• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 RSAUM vs 300 WSM

Hiker12

Private
Minuteman
May 12, 2017
One can read all the statistics about each round. But rather hear about other shooters experiences. Looking to do another build and not sure what one to go with. I enjoy shooting steel out to a 1000 yards but want to punch out a little further. Up in the Northeast the 300 RSAUM is gaining popularity. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks Hiker12

Reactions: stello1001
Depends what your goal is? Both are fine rounds. The RSAUM was designed to maximize performance in a short action. The WSM can be made to fit in a short action, but you have to neuter its performance.

So if you are set on a short action, I'd go with a RSAUM. If you plan to run heavy bullets and a long action, then WSM.

I can't, from direct experience, inform you on what the actual difference is apples to apples (say 180gr bullets) in a short action.

Depends what your goal is? Both are fine rounds. The RSAUM was designed to maximize performance in a short action. The WSM can be made to fit in a short action, but you have to neuter its performance.

So if you are set on a short action, I'd go with a RSAUM. If you plan to run heavy bullets and a long action, then WSM.

I can't, from direct experience, inform you on what the actual difference is apples to apples (say 180gr bullets) in a short action.

Not sure I agree with what you are saying. Both rounds are short action magnum rounds. Both have the same parent case, the 404 jefferies
Both were designed to deliver near magnum performance in a short action, hence the names, winchester SHORT magnum and Remington SHORT action Ultra magnum
Both a normally chambered in short actions, though many folks chamber them in long actions in order to seat the bullets out farther. Putting either one in the short action will hamper them equally.
The case length for the WSM is 2.1 inches, for the SAUM 2.015.
The WSM has a bit more case capacity, The SAUM has a very slightly longer neck and is actually a bit more efficient.
There are actually rifles chambered in WSM, even Remington chambers the 700, I don't think they chamber a rifle in SAUM.
There isn't enough difference between the two to worry about, check sources for brass and let that be the deciding factor

Thanks for the reply and info. Been away from the forum for awhile sorry for late reply

I spoke to a few people shooting both while planning my build. I went with RSAUM and I couldn’t be more pleased. I’m 7mm not 300, but close enough.
I’m 30 shots down the tube and shooting sub .25 MOA.

Thanks for the reply and info. Been away from the forum for awhile sorry for late reply

Attachments

• C83E5159-E4D6-4F6D-950E-EF78A3EA14E1.jpeg
    C83E5159-E4D6-4F6D-950E-EF78A3EA14E1.jpeg
    395.3 KB · Views: 159
  • DC74653B-BFC6-4C8E-88A2-8B04B92F876D.jpeg
    DC74653B-BFC6-4C8E-88A2-8B04B92F876D.jpeg
    352.7 KB · Views: 161
I spoke to a few people shooting both while planning my build. I went with RSAUM and I couldn’t be more pleased. I’m 7mm not 300, but close enough.
I’m 30 shots down the tube and shooting sub .25 MOA.
Is there advantage shooting 7mm over 300? Very nice rifle pic. What is the chassis and what are you running for action and barrel. I have been shooting a custom 260 Rem. for year . Have been looking to step it up a notch .
20180410_160916.jpg

Last edited:
the WSM holds a little bit more powder winchester factory loads are 10 fps faster than remington factory loads- big deal they probably use differnt barrels just the same length the barrels they use im sure have tighter tollerances than most to increace velocity SAUM is more popular with semi-autos, i hear that its because of its shape it allows better feeding but there are semi-autos that use the WSM and i never herd of any feeding problems with them WSM is more popular with bolt guns
in my opinion they are the same thing for the same purpose and as far as performance goes the WSM has the edge of about 10 fps and a litlte more case capacity and id worry more weather i wanted a Remington 700 or Win 70
Thanks for your input it is valued. I lean more towards Remington 700. With reloading should be able to fine tune pressure and velocity for performance.

Reactions: h3dgehawk
the reason I went 7mm over 30 is higher BC at lower weight. I built it around the Hornady 180eld-match. Basically less recoil and better long range ballistics.

My build is a rem 700 action, Bartlein #9 contour barrel finished at 28”. Action and bolt worked over, and barrel cut, crowned, and chambered by APR.

