• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC Ideal Barrel Length

Vamike9

Patriot
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 17, 2017
    Virginia
    www.youtube.com
    Not sure of the 300PRC burn rate or what gets you the most bang for your buck in bbl length with this new cartridge?
    I just bought a Bergara B14 HMR Pro which I intend to hit 1 mile with in the near future.
    However, this rifle sports a 24in bbl instead of the 26in my 300Win Mag comes with.
    So I'm looking for some info on what a 24in bbl will get you in the 300PRC since MV is very important.
    Thanks in advance guys.

Your bullet selection will most likely show more variation than your barrel length at 1 mile. I've seen some vast differences in elevation to dial with different bullets. A few like to be great to 1500 yards and then throw a parachute out their ass and slow down and knuckle ball.

If you are going to be shooting mile and mile+ targets regularly....get a 28"+ barrel when you burn this one out. Run a 230 A-Tip or 230 Berger....or maybe even at 208 Berger...but something with a good BC....but consistent. The 245 EOLs and 250 A-Tips will probably not work as well in the shorty as you would like....plus...you gotta save the EOLs for me :)

Remember...just because your reloads can shoot one hole at 100 yards....doesn't mean it's a good load at 1000yds and/or 1 mile....make sure you got consistent Muzzle Velocities...because at 100 yards.....40fps difference can be in the same hole....at 1000yds you will see some serious vertical....at 1 mile.....hit...miss.....miss...hit....miss....it will be frustrating.

Very good info.
    I plan to try out the 225 ELDs
    with RL26
    Your bullet selection will most likely show more variation than your barrel length at 1 mile. I've seen some vast differences in elevation to dial with different bullets. A few like to be great to 1500 yards and then throw a parachute out their ass and slow down and knuckle ball.

If you are going to be shooting mile and mile+ targets regularly....get a 28"+ barrel when you burn this one out. Run a 230 A-Tip or 230 Berger....or maybe even at 208 Berger...but something with a good BC....but consistent. The 245 EOLs and 250 A-Tips will probably not work as well in the shorty as you would like....plus...you gotta save the EOLs for me :)

Remember...just because your reloads can shoot one hole at 100 yards....doesn't mean it's a good load at 1000yds and/or 1 mile....make sure you got consistent Muzzle Velocities...because at 100 yards.....40fps difference can be in the same hole....at 1000yds you will see some serious vertical....at 1 mile.....hit...miss.....miss...hit....miss....it will be frustrating.

Very good info.
    I plan to try out the 225 ELDs
    with RL26

225 ELD-Ms may frustrate you a little at 1 mile..and beyond....but try them out. The bullet to bullet consistency just isn't there. You can grab two rando's out of a box and hold them up beside each other....you can see a difference...and if you can see it...the wind will react to it.

225 ELD-Ms may frustrate you a little at 1 mile..and beyond....but try them out. The bullet to bullet consistency just isn't there. You can grab two rando's out of a box and hold them up beside each other....you can see a difference...and if you can see it...the wind will react to it.
    That's good to know
    Thanks

what is the barrel twist on this new rig?

some of these long 30cals bullets need 1:10 twist or faster, so make sure you are looking at a barrel with enough twist. Don't want to get a tube that is limited to 185grs or shorter bullets...

Most of us run 9 twist....some run a slight gain twist...but 9 is a happy spot.

Reactions: wildcats
    Yea
    I’d really look into the Berger’s
    superior down range consistency.
    I’d look into the 220LRHT

the 7mm 190LRHT has had excellent vertical at distance.

what is the barrel twist on this new rig?

some of these long 30cals bullets need 1:10 twist or faster, so make sure you are looking at a barrel with enough twist. Don't want to get a tube that is limited to 185grs or shorter bullets...
    1 in 9 bbl twist rate

It’s to late now that I’ve got my new barrel, but is 1in 8 to fast? I was hoping to use the 250 A-Tips or 245 EOLs. It’s an 28”.

I am running a 24" K&P prefit in 300 PRC... Just to give you an idea on velocity.

208 Berger LRHT
    Lapua Brass
    RL26 77gr to 81.5gr in 0.5gr steps gave me 2902fps to 3075fps on the MSv3.

YMMV... My top charge is .2 over Berger's given data but no concerning signs when looking at the bottom right primer / case head. No bolt lift difference between them either.

