• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC Build Questions

Zetlock

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2020
Fredericksburg, VA
Looking to build a 300 PRC off a Bighorn Origin LA. I recently built a 6.5CM with the Origin action and have been very impressed. I also have the action wrench so I figure why not keep the same brand/style action so I can do my own barrel swaps. My intended use for this gun will 99% of the time be target shooting with the intention of competing in some sort of LR competition down the road. I hunt once or twice a year so I guess that will be the other 1%.

Questions:
1. I have the SA version of the origin. Are there any issues with the LA Origin that I may not know about?
2. Is there an optimized barrel length for this cartridge? I've found everything from 26"-30" and I understand this can be very subjective. I'll be honest, I probably won't want 30" but I do have 2 other guns with 26" so I'm definitely comfortable with the 26" barrel length. I'm wondering if there is a significant velocity/performance difference going from 26" to 30". Maybe 28" is a good middle ground?
3. Are there any Chassis/Stocks to stay away from that in anyone's experience requires extra milling/work to allow everything to function properly? I am really happy with my 6.5 build where I just screwed my action into my AI AT chassis and away I went. Looking for something as simple as that. Currently considering AI, MPA, MDT ACC, and McMillan A5 stocks.

Thanks ahead of time for any insight.

1. Great action it will work just fine for your build
2. What are you going to use the rifle for? Bench shooting, long range, hunting, safe queen? That will determine your barrel length. I have a 28.5" tube out of my DT. Not using it for anything other than shooting long range. If I'm hunting I'd go 26" . For every 1" your looking at around 50fps difference , rough estimate.
3. Pick a chassis that fits your needs

1. Great action it will work just fine for your build
2. What are you going to use the rifle for? Bench shooting, long range, hunting, safe queen? That will determine your barrel length. I have a 28.5" tube out of my DT. Not using it for anything other than shooting long range. If I'm hunting I'd go 26" . For every 1" your looking at around 50fps difference , rough estimate.
3. Pick a chassis that fits your needs
Use will by 99% long range target with the intention of taking this to a mile one and then longer. Possibly some sort of competition (maybe F-Class) but for now just target shooting with a possible hunt every now and then. (I only Bow hunt at this point). What contour and twist did you go with?

Reactions: fmetz
Use will by 99% long range target with the intention of taking this to a mile one and then longer. Possibly some sort of competition (maybe F-Class) but for now just target shooting with a possible hunt every now and then. (I only Bow hunt at this point). What contour and twist did you go with?
Since I'm running it in my DT nice and thick with 1/8 twist

30” and a MTU or heavy varmint.
I run a 30” MTU on my 338 and the extra weight is quite welcomed.

A heavy Palma is nice if you want something lighter, I like them on my 7mm.

Nice build! Looks like you're getting some great velocity with those 241s on the 26". I've called around to a few barrel makers and they've pretty much said I'd be good with a 28" M24 contour but I was leaning towards a 1/9. Do you know the minimum twist to shoot those 241s?

Reactions: Cheeseburger1976
Hi my name is Chase Fisher and I have been a gunsmith for 10 years and specialize in bolt action barrel work. Please take a look at my website www.fishertandc.com and ask any questions you may have. I would appreciate your consideration for your upcoming project.
Thanks, Chase
Email: [email protected]
Call or Text: 406-539-4684

Hi my name is Chase Fisher and I have been a gunsmith for 10 years and specialize in bolt action barrel work. Please take a look at my website www.fishertandc.com and ask any questions you may have. I would appreciate your consideration for your upcoming project.
Thanks, Chase
Email: [email protected]
Call or Text: 406-539-4684
Thank you. Do you have any suggestions on my build (mainly in regards to barrel contour/twist/length)?

If you want to do ELR with it do a straight 1.25 @30" 8 twist for the heavy Bergers or 7 twist for the solids.

Reactions: Cheeseburger1976
That's pretty cool. I appreciate all the insight everyone. I'll be figuring out what I'm going to do with my barrel soon.