Is there advantage shooting 7mm over 300? Very nice rifle pic. What is the chassis and what are you running for action and barrel. I have been shooting a custom 260 Rem. for year . Have been looking to step it up a notch .View attachment 6892754

Sounds like a very nice rifle you got there. If I do another build will have to consider a similar build. Thanks for the info

If you are looking for the best ELR setup around in either 30cal or 7mm, look at the 30 cal 198gr Warner Flatline. >3100fps with that bullet (either cartridge, the WSM or the RSAUM will have no problem producing those velocities with a 26+" barrel). Make sure you get a barrel with the necessary twist however (9, or under even better).

I'm using the 198gr Flatline in a 308 and I have had it out as far as 2070 yds with much success. Yes, a 308. ELR is all about the bullet, less about the cartridge you are using to power it. Both WSM and RSAUM are excellent choices - either will deliver low SD/ES MVs, which is key.

Reactions: Bender
If you are looking for the best ELR setup around in either 30cal or 7mm, look at the 30 cal 198gr Warner Flatline. >3100fps with that bullet (either cartridge, the WSM or the RSAUM will have no problem producing those velocities with a 26+" barrel). Make sure you get a barrel with the necessary twist however (9, or under even better).

I'm using the 198gr Flatline in a 308 and I have had it out as far as 2070 yds with much success. Yes, a 308. ELR is all about the bullet, less about the cartridge you are using to power it. Both WSM and RSAUM are excellent choices - either will deliver low SD/ES MVs, which is key.
Great info and impressive on the 308. So suggest a 8 or 9 twist is the way to go. I usaully run a 28" on my barrel on my bolt gun .Will do some homework on the flatline. Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
I think of it as a synergy between the two. Stretch the distance up long enough and either can limit performance.
Yes, I agree, however I think between those two cartridges - WSM and RSAUM - there will be little real differences in the field. In this context, bullet choice, for the OP, is the more important variable.

I have used and know folks using both cartridges and either is an excellent choice for ELR work in 7mm or 30cal.

Sure not a hot load? What powder and charge if you can share?

Not sure I agree with what you are saying. Both rounds are short action magnum rounds. Both have the same parent case, the 404 jefferies
Both were designed to deliver near magnum performance in a short action, hence the names, winchester SHORT magnum and Remington SHORT action Ultra magnum
Both a normally chambered in short actions, though many folks chamber them in long actions in order to seat the bullets out farther. Putting either one in the short action will hamper them equally.
The case length for the WSM is 2.1 inches, for the SAUM 2.015.
The WSM has a bit more case capacity, The SAUM has a very slightly longer neck and is actually a bit more efficient.
There are actually rifles chambered in WSM, even Remington chambers the 700, I don't think they chamber a rifle in SAUM.
There isn't enough difference between the two to worry about, check sources for brass and let that be the deciding factor

Despite the names, it's simple a fact that the RSAUM is a true short action round and the WSM makes a compromise to fit in one. What happens to the WSM case capacity advantage when you seat a 180gr bullet .1" deeper into the case to fit in the short action?

Yes you can put a WSM in a short action, but it will perform better in a long action with heavy bullets.

Yes, brass is the deciding factor. The RSAUM line is dead, Remington killed their own baby as they have multiple times before. I was on the fence 300 RSAUM or 300WM, buying a Sendero in Cabelas, until I checked the ammo shelf and found a broad array of 300WM ammo but a single BOX of 300 RSAUM ammo and zero brass for it. And this was 2004. I guarantee the situation hasn't gotten better.

Reactions: LastShot300
To help muddy the water a little check out the 6.5 GAP 4S. It was designed by George Gardner of GA Precision. It is designed from the RSAUM, the 6.5 has a long line of what bullets are available. George developed it to run at 308 pressure, with PRC comps in mind. It has good barrel life with 2400+. I am shooting 139 Scenars at 3166fps and 6.3 mils at 1k. I have only been to 1300 yards, but know of folks taking it to a mile. Many now shoot the 135 JLK,

Good luck with you build.

Thanks for the info. A little to think about and research on the RSAUM brass availability. I am very partial to the 6.5mm over the 30 cal bullet myself

Reactions: rope
Not sure if you hunt, I have taken 3 Alaskan moose all with one shot with mine. Both my hunting partners use 300WM, I don't feel under gunned. The moose in my avatar I shot at 5 yards while charging me, with a 127 Barnes LRX....DRT!

The slightly shorter length of the saum is helpful trying to fit in mags, but if you can't find brass or ammo, mag length doesnt matter much. I went with wsm purely for brass availability.

