• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Divx1974

Private
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2023
Arizona
I am setting up a Savage 10 Elite in 300PRC to shoot 1 mile. I have secured Lapua brass and am looking for recommendations for powder/primer combos that have worked for others. I will shoot Hornady bullets, probably the 225gr ELD match. Thanks for the input.

I am setting up a Savage 10 Elite in 300PRC to shoot 1 mile. I have secured Lapua brass and am looking for recommendations for powder/primer combos that have worked for others. I will shoot Hornady bullets, probably the 225gr ELD match. Thanks for the input.

There is a whole long thread on the 300 PRC in the ELR section.

A lot to read, though, so here are my thoughts and observations:

- Your issue is going to be getting powder. I've found RL26 to be the best for the 300 PRC. It is next to impossible to find right now - actually, forget that, it's hard to find ANY TIME. It takes patience, persistence, and a lot of luck. Absent that, H1000 works well too, and I played a bit with Retumbo and it works decently well. Otherwise, similar speed powders as you can find them. I've not been able to get RL33 to work. People are reporting some luck with N565, and I think N568 would be interesting to try - I don't have a need as I've got 30+ lbs of RL26 on the shelf.

- Many people use Federal 215Ms for primers. I've actually found BR2s to be slightly more consistent. 215Ms are also difficult to find. Fortunately for me, BR2s are less so, and I've got a nice stash stocked up - those 215Ms I've been able to find are reserved for my 375.

- On the bullets, I'm not a fan of the Hornady polymer tipped products in this realm. I've been using Berger 230 hybrids and love them. Talk about impossible to find, though. Fortunately, they relatively recently came out with their 220 hybrids, which have a BC very close to the 230s. I have 1750 on the shelf waiting for me to shoot out my current barrel and drop on my new Bartlein gain twist. You can find 220s in stock. 245s also are interesting.

- Good job on getting the Lapua brass. Best out there for this caliber

- Are you going to buy a new Savage or rebarrel an existing?

Reactions: Divx1974
There is a whole long thread on the 300 PRC in the ELR section.

A lot to read, though, so here are my thoughts and observations:

- Your issue is going to be getting powder. I've found RL26 to be the best for the 300 PRC. It is next to impossible to find right now - actually, forget that, it's hard to find ANY TIME. It takes patience, persistence, and a lot of luck. Absent that, H1000 works well too, and I played a bit with Retumbo and it works decently well. Otherwise, similar speed powders as you can find them. I've not been able to get RL33 to work. People are reporting some luck with N565, and I think N568 would be interesting to try - I don't have a need as I've got 30+ lbs of RL26 on the shelf.

- Many people use Federal 215Ms for primers. I've actually found BR2s to be slightly more consistent. 215Ms are also difficult to find. Fortunately for me, BR2s are less so, and I've got a nice stash stocked up - those 215Ms I've been able to find are reserved for my 375.

- On the bullets, I'm not a fan of the Hornady polymer tipped products in this realm. I've been using Berger 230 hybrids and love them. Talk about impossible to find, though. Fortunately, they relatively recently came out with their 220 hybrids, which have a BC very close to the 230s. I have 1750 on the shelf waiting for me to shoot out my current barrel and drop on my new Bartlein gain twist. You can find 220s in stock. 245s also are interesting.

- Good job on getting the Lapua brass. Best out there for this caliber

- Are you going to buy a new Savage or rebarrel an existing?
Thanks for the input. I just started reloading and with materials so scarce I don’t want to waste time and money trying things that don’t work. I am going to buy the rifle new

Chambered in 300PRC. I live in the desert and have a spot I can shoot to 1.5 miles into a mt. I have hunting guns in 6.5 and 7mm that I play with out to 1000 yards. This will be my first 15 lb gun. Gonna go Nightforce scope and see if I can get to 1.5 miles. Attached is a pic of 1000 yards this weekend with my 6.5. I put 2 of 3 shots in the orange 6in square.

I hear you on the Bergers, I shoot the 156gr factory ammo in the 6.5. I used that factory ammo for that group in the pic. The problem with Berger is finding the bullets. They are beyond scarce. Let me know if you have any other input.

Attachments

• 10D26AD7-A9B4-406E-8D72-DFA9434FBBC6.jpeg
    10D26AD7-A9B4-406E-8D72-DFA9434FBBC6.jpeg
    359.7 KB · Views: 32
Thanks for the input. I just started reloading and with materials so scarce I don’t want to waste time and money trying things that don’t work. I am going to buy the rifle new

Chambered in 300PRC. I live in the desert and have a spot I can shoot to 1.5 miles into a mt.

Are you sold on the Savage? I went down a nearly identical route a number of years ago (300 WM then rechambered to 300 PRC) and the Savage hasn't seen sunlight in probably three years. Essentially, you're paying a lot of money for the extras (chassis, brake, etc.), all the while basing them around what amounts to a ~$400 action. A friend of mine is on the cusp of getting a 300 PRC and was looking at the Bergara, which is head and shoulders superior to the Savage, and I've got him convinced to get a barreled action and the chassis of his choice (Origin action).

I hear you on the Bergers, I shoot the 156gr factory ammo in the 6.5. I used that factory ammo for that group in the pic. The problem with Berger is finding the bullets. They are beyond scarce. Let me know if you have any other input.

There are 220s available:

@rustyinbend is playing the with 220s now and has lots of good to say.

Are you sold on the Savage? I went down a nearly identical route a number of years ago (300 WM then rechambered to 300 PRC) and the Savage hasn't seen sunlight in probably three years. Essentially, you're paying a lot of money for the extras (chassis, brake, etc.), all the while basing them around what amounts to a ~$400 action. A friend of mine is on the cusp of getting a 300 PRC and was looking at the Bergara, which is head and shoulders superior to the Savage, and I've got him convinced to get a barreled action and the chassis of his choice (Origin action).

I hear lots of good stuff on the 220s as well. I am not set on the Savage, just really like the stock. I am looking at the Bergara as well. I have a Bergara Wilderness in 7mm that shoots a jagged hole at 200 yards with factory ammo, that is my elk gun. A Bergara with a custom stock is an option.

Here's my favorite recipe ... I use Berger 220's in my 300 PRC Barrett MRAD. I've found Hodgdon Retumbo to be an awesome powder, and I use Federal LR Magnum primers. Hits the mile target any time I'm concentrating. Good luck.

1678583944539.png

This thread summarizes the reloading info from the thread RocketMan linked, plus more recent reloading info:

I've had good luck with the 230 grain A-Tip and have found them to be available. I've also had good luck with N565. Enjoy your quest.

Thanks for all the input. Powder valley had H1000 in stock yesterday so I bought 8lbs and a bunch of the 220 Bergers to go with the Lapua brass.

Hey guys. I'm working on a couple of new loads
Berger 230s with H1000 or 7828SSC
and
198 PVA solids over N565
My main question is about 7828 SSC/vs. H1000. I have option to get a good stock of either but I don't see a lot of folks using 7828 SSC and I'm just wondering why? Anywany heres the review vid. have a great week. trying to get to the mile this season.