• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 prc vs 338 lapua

benchmstr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2007
CEO Team waffle house
I need help!

I never thought I would be able to shoot a magnum rifle again so I sold off my newly built 300 prc to my dad.

fast forward 2 years! My shoulder is better than it ever was and it’s time to mess it up again.

This rifle will be my general elr, long range hunting rig. I will reload exclusively for it..but am selecting these calibers because I can still easily buy either factory loads off the shelf where I’m at if I’m in a bind.

Which one of these 2 would y’all build if you were going to build one.

price of ammo is not an issue to me, and I’m not interested in any other calibers.

If you have to ask, 300 PRC. I doubt you would see the benefit of 338 unless you had access to special long ranges. Hunting + 338 Lapua is probably not a good idea--it likes big long heavy barrels for max performance. Nothing in North or South America requires 338. Most of us would be hard pressed to push the difference in a 6 or 6.5 vs a 30 caliber, let along 338. If you are the 1% who can, you'd know already ;)

If you have to ask, 300 PRC. I doubt you would see the benefit of 338 unless you had access to special long ranges. Hunting + 338 Lapua is probably not a good idea--it likes big long heavy barrels for max performance. Nothing in North or South America requires 338. Most of us would be hard pressed to push the difference in a 6 or 6.5 vs a 30 caliber, let along 338. If you are the 1% who can, you'd know already ;)
I’m adding it in there because I sold my 338 to fund my 300 prc build…I never got to really work with the 300 prc before I sold it off..maybe 600 rounds.

As far as range goes..I live on 40 acres with about 15 miles of rice/cotton fields that I have full access too…I have never ranged my max range..but I shoot to 1300 regularly with short actions…shooting by myself though I’ve kinda self limited on shooting the shorter 1300 based on something I heard Jeff brozovich say

338 lapua(you could go ai also) and get another barrel chambered in 300 norma. Best of both worlds

Reactions: BCX and BuLLet
Can you just shoot the one you sold to your dad? (I go to the family ranch my parents live on and shoot every weekend so obviously geography has some part in this, dad likes when I shoot his stuff because I’ll develop and reload for it)

My last 2 300 Norma barrels lasted less than 700 rounds…never running that turd again lol

Tell that to the hundreds of competitors I've smoked in matches. Whether they were using the 'has been' 338LM, 338's in 375 bolt face, 375's, 416's and eveything below.

That's why everyone is switching to it or back to it. Bryan Litz got smoked with his 338 Enabelr at last years NF ELR Match, came back this year and won it with a 300NM.

Just cause you couldn't make it work, doesn't mean the cartridge doesn't work.

Every time we go to WY, we're just shooting 250 rounds in a 3 day span

Last edited:
Reactions: airborne_trooper
Not wasting any more time with a Norma..it’s ballistically a great round..but 600-700 round barrel life doesn’t work for me
Fair enough, if you’re not competing then you can pick whatever you want.

Tell that to the hundreds of competitors I've smoked in matches. Whether they were using the 'has been' 338LM, 338's in 375 bolt face, 375's, 416's and eveything below.

That's why everyone is switching to it or back to it. Bryan Litz got smoked with his 338 Enabelr at last years NF ELR Match, came back this year and won it with a 300NM.

Just cause you couldn't make it work, doesn't mean the cartridge doesn't work.

Everything we go to WY, we're just shooting 250 rounds in a 3 day span
It is a better round…but I’m not playing that barrel life game anymore

The .338 is not bad... It had its day and for a long time was the best thing going in the 'genre'... But IMO the better options today flank it. .30 cal or .375.

.300 PRC or .300 wm is nice purely for not needing a L/M bolt face action. If you run numbers on some of the 215-250gr .30 cal options next to the .338 stuff it makes the decision even easier. FWIW the .300 PRC barrels I toasted lasted ~1100-1200 rounds.

Put me down for Peoples Republic of China (PRC). You can thank me later.😆

The .338 is not bad... It had its day and for a long time was the best thing going in the 'genre'... But IMO the better options today flank it. .30 cal or .375.

.300 PRC or .300 wm is nice purely for not needing a L/M bolt face action. If you run numbers on some of the 215-250gr .30 cal options next to the .338 stuff it makes the decision even easier. FWIW the .300 PRC barrels I toasted lasted ~1100-1200 rounds.
The 338 lapua is definitely antiquated..it was developed in the early 80’s! And while the 300 Norma is great on paper and on target..it’s still not the best in class..the 300 lapua smokes it in every way.

it’s hilarious to see other guys in this thread get defensive about how different casings shooting the same bullets at almost identical velocities are better that one another lol

Reactions: The D
Yeah, I'd have to agree on this one.. even for those calling good cartridges turds!

My last 2 300 Norma barrels lasted less than 700 rounds…never running that turd again lol

it’s hilarious to see other guys in this thread get defensive about how different casings shooting the same bullets at almost identical velocities are better that one another lol

The 338 lapua is definitely antiquated..it was developed in the early 80’s! And while the 300 Norma is great on paper and on target..it’s still not the best in class..the 300 lapua smokes it in every way.

Just curious, what is the barrel life of 300 Lapua?

1000 to 1500 depending on how hot. Could get longer if minimum loading. For 338 Lapua.... No idea what 300 is as I don't have one.

Just curious, what is the barrel life of 300 Lapua?

Reactions: The D