• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC vs. 300 RUM

Bandit320

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2018
Missouri
Hi all. I’ve have a PRC build at the smith but it’s not assembled yet. (Howa 1500; Shilen Select Match, 28”, 1-8”, 4 groove ratchet rifling).

Right now I’m shooting a 300 WM (26”, 1-10” twist) and I’m loading it long for single feed (approx. 3.7”). Last time checked I was getting 2900 with 225 ELDMs. Primers are flattened, but no marking of the cases or hard bolt lift.

I guess I’m second guessing myself because I’m wondering if the PRC is going to give a significant improvement or if I should have my smith re-chamber it for the RUM.

Out at Spearpoint the WM worked well at 2000 yards, but I don’t think it’s up to the 1 1/2 I’d like to shoot. Is the PRC good for that distance or should I go with the RUM. How much increase in performance would that change give. I’d like to stick with 30 cal on this build since I have plenty of bullets from the WM.

Thanks so much for your thoughts.

I am looking at building a PRC now but I do not have a 300WM, if I did I would be going to the 300NM. The COL for the PRC is 3.7 which is what you are doing now with the single feed

No the 300 PRC is not a significant increase over the WM in general. Of course this is just my opinion.

I am really interested to hear what you decide.

I was thinking of the RUM since I can use the same bolt face. I don’t know if the Howa 1500 action will handle a NM.

I was thinking of the RUM since I can use the same bolt face. I don’t know if the Howa 1500 action will handle a NM.
Unfortunately I think you are correct the Action and Bolt Face for the NM is larger. If you want to go in a different direction the 7 SAUM would be interesting

300 rum throated long for the 250 a-tips single feed because it would be very long but wow the performance you would have. You also could shoot some pva 212 or the 241 pva and really get some performance.

300 rum throated long for the 250 a-tips single feed because it would be very long but wow the performance you would have. You also could shoot some pva 212 or the 241 pva and really get some performance.
It would be a laser beam
241’s a a leisurely 3100
9CF8C55B-C78B-4BC6-B29D-BBF4D8419583.png

Last edited:
My dad is doing a long range 300 win mag 230 a-tip should be around 3.898 to lands single feed it. Going to be impressive

Rum. The prc will be about the same as your wm at 3.7. I have a 300 wm built on a weatherby vanguard action. Same as your howa. I’m sure you’ve noticed that they have short mag box and I have to pull bolt to eject live round with the 205gr sbd2’s. And that’s after modifying the bolt stop. Rum will be same issue

Reactions: Steel head
I think I tried some 225 ELDMs loaded to 3.860 in the factory barrel and those feed through the magazine. It’ll be interesting to see how this new barrel is throated.

The PRC was designed to shoot heavier lead than the WM
You can hand load a warmer than factory WM to come very close to PRC. But as you’ve stated, 225 in the WM is about your max length/weight.
PRC 225 is the original factory weight
@.777, 230’s all the way up to 250’s are significantly better.
Sounds to me like the OP first needs to figure out how much lead he wants to sling. Once he’s settled on a grain weight, figure what caliber best suits that grain as far as performance, cost, barrel life etc.
Personally, I think the PRC is more than enough.
But if OP is looking at shooting 250’s or heavier, then I’d switch calibers. My 2c
Cheers

Last edited:
I think I tried some 225 ELDMs loaded to 3.860 in the factory barrel and those feed through the magazine. It’ll be interesting to see how this new barrel is throated.
Wow. That’s longer than my action would feed with factory setup! 3.6 was max in factory form

It depends on what 300 wm you’re comparing the PRC to. If it’s a winmag that’s been throated for heavies, the two cartridges are virtually identical. If you have a standard winmag chamber, and that puts 225/230 class bullets way down Into the case, the PRC will likely outperform it. The PRC is merely a blown out AND shortened winmag. The resulting capacity is the same, but in a shorter overall length.

Welcome to the Hide.

That post is obviously written by someone bent on selling the PRC. Do you have one of these cartridges set up for ELR? Lots of good info hear on the forums if you want to see how people set these cartridges up for ELR.

My favorite was the 6.5-284 was better than 300 win mag for hunting. Breaking it down from drops to energy ect. Didn't compare fair highest 6.5 bc bullet and a low bc for win mag

The 300 prc gives almost the same fps with a 230 gr berger if loaded correctly at the same pressures. Only 15 fps difference. The advantage of the 300 prc is for the none reloader. Case capacity is within 2 grains of each other, 95 gr vs 97 gr.

If you don't mind a single shot the 300 rum loaded at 4+" with 245 or 250 is absolutely devastating. On the ones I masured 300 rum case capacity 110 gr, 300 lapua 111 gr, 300 norma 104 gr, 300 norma improved 108 gr.

300WM and 300 PRC are almost identical. If you want a signifocant step up do the RUM.

