• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC

category_theory

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2020
SF Bay Area
Hey y’all, kinda sorta new here (lurking not posting) to this forum but started listening to the podcast recently and found the community and thought I’d jump in! I normally am shooting 6.5 cm and 300 prc these days and reloading for both. I noticed the 6.5 cm pinned thread but nothing for 300 prc at least that’s pinned, w folks’ favorite recipes such, kind of like this forum on LRO forum: https://www.longrangeonly.com/forum/threads/your-favorite-300-prc-accuracy-loads-needed.7254/.

Anyways thought I’d try to start one and if I missed one already going apologies and point me to it!! :).

Rifle: Bergara HMR 26” 1:9 tr

For me recent I am working up loads w:
N570 and H1000 and Mag Pro
W Hornady A-tips in 250 gr and ELDs in 225
And single fire formed Hornady brass

If folks are keen I’ll post my findings….

Reactions: DarinC
Hey y’all, kinda sorta new here (lurking not posting) to this forum but started listening to the podcast recently and found the community and thought I’d jump in! I normally am shooting 6.5 cm and 300 prc these days and reloading for both. I noticed the 6.5 cm pinned thread but nothing for 300 prc at least that’s pinned, w folks’ favorite recipes such, kind of like this forum on LRO forum: https://www.longrangeonly.com/forum/threads/your-favorite-300-prc-accuracy-loads-needed.7254/.

Anyways thought I’d try to start one and if I missed one already going apologies and point me to it!! :).

Rifle: Bergara HMR 26” 1:9 tr

For me recent I am working up loads w:
N570 and H1000 and Mag Pro
W Hornady A-tips in 250 gr and ELDs in 225
And single fire formed Hornady brass

If folks are keen I’ll post my findings….
Please do.

@category_theory

Post your data. I agree there needs to be a depot thread for 300 PRC.

perfect, thank you.

Curious... yes I'm busy reading this entire thread... please bare with me, very slow reader...

Whats the avg velocity that everyone is seeing of a ELDM 225 out of a 24" barrel, been mentioned I would probably need to look at a 26/28" barrel at a re barrel to properly take advantage of the 250gr A-tip's...

use case will be purely bench rest ELR.

G

Curious... yes I'm busy reading this entire thread... please bare with me, very slow reader...

Whats the avg velocity that everyone is seeing of a ELDM 225 out of a 24" barrel, been mentioned I would probably need to look at a 26/28" barrel at a re barrel to properly take advantage of the 250gr A-tip's...

G
High 2600 to low 2800 depending on powder. And for 250s you’ll need a 1:8 twist rate… at least for the Hornady a-tips.

G
ran into heavy bolt at around 2900.

running what load, what barrel length
G
in my 24" Xcal barrel
75.4gr RL26= 2900fps
78gr H1000= 2900fps
88.6 LRT = 2900fps

anytime I approached 2900 i started having pressure symptoms, hard bolt lift, marks on head, flat primers. my test batch of Hornady brass lost primer pockets after 1-2 firings. 2950 and Im beating the bolt open with a 2x4.

Reactions: georgelza
waiting on my license atm... so all planning/research/consuming bucket loads of info ;)

Planning for Powder is Hodgdon H1000 paired with Federal LRM 215 primers, all into ADG cases.

G
Careful with them ADG cases. In some chambers they are somewhat oversized and stick. Them and Lapua. Read the last few pages of the other 300 prc thread Link

Last edited:
Careful with them ADG cases. In some chambers they are somewhat oversized and stick. Them and Lapua. Read the last few pages of this thread.
Noted,
Comment interesting though as ADG is the primary go to case the ELR guys use this side, consistency/case life etc just found to be much better than anything else, other than Peterson that's just over the top on price.
G

Noted,
Comment interesting though as ADG is the primary go to case the ELR guys use this side, consistency/case life etc just found to be much better than anything else, other than Peterson that's just over the top on price.
G
Yeah lots of us use Lapua or ADG so the fact that they are sized differently from some
reamers is a lot annoying. Like I said read up on mine and others issues. It’s also sometimes not one though. My Bergara wasn’t an issue but my custom barrel was since they used an older reamer.

Reactions: georgelza
Noted,
G

I've found Lapua to be MUCH more consistent on seating force than either ADG or Peterson (no neck turning - graphite lube/mandrel). I posted the data somewhere in this thread.

Reactions: category_theory
Retumbo 78.3
Hornady brass
Federal #215 primers
212 EDLX
Tiny bit of pressure
26” carbon wrapped barrel 1:8 twist

Attachments

• EE625EF1-1255-4BB7-A7E7-8EAD9E5BEDFD.jpeg
    EE625EF1-1255-4BB7-A7E7-8EAD9E5BEDFD.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 40