• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.300 PRC & Ruger RPR & Injured Shoulders - Workable?

NearSighted25

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2023
UNITED STATES
I have a seriously messed up shooting shoulder that is on the mend (Tears, rips, surgery, injury and re-injury: tale of woe), yet have to have a .300 PRC due to reading too much about this cartridge.

Anyway, before I was really injured I've shot an RPR in .338 LM and thought it was great. Great price, great shooter and recoil tamed by a great brake and all that weight. My shoulder was ok then, though.

I cannot get my hands on a .300 PRC RPR to try out and I'm thinking that a .300 PRC in an RPR (Maybe with a TBAC one day if I'm super lucky) might actually be ok on my shoulder. I somehow went from wanting a 6.5 Creed to a 6.5 PRC and then I somehow went over the cliff and am definitely settled on a .300 PRC now.

I want the rifle to be a great 1500 meter bench/prone ride but also a humpable hunting piece. I think theres no way my shoulder can handle a lightweight .300 PRC even with a great brake and I don't even want to fire one. I know it depends mostly on my overall physical fitness but has anyone ever done something like this that can tell me what a bad idea it is?

What about the recoil just on a bench and prone? Picture a shoulder made out of paper towels and donuts.

Any ideas or suggestions on alternate platforms? MRAD is nice but not in the budget.

Much appreciated.

Last edited:
Wow that sounds like me lol no shoulder injury just back and forth about cartridge had a 6.5 prc sold it got a 6 creed thought about going back to 6.5 prc and now want a 300 lol 😂 I’ve handled an rpr in 300 it’s a tank so wouldn’t want to do a lot of off hand but for prone and bench with a good brake and maybe some external weights to heavy it up more I don’t think it would be a problem and like above 👆 use the other shoulder of it is…

Reactions: NearSighted25
I'm a lefty with right eye dominance, and years ago switched from shooting left handed to right handed for shotguns and rifles. It's amazing how the body can adapt. Switch shoulders!

Last edited:
Recoil pad-- just strap it over your shoulder. Had frozen shoulder + lightweight 300WM and a limbsaver on the stock, external recoil pad on shoulder, no brake, really settled things down

I'm a lefty and years ago switched to shooting right handed with shotguns and rifles. It's amazing how the body can adapt. Switch shoulders!

Recoil pad-- just strap it over your shoulder. Had frozen shoulder + lightweight 300WM and a limbsaver on the stock, external recoil pad on shoulder, no brake, really settled things down

Solid. Any recommendation on brand of shoulder recoil pad?

I have a seriously messed up shooting shoulder that is on the mend (Tears, rips, surgery, injury and re-injury: tale of woe), yet have to have a .300 PRC due to reading too much about this cartridge.

Anyway, before I was really injured I've shot an RPR in .338 LM and thought it was great. Great price, great shooter and recoil tamed by a great brake and all that weight. My shoulder was ok then, though.

I cannot get my hands on a .300 PRC RPR to try out and I'm thinking that a .300 PRC in an RPR (Maybe with a TBAC one day if I'm super lucky) might actually be ok on my shoulder. I somehow went from wanting a 6.5 Creed to a 6.5 PRC and then I somehow went over the cliff and am definitely settled on a .300 PRC now.

I want the rifle to be a great 1500 meter bench/prone ride but also a humpable hunting piece. I think theres no way my shoulder can handle a lightweight .300 PRC even with a great brake and I don't even want to fire one. I know it depends mostly on my overall physical fitness but has anyone ever done something like this that can tell me what a bad idea it is?

What about the recoil just on a bench and prone? Picture a shoulder made out of paper towels and donuts.

Any ideas or suggestions on alternate platforms? MRAD is nice but not in the budget.

Much appreciated.

Check out terminator muzzle brakes. The guy that makes them i guess runs videos on you tube on how effective they are. These brakes can reduce felt recoil like crazy! I run them on three rifles.

Check out terminator muzzle brakes. The guy that makes them i guess runs videos on you tube on how effective they are. These brakes can reduce felt recoil like crazy! I run them on three rifles.
(y)⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️,Also as DocRDS mentioned,Recoil pad-- just strap it over your shoulder.

Last edited:
you could use a towel around your shoulder , a shoulder saver or both a boot could work well enough , you might even add weight to the gun to cut some or most of the felt recoil if it bothers your shoulder .