If you want bigger than that get a second rifle in 300NM or 338LM

If you are going to rebarrel go with the RUM. I’m currently single feeding the 245s out of a 30” Benchmark progressive twist 8.75 to 8.25 left hand 5R barrel at 3115fps.
I have a straight 8, left hand, 5R, 32” bull barrel being built for a JGS custom reamer that I have that is throated for the 250s. The COL for the 250s is 4.210 at oj it is 3.343. I can push the 245s into the 3150 range but I’m sure it would not work in the summer as it is a HOT load so I have dropped to the next lower node at 3115. I’m just finishing load development for this barrel. I only have 224 rounds down the pipe and it has not settled in just yet. Powder will be the problem. I have been between rl33, 869 and a few others with the ones listed performing the best so far with the 869 leading.
I’m hoping the 250 will settle at the 3100 + range. You will need the extra barrel length to achieve these velocities.
I shoot next to a WM that is dialed in and can shoot out to 2500 yds accurately wind permitting. He shoots the 230 ATips at 2920 and also shoots 225s at 2960.
At almost $4.00 per case for the RUM, Nosler brass and dies required and powder charge @ 100+ grains the WM @ 75 ish grains is by far cheaper to shoot.
My random thoughts

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    553.6 KB · Views: 224
As others have already noted, if you make your own loads for 300WM and you have a long enough mag feed (or single feed) then 300PRC is not a significant upgrade over 300WM. However with factory rounds, 300PRC is a big upgrade over 300WM.

Is there a specific reamer you all are using for the RUM that allows the 245 / 250s to be seated so long? Thanks

If you are going to rebarrel go with the RUM. I’m currently single feeding the 245s out of a 30” Benchmark progressive twist 8.75 to 8.25 left hand 5R barrel at 3115fps.
I have a straight 8, left hand, 5R, 32” bull barrel being built for a JGS custom reamer that I have that is throated for the 250s. The COL for the 250s is 4.210 at oj it is 3.343. I can push the 245s into the 3150 range but I’m sure it would not work in the summer as it is a HOT load so I have dropped to the next lower node at 3115. I’m just finishing load development for this barrel. I only have 224 rounds down the pipe and it has not settled in just yet. Powder will be the problem. I have been between rl33, 869 and a few others with the ones listed performing the best so far with the 869 leading.
I’m hoping the 250 will settle at the 3100 + range. You will need the extra barrel length to achieve these velocities.
I shoot next to a WM that is dialed in and can shoot out to 2500 yds accurately wind permitting. He shoots the 230 ATips at 2920 and also shoots 225s at 2960.
At almost $4.00 per case for the RUM, Nosler brass and dies required and powder charge @ 100+ grains the WM @ 75 ish grains is by far cheaper to shoot.
My random thoughts
I imagine barrel life is not so good at these levels?

Is there a specific reamer you all are using for the RUM that allows the 245 / 250s to be seated so long? Thanks
It is a custom match chamber reamer with the throat set to allow the bullet base to sit at the neck and shoulder junction of the case. You can use a throat cutter also to set the length, but it may not have the alignment you need for Ultra long range performance. >2.5k

If your concerned with barrel life the rum is not for you. <1k
There is a trick that I’ve learned. Do your load work at 80% for a 100 rounds or so and it will harden the chamber, throat and the base of the brass. Then step up to your desired load. I had 3800 rounds out of my last barrel (30” benchmark bull) shooting the 245 molly coated at 2980 not blazing fast but it was still sub MOA rifle at a 1000.
I’m not expecting that performance from this one as I am going to push this one hard.

Your running that with Norma brass? how much jump you running?
Nosler which to my understanding is Norma but it is headstamped Nosler. Nosler boxed is Very consistent. Less than .5 grain difference in 25 pieces. - .003 into the lands was the best seating I found from -.010 out to .021 tho. Be very careful when jamming into the lands as pressure will increase dramatically!

I've got all 3, 300wm, 300prc, and the 300RUM, the rum is the king of the 3. In identical length barrels and shooting bullets of same weight the RUM will be 100-150fps faster than the other two. I like them all, but for going out to mile or farther I want my RUM.

Nosler which to my understanding is Norma but it is headstamped Nosler. Nosler boxed is Very consistent. Less than .5 grain difference in 25 pieces. - .003 into the lands was the best seating I found from -.010 out to .021 tho. Be very careful when jamming into the lands as pressure will increase dramatically!
That's why I ask. I'm running into the lands with 245's and N570, 3100 fps was about max. accuracy at 3020 ish.

Reactions: Earnhardt
It depends.If you want max performance the rum in a good barrel meaning one of the custom barrel makers will rock if you tweak the throat a little. In a factory at least a Remington I had it is not so much. With the ADG brass the 300 prc is very easy to get good results. And even in a wyatts box you will use almost all of it with a prc.

I'm still stuck on yesterday's hot load of a Berger 210 out of the RUM. I had it going much faster but got best accuracy at 3060fps out of a 28" Hart.

Last barrel liked Retumbo, this one is tight bored and prefers H1000.

It's not the latest 240ish whatever but it is a hammer at distance and not quite so hard on components.

Regardless, I sold off the 338lm and 300wm as the RUM has proven to be superior to both, albeit in different ways.

Why the 300 RUM?…
215 Bergers at 3230, that’s why. :)
I gotta ask, what barrel length? powder and charge?
I'm running the 215's at 3110fps out of a 28" barrel with H1000. I quit load development when I passed 3100, (no pressure signs, just nervous with the amount of powder I was using) plus load is very accurate.

I'm running the 215's at 3110fps out of a 28" barrel with H1000. I quit load development when I passed 3100, (no pressure signs, just nervous with the amount of powder I was using) plus load is very accurate.

28" Krieger 10 twist here and 220 LRHT's @3170 fps from 93 grains 8133 and 3.94 COAL (15 off). 10/10 on 3" steel @ 460yds is typical when I'm on. 8-9/10 on 5" steel @910yds when wind cooperates.

!!
My 300 win 2960fps 215's are VERY jealous

H1000 is actually a bit too fast for rums in my opinion.
But if your conservative it obviously will work.