• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 prc vs 6.5 prc

benchmstr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2007
CEO Team waffle house
I am getting old...

I just said it!

With that being said I have a problem. I tore my rotator cuff all to hell a few weeks ago and will have to undergo surgery. I am a competitive powerlifter and have already been told that thats likely never going to happen again.

so, in the interest of preserving what shoulders I have left...what do yall think of the 6.5 PRC?

I already have a 300 PRC built and love it...have shot it for a better part of the year...but do not know if the recoil vs compromised shoulder will be enjoyable anymore.

so, keep the 300 prc and chance it...or go down to the 6.5 prc?

This will be an all around long range steel/ hunting rifle....will never compete with it.

bench

300 PRC is a bit much for me sometimes and I've never injured my shoulder... Better have a heavy barrel and a good brake if you're going to keep shooting it.

Depending how long “long range steel” is I’d probably back down the recoil to something even less than 6.5 PRC.

Either that or get yourself a chassis system where you can add a hell of a lot of weight to it to tame recoil

Depending how long “long range steel” is I’d probably back down the recoil to something even less than 6.5 PRC.

Either that or get yourself a chassis system where you can add a hell of a lot of weight to it to tame recoil
I am not interested in going down to anything non magnum...the 6.5 prc is as low as im willing to go.

bench

Reactions: Backcountryguy
why no non magnums? There are some awesome cartridges that will out shoot your prc and not beat you up in the process. 6.5x55 & 260 rem being a couple. i see folks all the time jump right to the new "cool guy cartridge" and the same dudes get out done by a guy who knows his 308! components and data are likely easier to come by and really both rounds will do anything the prc's will.

why no non magnums? There are some awesome cartridges that will out shoot your prc and not beat you up in the process. 6.5x55 & 260 rem being a couple. i see folks all the time jump right to the new "cool guy cartridge" and the same dudes get out done by a guy who knows his 308! components and data are likely easier to come by and really both rounds will do anything the prc's will.
I have been doing this a long time...I have plenty of smaller calibers that I could use...I'm not a gas bullet buyer by any means.

However, my goal with the 300prc was to build a rifle for elr type shooting and hunting but still buy bullets at any sporting good store I walk into.

I have my 6mm dashers and have been shooting the 6.5-284 and 6.5x47 lapuas for years....but they are useless unless you roll your own...and I don't want another cartridge that's reload only.

Bench

Haha that guy was a goddamn tool...who brags about bench numbers anyways??! Especially ones that light!

I really don't understand why he brought up bow kills to explain his badassery

Bench

Lol it's one of my fav threads. That and the poparock thread

I have been doing this a long time...I have plenty of smaller calibers that I could use...I'm not a gas bullet buyer by any means.

However, my goal with the 300prc was to build a rifle for elr type shooting and hunting but still buy bullets at any sporting good store I walk into.

I have my 6mm dashers and have been shooting the 6.5-284 and 6.5x47 lapuas for years....but they are useless unless you roll your own...and I don't want another cartridge that's reload only.

Bench

Factory 6.5 PRC is pretty limited at best. 6.5 PRC and 6.5-284 are virtually identical in performance. Given your criteria maybe 284 Win or 7WSM in a LA would be a better fit?

Factory 6.5 PRC is pretty limited at best. 6.5 PRC and 6.5-284 are virtually identical in performance. Given your criteria maybe 284 Win or 7WSM in a LA would be a better fit?
I can get the prc ammo locally right now and it’s only getting easier to get...

this is just a factory ammo only gun..

my fault for not putting that in the original post.

bench

Shoot the 300 suppressed and in a heavier stock or chassis and the recoil is almost non existent.

Not weighing into the calibre debate,but I will say this with my experience only.
I also had a torn rotator cuff & was booked in for surgery-hell if I could’ve cut my own arm off I would’ve given the pain.
Long story short, kind soul noticed I was favouring my arm whilst working & asked if I had a rotator cuff injury.On hearing a grim affirmative he recommended an osteopath.
Best advice I’ve received ever.
Admittedly my first session was personally disappointing being only stretching,massaging & excercising.I thought I needed to be worked over by an East German wresting coach at least.
Fast forward 6 weeks of gentle stretching & excercise I was at 80 percent & 10 years later it’s like it never happened.
Your mileage may vary & you may indeed really need surgery,but i’d explore that option before it permanently removed your shoulders’ capacitiy’s.

Sorry about the shoulder. Keep the 300 PRC and find a good physical therapist. A good physical therapist can change (or save) your life.

dont let a little RC injury slow down your shooting

deadlift is the superior lift anyways
Oh, the day I'm done competing in powerlifting is the day I stop doing deadlifts! I will always do bench and squat...but I will never do deadlifts again, and I can't wait!

I used to love them...but now see them as a bit pointless...a lot of people say it's the king of movements but can't clear real weight off of the ground.

In all honesty, I think CrossFit made that movement famous again....but also erased everything we knew about form.... watching a crosfitter do deadlifts is like putting a barska on an AIX...

Bench

Shoot the 300 suppressed and in a heavier stock or chassis and the recoil is almost non existent.
See, this is something I've been thinking about...I can always add more weight to my chassis...but I don't want a 20lb rifle either...I'm thinking of ordering the frame weights just to see

Bench

Not weighing into the calibre debate,but I will say this with my experience only.
I also had a torn rotator cuff & was booked in for surgery-hell if I could’ve cut my own arm off I would’ve given the pain.
Long story short, kind soul noticed I was favouring my arm whilst working & asked if I had a rotator cuff injury.On hearing a grim affirmative he recommended an osteopath.
Best advice I’ve received ever.
Admittedly my first session was personally disappointing being only stretching,massaging & excercising.I thought I needed to be worked over by an East German wresting coach at least.
Fast forward 6 weeks of gentle stretching & excercise I was at 80 percent & 10 years later it’s like it never happened.
Your mileage may vary & you may indeed really need surgery,but i’d explore that option before it permanently removed your shoulders’ capacitiy’s.
If it's a partial I will turn down surgery...but if it's a complete tear I will likely let them chop away..

I have had a lot of surgeries to rebuild me over the years from all the wild shit I find myself doing....but the rotator cuff surgery is one I never wanted or expected!

I actually injured myself stretching in bed when I woke up!!! A heavy chest session the day before probably didn't help anything though lol

Bench

I can get the prc ammo locally right now and it’s only getting easier to get...

this is just a factory ammo only gun..

my fault for not putting that in the original post.

bench

6.5 PRC is not a magnum cartridge, it barely runs with middle of the road LA cartridges. If you need a softer shooting cartridge that has available factory ammunition and solid ballistics there are multiple 7mm offerings. I have a 6.5 PRC and unless you hand load you're going to be disappointed.

If you're just shooting ELR off a bench I'd add weight to your current rifle. 20 pounds with a brake should be pretty mellow. Look up some recoil calculators and play with the numbers. I'm sure you can get your current rifle to recoil like the 6.5 PRC. On that front, I have an 8 pound ready to hunt 6.5 PRC and find the recoil to be downright mellow. YMMV.

If your really wanting to stretch out the range 6.5 suffers what all 6.5’s do,,,those little bullets don’t make a very big splash.
Build a 300PRC and make it heavy with a good brake.

You pushing 147gr to 3100 in a 260, gtfo with that.

@benchmstr every cuff tear is unique. The best piece of advice I can offer is to go to the best physicians you have access to and get multiple opinions. While it might cost you a little bit more up front, I think you will have a much easier and quicker recovery by truly exploring your options. Good luck!