I would look at what is being shot and holds records in the long range shooting sports. It’s going to be tough to knock the 300 wsm off the podium.

I may of over looked it but:
Do you reload?
Do you hunt ?
Which action ?

Norma and Hornady both making rsaum brass. I'd skip the 6.5 saum and go with the 6.5prc. Same round almost + or - 100fps but with the prc you can get factory ammo, but either way you can get brass for both at GA Precision.

Sure not a hot load? What powder and charge if you can share?

My 308/198gr Flatline load is:

OAL: 3.360" (this is massively important... I'm running this out of a long action)
46.0 gr MR2000
Lapua Palma brass
CCI primer (can't remember model)
2760 ish at 60*

Flatline bullets are CnC cut solids, not swaged, meaning they can get more advantage profiles. One of the profile advantage is in their surface bearing area - it has been reduced to lower friction, which in turn allows the bullet to gain more MV for a similar amount of powder.

Have had this load up as high as 48.0gr of MR2000 w/o pressure signs and basically ran out of powder run there.

Reactions: Bradu
My 308/198gr Flatline load is:

OAL: 3.360" (this is massively important... I'm running this out of a long action)
46.0 gr MR2000
Lapua Palma brass
CCI primer (can't remember model)
2760 ish at 60*

Flatline bullets are CnC cut solids, not swaged, meaning they can get more advantage profiles. One of the profile advantage is in their surface bearing area - it has been reduced to lower friction, which in turn allows the bullet to gain more MV for a similar amount of powder.

Have had this load up as high as 48.0gr of MR2000 w/o pressure signs and basically ran out of powder run there.
Thank you! great info on the load and how it works.

I still reread your thread about the 308. Awesome

Reactions: jbailey
Despite the names, it's simple a fact that the RSAUM is a true short action round and the WSM makes a compromise to fit in one. What happens to the WSM case capacity advantage when you seat a 180gr bullet .1" deeper into the case to fit in the short action?

Yes you can put a WSM in a short action, but it will perform better in a long action with heavy bullets.

Yes, brass is the deciding factor. The RSAUM line is dead, Remington killed their own baby as they have multiple times before. I was on the fence 300 RSAUM or 300WM, buying a Sendero in Cabelas, until I checked the ammo shelf and found a broad array of 300WM ammo but a single BOX of 300 RSAUM ammo and zero brass for it. And this was 2004. I guarantee the situation hasn't gotten better.

Norma and Nosler both make SAUM brass. I but it by the 100 lots with no problem. WSM brass is about impossible to find in 7mm. Things do change in 14 years. lol.

Im not throwing stones, but a 308 in a long action really isnt a 308 any more. More like a 30-06, no? Flatlines are awesome, no doubt, but guys were pushing 30-06 into 300wm territory for a long time before flatlines came about. I'm much more interested in what it can do as a short action.

I went with 7 saum over 7 wsm mainly for brass availability. Got Norma brass. I don’t know who else makes wsm brass besides Winchester, but there is an unnecessary markup on any wsm brass, whether it be 300, 7, or 270. $2+ for a piece of Winchester brass? Price gouging at its finest

I'm using a 300 wsm. Stiller tac action 28 inch rock creek barrel suppressed with h4350 and 215 bergers and couldn't be happier. I haven't got past 1400 yards or so because of no good place to do it but I shoot at 1400 often. With no wind or very consistent wind it's surprising how good it shoots out there.

I'm using a 300 wsm. Stiller tac action 28 inch rock creek barrel suppressed with h4350 and 215 bergers and couldn't be happier. I haven't got past 1400 yards or so because of no good place to do it but I shoot at 1400 often. With no wind or very consistent wind it's surprising how good it shoots out there.
Wish I had 1400 yards to shoot. I only have 500 yards to play with. Ended up building 6.5x47 Lapua instead of 300 saum. Made no sense to go the mag route with so little yardage. Appreciate the post.

Wish I had 1400 yards to shoot. I only have 500 yards to play with. Ended up building 6.5x47 Lapua instead of 300 saum. Made no sense to go the mag route with so little yardage. Appreciate the post.

Well I live out in the sticks, so it's a blessing and a curse. There is only one benchrest match within an hour and a half of me in any direction and it's kind of a local monthly match.
I've never had a 6.5x47 but I've shot against them in 600yd light gun and it will serve you well.