• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

300 Rounds of Free 7.62X54R Ammo!!

Re: 300 Rounds of Free 7.62X54R Ammo!!

AIM Surplus has a similar ad, however, they don't mention the date. They also have a video of guys using the ammo and clips.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paul in az</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AIM Surplus has a similar ad, however, they don't mention the date. They also have a video of guys using the ammo and clips. </div></div>

Here is the AIM link, which also contains the youtube video:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=A76254SC

My order will be at the house tomorrow.

My order of 600 arrived yesterday. Havn't opened the box yet. I had heard that ammo manufactured around this date suffered from poor accuracy due to poor packaging techniques & old age. Like i said i havn't opened the box yet so i can't speak to that yet.

The spam can was grey, and tough to get into, but not near as tough as the green spam cans. The air inside, dated 1946 was kind of neat smelling... not sure what causes it. Here is what you find inside, 20 little pie wedges:

IMG_5743.jpg

...with three stripper clips

IMG_5744.jpg

...five rounds on each clip... but then we knew that already...

IMG_5745.jpg

My ammo was dated `46 as the SGAmmo store indicated...

IMG_5747.jpg

The other side was stamped 188, which I assume is the plant of mfg(?) Can someone confirm?

IMG_5749.jpg

The clips were stamped with the Izhevsk mark...

IMG_5750.jpg

Some of the ammo has corrosion on the primer ends, and even some of the clips had some spots. But here, you see that it looks as though the bullet was not seated fully, is this normal, can someone confirm?

IMG_5746.jpg

This is very nastalgic stuff, it has not seen the light of day till I cracked the case at 8:30 this morning...

IMG_5751.jpg

I'll need to take some to the range and shoot it... can't wait!

Thanks for the pics!

Yes, the "188" is the factory designation for Novosibirsk Low Voltage Equipment Plant. Also, it's common for surplus 54r to be seated to different depths, especially the older stuff that I've seen. I wouldn't have huge expectations for accuracy in this stuff. However, in a vintage sniper shoot off that was done a couple years back, the 91/30 rifles and their period ammo faired very well against all their contemporaries, if not beating them all. One of the big factors was ammo consistency. The old Russian stuff seemed to be among the more reliable, where ammo from other countries, made at the same time, failed to function.

I wonder how they will hold up when fired because of the little corrosion, But than again i always wondered what would happen if you fired a truly rusty bullet.

Thanks for the pix and info, Dragon 64! Please post the results of your shooting. If it's good, I'm going for it.

It was a good birthday and Fathers day, first off, I get the ammo on stripper clips, a birthday gift to myself... And then my wife takes me to a newly opened gun shop and buys me a 1939 Tula (round receiver). All matching numbers etc. Anyways, I received some requests to show how well the stripper clips work. I was not able to shoot the ammo, but I did try out the loading of the cips...

http://youtu.be/p7Nc3II50yg

probably crap for accuracy past 500m, but should stabilize quickly and produce solid groups from 0-200m.

Thank you for an excellent video and tutorial! Very nicely done. I'll pass on buying the 46 ammo and hunt around for some more stripper clips.

Regards from Paul in Arizona.