ballistic advantage.
What was your CBO when seating the 250s. I'm seating out past mag length so I'm having to single feed. My CBO is 2.925 which gives me .040 jump and OACL is 3.810. Going to load test soon them play with seating depth. Finally found a 1lb of H1000 to try also

My CBO WAS 2.949“ ,measured with the Hornady gauge, which gives me about a 0.040” jump. That was using 84.5 grs of LRT powder.

After 100 rds of 250 Atips in multiple powder combos I have decided my barrel just doesn't like them .....so moved to Berger 220 LRHT and grouping is WAY better with all the same powders