• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC rifle help…

Fenix Mike

Minuteman
Aug 19, 2012
Tulsa, OK
I’ve been reading a bunch of the threads on here, and I got out of 300 win a while ago because I stopped loading and couldn’t find any solid factory ammo for a decent price… but now this 300 prc is out, and the hornady TAP ammo has very similar velocity/specs to the ultra hot 300 win loads I was making with 225 elds in my last two rifles (around 2850-2900 fps). With that, I’m thinking about getting back in to a bolt gun since I can just buy factory ammo at a decent price and still make hits at 1 mile, or destroy the steel at 1,000…
Where I’m having trouble is rifle selection. I was ready to snag one of the Bergara LRP rifles, or a HMR pro, but then I started reading about some being dissatisfied with the medium contour barrel. I really don’t want to do another custom build, or sink money into another MRAD or AX rifle because I just don’t shoot it enough, but I do prefer the weight of a heavy barrel rifle, and want consistency with my can on it. I’m really not a big Christensen fan, nor do I care for the RPR. Is there another sub $2,000 rifle or do I just need to get the Bergara and call it a day? If I go bergara, there are a few lrp rifles left on close out I can snag, or I can save $200 and get the hmr pro, which seems to still be pretty solid.

Thoughts? I guess another option is just wait and save up for a more premium rifle.

I second the Havak. These guns shoot lights out.
That seems to really be the only option to get a heavier barrel, they have the m24 profile. Barrett has the fixed stock/non quick change barrel mrad for just over 4k, but doesn’t seem like a ton of options outside of that, an AX, or the sub $2,000 guns. I may just wait to see who picks up 7mm prc and see if I get more options, but I really liked the ballistics of the 300 prc for 1000-1 mile

That seems to really be the only option to get a heavier barrel, they have the m24 profile. Barrett has the fixed stock/non quick change barrel mrad for just over 4k, but doesn’t seem like a ton of options outside of that, an AX, or the sub $2,000 guns. I may just wait to see who picks up 7mm prc and see if I get more options, but I really liked the ballistics of the 300 prc for 1000-1 mile
This would be a great option for LR / Target:

1673703308248.png

I have the havak element (aluminum action, carbon stock, 6 #'s) and it shoots very well. I can't imagine the heavier, more target focused version would be worse!

7 PRC is pretty intriguing for LR. Ballistics look great, splash is probably still significant enough to spot your own hits.

This would be a great option for LR / Target:

View attachment 8047035

I have the havak element (aluminum action, carbon stock, 6 #'s) and it shoots very well. I can't imagine the heavier, more target focused version would be worse!

7 PRC is pretty intriguing for LR. Ballistics look great, splash is probably still significant enough to spot your own hits.
I generally go to Shot every year, but had to work this time around, so maybe I will just be patient and see if anything new comes out. I had good luck in the past with an MRAD and axmc, but I don’t shoot 3 times a week anymore or hand load, so I’d hate to drop $4,000+ only to use factory ammo when so many off the shelf rifles are printing half moa without any mods.

Doing some more research on these, Im actually considering the Ruger RPR... I like the heavier barrel and overall weight, with the only real complaints being the occasional bolt snag. Reviews seem epic, as does the accuracy. I understand ruger fanboys will be ruger fan boys, so far EVERY thread on here has the Tikka fan boys coming in, and most of the Bergara guys seem happy, but with a caliber like 300 PRC, id like a heavier rifle overall. My last AXMC setup was just over 20 lbs for 300 win (nightforce glass, Surefire can, harris bipod and huge Bartlein barrel) and it shot like a dream. The more I talk to guys with a Christensen or similar light weight setup, the more I hear about how its a great gun, shoots well, but its just punishing to sit behind. At least with the Ruger, aftermarket barrels are also plentiful if I decide to change, and I can do it myself with regular tools. I think the second choice would be the Bergara, but I really dont care for the LPR chassis, the HMR Pro looks nice, but has the lighter profile barrel, and if I were to get either of those and then get a chassis, im getting close to being in a higher end rifle territory. Im tempted to get one of the new fixed barrel MRADs, but at near triple the price of the RPR or Bergara, it seems tough to justify the price difference.

I did glance at some "custom" setups, but nothing really offered what I wanted in this caliber, and once optioned out, they were quite a bit more money and had substantial wait times. I could step down to 6.5 PRC or wait for 7mm PRC, but I really like 30 cal, and the idea of $2.50 or less factory ammo for 1 mile capability and 4,000+ lbs of energy.

