• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC setup

ck1a

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2021
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
I've never reloaded rifle; only 9mm. Currently have a Hornady Lock n Load, and am the proud new owner of a Bergara 300 PRC rifle. Is it possible to get pretty good results with the LnL until I can scratch together enough nickels to get a really good single stage? I'd rather not go that route though, if the bushings, etc, that I'd buy for the LnL will bee useless with a single stage. That being said, if LnL is possible, what are some good dies I can get for, hopefully $150 or less? If I must spend more I will. When I can find them, I'll be using Lapua or ADG brass. I am not looking to be an F Class shooter, but want to be good. TIA.

I've never reloaded rifle; only 9mm. Currently have a Hornady Lock n Load, and am the proud new owner of a Bergara 300 PRC rifle. Is it possible to get pretty good results with the LnL until I can scratch together enough nickels to get a really good single stage? I'd rather not go that route though, if the bushings, etc, that I'd buy for the LnL will bee useless with a single stage. That being said, if LnL is possible, what are some good dies I can get for, hopefully $150 or less? If I must spend more I will. When I can find them, I'll be using Lapua or ADG brass. I am not looking to be an F Class shooter, but want to be good. TIA.

There are a number of good dies you can get. I recommend against Hornady for a sizing die. I use Whidden and am quite happy with them. For seating, I first used Hornady, then switched to Whidden, but as soon as LE Wilson made one for my arbor press, I switched to that.

As for bushings, for the majority of dies, they will be interchangeable. You can use your LnL with a 300 PRC die and be fine to start. Then you can upgrade later and use the same dies.

I am wanting to start reloading 300 PRC later this year. Given the current situation with powders I was thinking of just putting in a backorder now with Grafs or something. I would prefer to just buy an 8 lb jug and go with it. I have seen people using H1000, RL26, N565, N570, IMR8133, IMR7977 etc. I am after something to push 200-230 grain bullets. I am more interested in temp stable, consistent and clean than I am in max velocity. Any votes for one of those powder over the others? I already have some Lapua brass on order for whenever it comes in.

Also, is waiting to have once fired brass and getting a custom die from Whidden worth it? Or are the standard Full length bushing dies from Whidden for 300 PRC good enough?

I am planning to get a Wilson chamber seater.

I would prefer to just buy an 8 lb jug and go with it.
Realize that it's about 1lb per 50 rounds, so 8lb isn't a lot. If you find a stock of 8lb jugs, buy more than 1.

I have seen people using H1000, RL26, N565, N570, IMR8133, IMR7977 etc. I am after something to push 200-230 grain bullets. I am more interested in temp stable, consistent and clean than I am in max velocity. Any votes for one of those powder over the others? I already have some Lapua brass on order for whenever it comes in.

I've used H1000, RL26 and RL33. RL26 is the best, but is also the hardest to come by. I got good results with h1000 too. Also, forget about ~200gr bullets. Go for 215s, at least, and I'm liking 230s right now. @b2lee is playing with 245s and likes them. I'm going to be playing with them next. I've got 300 of them on the shelf, and another 500 on the way.

Reactions: BFuller
Also, is waiting to have once fired brass and getting a custom die from Whidden worth it? Or are the standard Full length bushing dies from Whidden for 300 PRC good enough?

I am planning to get a Wilson chamber seater.

I had to go custom... twice. My first chamber was a bit small, and my new one is smaller. If not for that, there would have been no need to go custom.

I actually have an extra standard Whidden click sizer for 300 PRC, it's just too big for my current small chamber. DO NOT get Hornady dies. They are too big (I have an extra one of those too).

Reactions: BFuller
Realize that it's about 1lb per 50 rounds, so 8lb isn't a lot. If you find a stock of 8lb jugs, buy more than 1.

I've used H1000, RL26 and RL33. RL26 is the best, but is also the hardest to come by. I got good results with h1000 too. Also, forget about ~200gr bullets. Go for 215s, at least, and I'm liking 230s right now. @b2lee is playing with 245s and likes them. I'm going to be playing with them next. I've got 300 of them on the shelf, and another 500 on the way.
The 200's would be a monolithic bullet for hunting if I worked up any of those. I am hoping that the Hammer Hunter 214 grain will work well, and I can hunt with those. I was thinking of giving the Bergers and A-Tips a try for target. I need to have lead free options for CA hunting.

My barrel is a 1-9 to 1-8 gain twist. 26 in long.

I had to go custom... twice. My first chamber was a bit small, and my new one is smaller. If not for that, there would have been no need to go custom.

I actually have an extra standard Whidden click sizer for 300 PRC, it's just too big for my current small chamber. DO NOT get Hornady dies. They are too big (I have an extra one of those too).
I will just try standard first, and if I have any problems I will go custom.

Fancy selling your standard or are you keeping in for future chambers that might be bigger?