• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

cool_potato

Private
Minuteman
Aug 17, 2019
I'm trying to get started on a 300 PRC build. I have an R700 in 300 win mag whose action I would like to convert and use as the base for this build. I know its possible with some gunsmith modifications, but I'm wondering if anyone has actually done it and if so, what the results were.

Thanks for any insight!

You don't NEED to do anything to use the action. It would be NICE to have the action blue printed, and the bottom milled to fit a Wyatt's box. Other's may disagree, but I think running a BDL configuration with a Wyatt's box is ideal for this round.

Reactions: cool_potato
You may need to open up the bottom side of the action near the feed ramp. Left and right side of the "rails" the bolt rides on may prevent the cartridge from fitting up through the feed ramp area.

Otherwise I haven't heard of any other necessary modifications to the action. The same thing has to be done when you want to make a WSM/SAUM out of a S/A m700.

Reactions: cool_potato
You don't NEED to do anything to use the action. It would be NICE to have the action blue printed, and the bottom milled to fit a Wyatt's box. Other's may disagree, but I think running a BDL configuration with a Wyatt's box is ideal for this round.
Thanks for the response, that’s kind of what I’ve gathered from the reading I’ve done, just wanted a second opinion.

I'm currently working on a 300 PRC using a Rem. 700 receiver. I figured there would be some feed and function work to do. I picked up a couple boxes of Hornady 212 and found the coal to be 3.670. Clearly, a Wyatts box and follower will be needed. 4 days later with Wyatts box in hand and a few measurements box vs receiver I decided that equal amount of material machined from each end of the magazine well would be my approach to fitting the Wyatts box. This work was accomplished on a simple 2axis cnc knee mill (proto trak m2). With machining complete and barreled action assembled it was clearly apparent that some ramp and rail work would be needed to achieve perfect feed and function of the 300 PRC. I opened the end of the rails just back from the feed ramp, this gave necessary clearance for the shoulders of the case. I also felt the feed to be a bit notchy, I added just a touch bow to rails 1/3 back from the feed ramp, this helps the case rise and also smooths out the transition of cartridges from box to chamber. As a career Smith spanning 30 + years primarily dealing with M70's and M98's
Conversions are common place in my shop, but generally deal with big bore rifles built for hunting dangerous game. In other details I've gone with a PTG one piece bolt, and bluprinted the receiver, single point, old school, GTR 8 screw, cat head. McMillan. K&P
1-9 ss light Palma. A personal shooter for me. Done tons of Mausers, figured why not pull the stops on 700 for shits and grins.

I used Rem. Bottom metal in my build. The 3 ptg bottoms I delt with had very poorly fit floor plate release levers and would not stay closed under recoil.
So far I've put 10 rounds thru it, all hornady commercial loads for a .650/3 shot group.
Once I get few more rounds thru it should hit its sweet spot and do a little better. I built it for Elk.

Attachments

• IMG_20191112_1445268_rewind.jpg
    IMG_20191112_1445268_rewind.jpg
    511.1 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_20191112_1539568_rewind.jpg
    IMG_20191112_1539568_rewind.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 171