• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC factory rifle

Biscuits

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2020
In the market for a 300 PRC, which will be my first 300 magnum rifle.

I've always bought factory rifles before, even if I have messed with them afterwards. Nearest rifles I already own to the 300 PRC are a factory Remington 700 308 when I put in a KRG Bravo stock and a Tikka TACA1 6.5 Creedmoor, still in the Tikka chassis.

Several people have recommended I get a semi-custom or custom 300 PRC.

These start about double the cost of a factory rifle. The factory rifles I'm thinking of are a Howa 1500 in a chassis, or a Bergara B14, either in the Bergara HMR stock or in a MDT ACC chassis.

Is there any reason not to get one of those factory rifles?

Usage will be 1000m - 2000m target shooting.

I was in a similar situation a few months back and was looking heavily at the HMR. Ultimately I decided to rebarrel a Weatherby MkV I already owned because I knew I was eventually going to want a carbon barrel and a carbon stock for hunting anyways. I think if you’re happy with factory rifles as-is, it’s probably a good choice. If you’re like me and always have to tweak factory offerings it may be cheaper in the long run to just build it the way you want it. Just my opinion.

Edit to add- between the two you mentioned, I would go with the Bergara. Much easier to tweak down the road due to more readily available aftermarket offerings.

Last edited:
If it were me, I'd go custom just off what you will be using it for. If it was a hunting rifle factory would be ok because factory options all come with lighter barrel contours.

An MTU or larger barrel is what you'll want if you're just laying down and shooting. You'll get better accuracy, longer strings of fire and that magnum won't be beating you up as bad.

You can build a custom barreled action for around $1600

Reactions: BJames
If you're really going to be pushing the distance (and 2000m is out there), the barrel starts to make a bigger difference. Bergara makes a good barrel, and their pro actions are quite nice (along with the TriggerTech trigger). I've owned the Pro version of the HMR and shot the base - spend the extra on the Pro if you go that route. With a Bergara, however, you are basically limited to their barrels due to their unique barrel configuration. Aside from that, it's an R700 format, so you can take advantage of a host of options.

On the Howa, I've never shot one so can't comment on the quality, etc. The main issue is the smaller number of aftermarket things you can add.

As for custom, if you can afford the difference, go this route. It will take a little longer, but you get a forever rifle. You also get things like an integral pic rail, and essentially infinite upgrade capabilities/barrels/etc.,

I have the Bergara B-14 HMR and the Ruger Precision Rifle. Both are serious tack drivers. The Bergara is more versatile, its light enough to hunt with and if you put an Area 419 brake on it the recoil is not bad. The Ruger is a tank and is a lot heavier. Both are outstanding rifles, I would recommend both, it comes down to what you will use it for. Cost wise the Bergara shoots as good as the Ruger and costs a whole lot less.

I have the Bergara B-14 HMR and the Ruger Precision Rifle. Both are serious tack drivers. The Bergara is more versatile, its light enough to hunt with and if you put an Area 419 brake on it the recoil is not bad. The Ruger is a tank and is a lot heavier. Both are outstanding rifles, I would recommend both, it comes down to what you will use it for. Cost wise the Bergara shoots as good as the Ruger and costs a whole lot less.
And is compatible with the R700 aftermarket.

I’ll also second the advice from @Rocketmandb to upgrade to the Pro version. It’s a much better value, and they basically upgraded all of the key parts while maintaining the good bits. Also, multiple places are now making barrel-nut prefits for the B14 action, so barrel replacements aren’t as costly/rare as they used to be either.

Reactions: Greenmoustache
i went the B HMR pro route.
shot about 2 boxes through it. i've had my complaints, but i will never go back to a Remington made rifle

Keystone accuracy makes fairly cheap barreled actions with an origin or TL3 if you feel the need to step it up. Slap that in a krg bravo and you'll have an OK start. That's what I did then I waited till the black friday MDT sale and upgraded from the Bravo.

At $1k, it's hard to beat what Bergara gives you.

My next step above that would be custom. There's a serious void in regards to diminished returns between $1,200,and a custom.

I've found a Bergara Wilderness HMR rifle for sale. This is the only factory 300 PRC in stock in the country (England). Not too expensive. Seems it has a 26 inch, 1 in 9 twist barrel which is 22mm diameter at the muzzle. If I was building a rifle, I'd choose a heaver barrel and a chassis, but I'm thinking this may be the right rifle at the right price as an introduction in to the world of .300 rifles (my next biggest rifle is a .308, followed by a 6.5 Creedmoor).

This is the model:

What do you think? Primary purpose is target shooting up to and past 1 mile. Secondary purpose hunting. Given this is the only 300 PRC which is likely to turn up in the country in the next 3 month, it is this or have a semi-custom made.

On the semi-custom front, one of my gunsmithing friends has found an action so I could get a semi-custom rifle built, but it would be about double the price all up.