Attachments

• 245287547_298361921891984_2156479196916487745_n.jpg
      245287547_298361921891984_2156479196916487745_n.jpg
      104 KB · Views: 157
    It’s to late now that I’ve got my new barrel, but is 1in 8 to fast? I was hoping to use the 250 A-Tips or 245 EOLs. It’s an 28”.
    No, not too fast at all. You are good to go.

8 or 9 twist, good to go. Just don't buy a 12 twist 30cal.

The 8 twist may blow up 225 ELD-M's at high speed....but that's a simple fix...don't shoot 225 ELD-M's.

• Haha
    Reactions: bunny too
    Thanks. Im saving the 225s for my WM. If the 245s Nd 250s don’t work out I’ll use the 230 A-Tips.

Good luck finding the 245's....I have about 3,000 back ordered...they are slowly trickling in...and I'm buying every one of them I see....it's my main bullet and I shoot that many a year.

Will the 212s work in a standard chamber? I have a Shilen match barrel. How about load data. Edit - found load info.

Last edited:
    The 198gr PVA might work well in a standard chamber, at least it has for me. 9 twist is fine there too.
    What is the length of those 198? When I added those to app didn't seem to like the 9 twist below the 1.5 and lose bc. But maybe wrong info on my part or something

Yea
    I’d really look into the Berger’s
    superior down range consistency.
    I’d look into the 220LRHT

the 7mm 190LRHT has had excellent vertical at distance.
    Has anyone been able to find Berger 220 LRHTs?

Almost out and not seen any hit the market in many months. Saw the 208’s week or so ago, but no 220’s.

Great bullet! No issues at a mile.

What is the length of those 198? When I added those to app didn't seem to like the 9 twist below the 1.5 and lose bc. But maybe wrong info on my part or something
    1.80"
    I'm not sure what the ideal twist is. I have a 8.7, and I'm shooting them at 2800ish (from a long-action 308).

What bc are you using? And distance?
    0.410 G7 (believe that is my number, going from memory here, and a tad lower than the published number from Warner.)
    Have had it out to 2200 yds with 1st or 2nd round hits. She is right on the vertical plane with that BC. Have had it out further but this was in MT wind and pokes of this distance with a 308 are not "gimme" hits, to put it mildly.

0.410 G7 (believe that is my number, going from memory here, and a tad lower than the published number from Warner.)
    Have had it out to 2200 yds with 1st or 2nd round hits. She is right on the vertical plane with that BC. Have had it out further but this was in MT wind and pokes of this distance with a 308 are not "gimme" hits, to put it mildly.
    I'm in Colorado I know about that dang wind as well. I live at 5400 ft so I should be fine even with a loss in bc. Do you shoot pva or Warner tools? I know they are about the same

I honestly think the Warner Tool projectiles are a bit better from a manufacturing viewpt. but have shot both.
    I do know Josh at PVA and I respect him a good bit.

Reactions: category_theory
    I honestly think the Warner Tool projectiles are a bit better from a manufacturing viewpt. but have shot both.
    I do know Josh at PVA and I respect him a good bit.
    I'm curious now..... better tolerance? Or more consistent bullet to bullet?

I'm curious now..... better tolerance? Or more consistent bullet to bullet?
    It seemed to me the 'finish' on the Warner's is 'smoother' than PVA's. Does this matter? Who knows. Precision with paper groups might have been a bit better on the Warner's too, but again, it was close. I don't want to make this into a bigger issue than it probably is. I don't have enough facts/data on either conclusion.

It seemed to me the 'finish' on the Warner's is 'smoother' than PVA's. Does this matter? Who knows. Precision with paper groups might have been a bit better on the Warner's too, but again, it was close. I don't want to make this into a bigger issue than it probably is. I don't have enough facts/data on either conclusion.
    I was just curious on your thoughts. I do get what you are saying.

I’m just now breaking in a Shilen 5R 28” 1-8” barrel on my Howa. So far it looks like it’s going to be great barrel. I’m working on loads with RL-26 and 230 / 250 A-Tips. Haven’t decided which I’ll settle on yet.

Reactions: category_theory
    I’m getting a new barrel spun up but could only find a 1:9. I’m gonna have it cut to 30” I think. Looking to shoot mostly 225 eldms and 220 bergers…. Anyone playing with anything similar? I’m coming from a 26” barrel what kind of speed up will I see?

I ran the 225 ELDMs out of a 300 WM last year at about 2950. 26” 1-10”, shot real nice. I shot them out to 2,000. Haven’t used them in the PRC. I kind of wish I had gone with the 30”.