• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC VS 28 Nosler?

Steve_O

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2020
Iam waiting for my MPA Matrix Chassis to be made and keep going back and forth on which cartridge to use out to a mile 300 PRC or 28 Nosler? I don’t have experience with either so need some help choosing. If I went 28 Nosler I would throat it for the 190 ATIPS or alike. I like the 300 PRC for the bullet weights and choices. What do you guys recommend? Thanks

I’d go with the one that’s easier to source for.
28 nosler brass choice is very limiting.
Both will make short work of a mile.

Iam having a hell of a time finding 300 PRC brass or factory ammo at the moment.

Iam having a hell of a time finding 300 PRC brass or factory ammo at the moment.
ADG makes great 300PRC brass and usually has a push of it every 3-4 months.
Possibly with todays market 28 nosler is easier to get as it’s a lot less popular.

Not a great time to be starting a new cartridge now.

ADG makes great 300PRC brass and usually has a push of it every 3-4 months.
Possibly with todays market 28 nosler is easier to get as it’s a lot less popular.

Not a great time to be starting a new cartridge now.

Would you recommend just waiting to find 300 PRC components or ammunition? Will be a few months before I finish my rifle anyway.

I thought about the 28 nosler for a while, but the barrel life killed it. What can you realistically expect? 800 rounds? You better find a good load pretty quickly. You're looking at about $1 a round in barrel depreciation alone.

The 190 A-tips out of the 28 Nosler would be potent as hell though, at least on paper.

I'd go 300PRC or drop down to a smaller capacity 7mm case. Maybe the saum or one of the sherman cartridges in a long action.

I thought about the 28 nosler for a while, but the barrel life killed it. What can you realistically expect? 800 rounds? You better find a good load pretty quickly. You're looking at about $1 a round in barrel depreciation alone.

The 190 A-tips out of the 28 Nosler would be potent as hell though, at least on paper.

I'd go 300PRC or drop down to a smaller capacity 7mm case. Maybe the saum or one of the sherman cartridges in a long action.

The Nosler would be very good but like you said the barrel life isn’t great. I know building a rifle in this year isn’t the best idea but I will have it when or if everything comes around component wise or I will just have a expensive wall piece lol. I guess I will just get 300 PRC stuff if or when it becomes available. I don’t have a barreled action yet but my chassis is ordered and being made at the moment.

Barrel life is far worse than stated on the 28 Nosler. Sold a reamer, dies, and brass without ever building one after a well known builder told me you’re looking at like 600 round barrel life. It’s well suited for a light recoiling laser elk rifle and not much else as far as I can see.

Barrel life is far worse than stated on the 28 Nosler. Sold a reamer, dies, and brass without ever building one after a well known builder told me you’re looking at like 600 round barrel life. It’s well suited for a light recoiling laser elk rifle and not much else as far as I can see.

As much as I want one for the ballistics I don’t want to deal with that barrel life. PRC it is then.

28 will get you there faster with less drop but lower barrel life, PRC gives you better velocity retention, greater selection of bullets with the ability for higher bc, with greater barrel life. Differences really won't show between the two until past 2k or so

Reactions: Steve_O
Iam waiting for my MPA Matrix Chassis to be made and keep going back and forth on which cartridge to use out to a mile 300 PRC or 28 Nosler? I don’t have experience with either so need some help choosing. If I went 28 Nosler I would throat it for the 190 ATIPS or alike. I like the 300 PRC for the bullet weights and choices. What do you guys recommend? Thanks
Take a look at 30 SM which is a improved 300 PRC. ADG w 30 SM stamped brass is usually available from Rich Sherman.... 40 degree shoulder equals less trimming. You can still shoot 300 PRC in the chamber w good accuracy. 30 SM will give you a edge w the 230/250 class over the 300 PRC.

^Agree, I went with a long-throated RUM for my fast .30, but I like Rich's cartridges - 6.5 SS is next on my list. FYI I read in the Sherman thread that there was an issue with PRC dies, not sizing all the way down and causing problems - hopefully that has been figured out.

He has a new 30 cartridge coming out. Shorter, fatter powder column on a .550 fp. Like a MAX case on steroids. I believe it’s close to the 300 NM but on a .550 BF. I will try to post the case capacity latter today!