There’s nothing wrong with that rifle(no direct experience here, just what I’ve read) but there is a real possibility that you could spend more buying a factory rifle and then upgrading. What factory parts are you going to replace with aftermarket? With that cost added to the price of the factory rifle, the difference in price will probably be washed away(especially if you assemble all these pieces yourself). Another point that has already been made but should be reiterated is about barrels. The ease of swapping barrels on a custom action is almost comical, whether you are just replacing a worn barrel or swapping to shoot different cartridges. Modern custom rifles are essentially Lego’s that produce smaller, more consistent groups.

Sorry for making this a more difficult decision…

There’s nothing wrong with that rifle(no direct experience here, just what I’ve read) but there is a real possibility that you could spend more buying a factory rifle and then upgrading. What factory parts are you going to replace with aftermarket? With that cost added to the price of the factory rifle, the difference in price will probably be washed away(especially if you assemble all these pieces yourself). Another point that has already been made but should be reiterated is about barrels. The ease of swapping barrels on a custom action is almost comical, whether you are just replacing a worn barrel or swapping to shoot different cartridges. Modern custom rifles are essentially Lego’s that produce smaller, more consistent groups.

Sorry for making this a more difficult decision…
Thanks for the reply. I probably wouldn't mess with the factory Bergara right away, if I get it. More like I'd try it out and only mess with it if I found something lacking. I guess if I messed with it, it would be to put it in a MDT ACC or Oryx chassis and change the barrel. But I'd only change the barrel if the 22mm diameter turns out to be too thin, or if 225 ELDM bullets aren't doing it for me and I wanted to use 250gr which afaik needs a faster than 1 in 9 twist.

One thing which is pushing me towards the factory Bergara, is I'm having trouble getting a straight answer out of gunsmiths if the Remington 700 long action/magnum bolt face in a MDT stock will actually feed a 300 PRC out of a magazine, or if you have to single load it. If I just buy the factory Bergara, I know it is going to feed out of the magazine.

Reactions: Uhlan and The D
Thanks for the reply. I probably wouldn't mess with the factory Bergara right away, if I get it. More like I'd try it out and only mess with it if I found something lacking. I guess if I messed with it, it would be to put it in a MDT ACC or Oryx chassis and change the barrel. But I'd only change the barrel if the 22mm diameter turns out to be too thin, or if 225 ELDM bullets aren't doing it for me and I wanted to use 250gr which afaik needs a faster than 1 in 9 twist.

One thing which is pushing me towards the factory Bergara, is I'm having trouble getting a straight answer out of gunsmiths if the Remington 700 long action/magnum bolt face in a MDT stock will actually feed a 300 PRC out of a magazine, or if you have to single load it. If I just buy the factory Bergara, I know it is going to feed out of the magazine.
Yes, MDT sells a cip length magazine that fits 300prc. You might run into a problem if you find some weird handloaded combo

Reactions: Biscuits
If you're really going to be pushing the distance (and 2000m is out there), the barrel starts to make a bigger difference. Bergara makes a good barrel, and their pro actions are quite nice (along with the TriggerTech trigger). I've owned the Pro version of the HMR and shot the base - spend the extra on the Pro if you go that route. With a Bergara, however, you are basically limited to their barrels due to their unique barrel configuration. Aside from that, it's an R700 format, so you can take advantage of a host of options.

On the Howa, I've never shot one so can't comment on the quality, etc. The main issue is the smaller number of aftermarket things you can add.

As for custom, if you can afford the difference, go this route. It will take a little longer, but you get a forever rifle. You also get things like an integral pic rail, and essentially infinite upgrade capabilities/barrels/etc.,
I've looked up the Bergara catalog and the Pro version seems to come in a skinny barrel only. 19mm at the muzzle. The Wilderness HMR (non-Pro) seem to have the thickest barrel Bergara make at 21.6mm/0.85 inch. Still not as fat as I'd like, but might be just enough. Plus the benefit is I can get it right away. A semi-custom as well as costing twice as much will take a few months to arrive.... this is the UK. Nothing happens fast with guns here.

I've found a Bergara Wilderness HMR rifle for sale. This is the only factory 300 PRC in stock in the country (England). Not too expensive. Seems it has a 26 inch, 1 in 9 twist barrel which is 22mm diameter at the muzzle. If I was building a rifle, I'd choose a heaver barrel and a chassis, but I'm thinking this may be the right rifle at the right price as an introduction in to the world of .300 rifles (my next biggest rifle is a .308, followed by a 6.5 Creedmoor).

This is the model:

What do you think? Primary purpose is target shooting up to and past 1 mile. Secondary purpose hunting. Given this is the only 300 PRC which is likely to turn up in the country in the next 3 month, it is this or have a semi-custom made.

On the semi-custom front, one of my gunsmithing friends has found an action so I could get a semi-custom rifle built, but it would be about double the price all up.
The Bergara is excellent. Dont pass it up!

This is the model:

Thats the model I have. I put an Area 419 muzzle brake on it. The one it comes with is ok but the 419 brake was amazing!