• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC Brass Inquiry

BSDJoker

Private
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2020
Illinois
Hello,

This is my first time on the forums. I have followed conversations on here as well as the youtube videos. But I haven't been able to find any conversations that cover the question that I have, so I thought I might raise the question here. Let me start off with a little bit of information.

I have been looking into 300 PRC for some time now before I purchased a rifle for it. I'm not an expert in reloading just yet. I mainly reload .223/5.56 and 9mm for my range supply. This is my first real look into real high performance ammo for reloading. I'm experienced with most aspects of reloading, though. Except for the possibilities regarding resizing brass for something this powerful.

So that leads me to a question. With the recent shortages of 300 PRC ammo and brass, I have pondered if it is at all possible to resize the .375 Ruger parent case to 300 PRC with the proper dies. I've looked over the SAAMI specs and they're not that different, but they're different at very critical points in the case, so I wasn't sure if annealing the .375 brass and then forming it in a 300 PRC sizing die would even be possible. I know it would be a long shot (no pun intended), if even possible at all.

I use a similar process to trim and size mixed headstamp .223/5.56 ammo for my .22 TCM ammo, And it gets great results so long as the case is properly annealed. So I wasn't sure if it would work for such a high powered rifle round or not. Any assistance or information that you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Joker

Last edited:
Not answering your question, but I (impulse) bought a Ruger 300 PRC about a month ago. I have had no trouble finding/buying Hornady 300PRC brass. It's not Lapua/ADG/Norma brass, but so far it has shot 1/2 MOA no problem. If I can get at least around 5 reloads from them then I will be extremely satisfied.

Would you be willing to share where your getting brass from? Every site i have found online, and every store i go to right now, is completely out of stock. Ammo and brass have both dried up. I'd love a nudge in the right direction of you have a source that's in stock.

Go to ammoseek and setup a search and notification. You can find the Hornady brass there (if in stock) or go to Gunbroker and buy some brass or factory loads.

I bought a 300PRC last month and been able to find factory ammo, brass and components, I just had to be patient. No luck with ADG brass though, it's just nor out there. Lapua is supposed to enter the 300PRC brass market in 2021.

3 weeks ago I was able to buy Hornaday 300PRC brass from both MidwayUSA and Powder Valley. I see it's out of stock at both places now, but it can be backordered at Midway and Midsouth.

For me the brass was easy. However I was not able to find the 225gr ELDMs I wanted so I got 500 A-Tip 230s. Ouch. I was able to find 4# of Viht N565 to start with which has worked great and I just scored 6# of H1000.

Even though I haven't been able to find a 'comfortable' shooting position yet, the rifle/load has produced consistent 1/2 MOA five shot groups. I should be uncomfortable behind all my rifles. :)

Ok. Thank you all for the advice. I guess I got myself worked up since I just bought the rifle. It's just my luck that there's a shortage on supplies, but I just need to remember to be patient. I'm just really excited to put rounds down range with this rifle.

Somewhere I saw a post about getting on a list (at Graf and Son's maybe?) for the Lapua brass that will be available next year (hopefully). Did anybody else read that? I sure would like to get my name added.

It was speculation about pre-orders and since Graf is a large distributor, the thought was to get with them to do so. It's on their web site at $1.49 a round, which is the same price as 300WM, but listed as out of stock.

I just placed an order and they have it down as a back-order for me. While I was at it I back-ordered some RL26 instead of just signing up for the alert. I'm hoping that way as soon as it's in, the back orders get filled first (at least that's my theory for now).

I just placed an order and they have it down as a back-order for me. While I was at it I back-ordered some RL26 instead of just signing up for the alert. I'm hoping that way as soon as it's in, the back orders get filled first (at least that's my theory for now).

Copy that, didn't even think of just adding them to my cart and paying. I just ordered 200 cases.