I have a 30 SM build coming for my son but will be going w custom Whidden dies or Custom Redding Dies once I get fire formed brass. Don’t really want to use his custom Hornady dies.

He has a new 30 cartridge coming out. Shorter, fatter powder column on a .550 fp. Like a MAX case on steroids. I believe it’s close to the 300 NM but on a .550 BF. I will try to post the case capacity latter today!

The MEGA - looks like a WSM improved, as it's WSM + 3 grains according to Rich. Would be sweet to run off of a Tikka @ ~3.3ish coal, but can't compete with a big long action mag.

Reactions: BCX
I had a 7.82 Warbird in another life. We were done with the barrel at 450 rounds.

28 Nosler is really interesting, but since I have already been down that road before. I'd prefer the 300 PRC.

With the lack of 300 PRC and ammo at the moment should I just go with a 300 win mag with 230 ATIPS? Did some research and it don’t seem like the Win Mag gives up much to the PRC.

Reactions: mudpig
With the lack of 300 PRC and ammo at the moment should I just go with a 300 win mag with 230 ATIPS? Did some research and it don’t seem like the Win Mag gives up much to the PRC.
My 2 cents for right now and these times i would go 300 win mag you can find brass and i dont think the 300 prc is that much better than the win mag. Have it throated longer and the win mag is really nice for 1 mile

Reactions: mudpig and BCX
My 2 cents for right now and these times i would go 300 win mag you can find brass and i dont think the 300 prc is that much better than the win mag. Have it throated longer and the win mag is really nice for 1 mile

Is it possible to get a 230 in the WM to 2900 FPS or so? And if so what brass/powder/primers are you using. Thanks

Popped in a bass pro on thursday, 28 nosler was literally the only ammo on the shelf.

Is it possible to get a 230 in the WM to 2900 FPS or so? And if so what brass/powder/primers are you using. Thanks
At one time i had a 28 inch 300 win mag throated long shot 225 eldm at 2930ish h1000 and fed 215. I had a load at mag length 3.730 doing 2880 225 eldm and h1000. It will be hard to get the 2900 unless you set bullet out and longer barrel

Reactions: mudpig
At one time i had a 28 inch 300 win mag throated long shot 225 eldm at 2930ish h1000 and fed 215. I had a load at mag length 3.730 doing 2880 225 eldm and h1000. It will be hard to get the 2900 unless you set bullet out and longer barrel

This build will be a 26 inch barrel that I will be loading from a magazine. Hopefully this will be a good set for a mile and under using a 230 ATIP.

I bought a 28 Nosler pre-COVID and many friends tried to talk me out of it due to ammo availability (justly so). Ironically, it’s one of the few cartridges I can find now a days.

I agonized over this same thing a couple of months ago, and I have 28 Nosler components for a hunting rifle. I decided to go with a 300 win mag 28" 1:8 Bartlein barrel throated long and using CIP length mag. Grafs has Peterson brass on a regular basis. Just got some Peterson 300 WM "Long" brass to try. I don't see any material difference between the 300 PRC and 300 Win Mag when using the same barrel configurations. It's at the smith now. Can't wait to try it out.

Reactions: Quest1000
I've got a long throated 300WM that shoots 215gr Bergers at 2970fps. 28" barrel and quite the tack driver. Using Win brass, Win Mag Primers, H1000. COAL about 3.7" Brass is on it's 9th firing so far and going strong.

Reactions: Aftermath
Hell, you can make a mile with the 6.5 PRC pretty damn easily, folks do it with the creedmoor with varying degrees of success (not ideal for sure).
Much lower recoil, more enjoyable to shoot.
Ammunition is every bit as unobtainable as most other cartridges.

I've got a long throated 300WM that shoots 215gr Bergers at 2970fps. 28" barrel and quite the tack driver. Using Win brass, Win Mag Primers, H1000. COAL about 3.7" Brass is on it's 9th firing so far and going strong.
Mine is being throated for 230 SMKs at 3.75 COL. Hoping for 2850 - 2900 with a 28" barrel.

Mine is being throated for 230 SMKs at 3.75 COL. Hoping for 2850 - 2900 with a 28" barrel.
Im very interested in those i was going to shoot them but got rid of project and went to a few other cals but since i had 300 win mag brass im doing a 7mm-300 win mag 197 smk

Im very interested in those i was going to shoot them but got rid of project and went to a few other cals but since i had 300 win mag brass im doing a 7mm-300 win mag 197 smk
That should work well. I believe the 197's have the same ogive profile as the 230's.