I shoot with guys with RPRs and they honestly hammer pretty good. Ones 6.5 is a honest .75 moa gun for 20 round strings. He can compete in f open midland matches. Another has a 300wm RPR and I can do .5 moa 5 round groups with it pretty easy, with handloaded bergers.
Save all your brass and start reloading.
With a RPR prefits are a phonecard away.

Reactions: Fenix Mike
Doing some more research on these, Im actually considering the Ruger RPR...
You know, I see so many hark on the RPR, but my first rifle is a RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor and after many years of learning and now able to build my own guns, I still can't quite bring myself to get rid of the RPR simply because it just shoots and does it extremely well.

You know, I see so many hark on the RPR, but my first rifle is a RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor and after many years of learning and now able to build my own guns, I still can't quite bring myself to get rid of the RPR simply because it just shoots and does it extremely well.
That seems to be the consensus among owners... some say its a bit clunky, but after having multiple MRADs, im used to that and it doesnt bother me because they were built like tanks and ate everything I put through them. I like the idea of being able to drop a precision heavy barrel into it later, and probably switch it to a Magpul PRS stock just so its nice and tight. I still really like the Bergara rifles, but it *appears* the RPR has a heavier barrel.

I don't think they've done the newest version RPR in long action yet. Probably worth a call/email to see - I'd have to change the Ruger "savage blade" trigger, and the new gen comes with a Triggertech.

I don't think they've done the newest version RPR in long action yet. Probably worth a call/email to see - I'd have to change the Ruger "savage blade" trigger, and the new gen comes with a Triggertech.
Buds has them for $1675 shipped, and I found the timney trigger for $239, so I figure that’s a pretty solid setup. Otherwise I can get the bergara lpr for about the same price (they are on close out). Ruger said the barrel is .875 at the muzzle, which makes me happy!

Buds has them for $1675 shipped, and I found the timney trigger for $239, so I figure that’s a pretty solid setup. Otherwise I can get the bergara lpr for about the same price (they are on close out). Ruger said the barrel is .875 at the muzzle, which makes me happy!

The only annoyance with the Bergara is the coned bolt, so prefits aren't as prevalent, but the Premier actions are really quite nice, and 700 everything else for compatibility. The RPR has lots of prefits including Proof as well as the Triggertech option soon, and starts out as a heavier platform, which sounds like it's preferable for you - I guess just make sure you like the feel of the chassis, but agree for your stated purposes, RPR sounds like the ticket.

Reactions: Fenix Mike
The only annoyance with the Bergara is the coned bolt, so prefits aren't as prevalent, but the Premier actions are really quite nice, and 700 everything else for compatibility. The RPR has lots of prefits including Proof as well as the Triggertech option soon, and starts out as a heavier platform, which sounds like it's preferable for you - I guess just make sure you like the feel of the chassis, but agree for your stated purposes, RPR sounds like the ticket.
I had a first Gen rpr in 308 back in the day, the only thing I disliked was the cheaper feeling stock setup, but I’d imagine there have been improvements in almost 10 years they have been out… either way a nice prs stock would also fix that :)

I’ve been reading a bunch of the threads on here, and I got out of 300 win a while ago because I stopped loading and couldn’t find any solid factory ammo for a decent price… but now this 300 prc is out, and the hornady TAP ammo has very similar velocity/specs to the ultra hot 300 win loads I was making with 225 elds in my last two rifles (around 2850-2900 fps). With that, I’m thinking about getting back in to a bolt gun since I can just buy factory ammo at a decent price and still make hits at 1 mile, or destroy the steel at 1,000…
Where I’m having trouble is rifle selection. I was ready to snag one of the Bergara LRP rifles, or a HMR pro, but then I started reading about some being dissatisfied with the medium contour barrel. I really don’t want to do another custom build, or sink money into another MRAD or AX rifle because I just don’t shoot it enough, but I do prefer the weight of a heavy barrel rifle, and want consistency with my can on it. I’m really not a big Christensen fan, nor do I care for the RPR. Is there another sub $2,000 rifle or do I just need to get the Bergara and call it a day? If I go bergara, there are a few lrp rifles left on close out I can snag, or I can save $200 and get the hmr pro, which seems to still be pretty solid.

Thoughts? I guess another option is just wait and save up for a more premium rifle.
I built my 300 PRC 3 years ago in my office w parts you can buy on line. It was a little over $2300 then. Defiance Ruckus action, Proof Research pre fit barrel, AG COMPOSITE STOCK, trigger tech trigger. Rifle has killed 30+ nilgai in two years.

Reactions: Obi-WanKannoli