The guys over on accurate shooter have a 30-28 nos thread going. Might wanna check it out

Reactions: TrevK
Maybe.
I have 2 identical chambered 300WM from Charley Robertson. One is what I call the heavy, MacMillan A5, Brux heavy palma barrel at 27", etc. The other is lighter in a MacMillan Game Warden. Both built with the same reamer.
I can get 210 Bergers to 3100 fps before pressure but the accuracy node is 2950 fps. That velocity with 210 VLD's seems to be the sweet spot because I also have a 30 Nosler and it came in with 2950 fps being the most accurate. I haven't tried any of the 230's...I still have about 15000 210's to launch.

300 Win Mag... then easily just rebarrel to 300 PRC when you're ready and willing to "upgrade". You will find you don't need to.

I realize you're not asking about 300 PRC, but just FYI: With factory Hornady 225 ELDM, I get over 3000 fps, up to about 3050 on a 90 degree day. Handloading 230 A-Tips into Atlas brass, I get about the same MVs without signs of pressure. AX/MC, 30" Bartlein, 1:9.

Reactions: Surferjoe
I realize you're not asking about 300 PRC, but just FYI: With factory Hornady 225 ELDM, I get over 3000 fps, up to about 3050 on a 90 degree day. Handloading 230 A-Tips into Atlas brass, I get about the same MVs without signs of pressure. AX/MC, 30" Bartlein, 1:9.

I just picked some factory 300 PRC loads and some 230 ATIPS for reloading.

300 Win Mag... then easily just rebarrel to 300 PRC when you're ready and willing to "upgrade". You will find you don't need to.
^^^This
I "upgraded" to 30Nosler but ended up at the same velocity anyway due to the accuracy thang. I think it has to do with just how fast a particular bullet likes to fly. The one advantage, and it's very minor, is the lack of the belted case. However, I have maybe 1000 300WM cases and am getting anywhere from 5 to 15 reloads out of a case, depending on case manufacturer, so the "upgrade" was just added armament. Also, 300WM factory loads are about half the cost.

Last edited:
Reactions: livingthedream
Have any of you gentlemen running a 300 WM tried IMR 8133 with the 225-230 grain bullets? My load info shows slightly higher MV and modest pressure increase than the usual favorite powders (H1000, RL-22, retumbo). I just picked some up to try with some 230gr MK's, all in hopes of taking a poke at a mile for the first time.

^Not 300 Win, but I have a load for 300 RUM with 8133 and Berger 220's and Hornady 225's. It does hit pressure sooner than N570 in my rifle, but great SD's and accuracy.

Reactions: NCHillbilly
Have any of you gentlemen running a 300 WM tried IMR 8133 with the 225-230 grain bullets? My load info shows slightly higher MV and modest pressure increase than the usual favorite powders (H1000, RL-22, retumbo). I just picked some up to try with some 230gr MK's, all in hopes of taking a poke at a mile for the first time.
I've been trying to buy 8133, but unsuccessful so far. I'd like to try that with 230's as well.

I ended up loading a bunch of Nosler 210gr rdf's with the 8133 that I had. I haven't shot them yet, but they have a crazy high B.C., so fingers crossed that this will be a good load. Should push them past 2900 fps. I'll report back after firing them.

I agonized over this same thing a couple of months ago, and I have 28 Nosler components for a hunting rifle. I decided to go with a 300 win mag 28" 1:8 Bartlein barrel throated long and using CIP length mag. Grafs has Peterson brass on a regular basis. Just got some Peterson 300 WM "Long" brass to try. I don't see any material difference between the 300 PRC and 300 Win Mag when using the same barrel configurations. It's at the smith now. Can't wait to try it out.
I was finally was able to stretch out the 300 Win Mag over the weekend. I have to say I'm very pleased with the results. This was also the first time I didn't have to do a tweaking to the Kestrel ballistic calc. The calculated elevation was dead on at 750, 1250 and 1740 yards. I settled on H1000, 230 SMK at 2.870" (.030" jump), and 215m's. Getting just over 2900 FPS (via Labradar) with single digit SD and no pressure signs.