• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 RUM in a 700 SA max coal

Chickentoast

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2019
Building a 300 RUM and had planned to do it on a short action, as the Rem custom shop used to do. However, I want to run modern long bullets up to the 250 amax, which puts it well over 4" COAL if not intruding into the powder column.

Made up some dummy rounds and I'm not sure they're going to fit with the barrel screwed on. I'm clearly fine with a single-shot, and fine pulling the bolt to eject a live round, but don't want to have to pull the bolt to insert each round. Anyone done this before and know where the max coal will end up?

Running a 375 cheytac in a pierce 800 series short action as a single shot

Shorter , lighter, stiffer and possable more accurate .
It’s definitely not more accurate. If you really want accuracy pick a round that has good brass support. There’s zero reason to do this other than just wanting a gun that can’t feed. Go with 7 saum if you really want sa or go with the LA that 300 run clearly needs.

I am going to second the need for a long action with a rum. I run a WSM in a long action because of how limited in oal you are with a short action. You might squeeze it into an intermediate length action.

Update I bought a 300 RUM in a long action and sold my heavy 308. It was too nice of a rifle to take apart anyway. Now I have a 31" 9 twist 5R Bartlein heavy palma just lounging around! And a spare SA magnum bolt...

Reactions: culater
It’s definitely not more accurate. If you really want accuracy pick a round that has good brass support. There’s zero reason to do this other than just wanting a gun that can’t feed. Go with 7 saum if you really want sa or go with the LA that 300 run clearly needs.
Who said any thing about mag feed and yes stiffer is in most cases more accurate thats why action companies make single shot actions.

Reactions: mike e
Who said any thing about mag feed and yes stiffer is in most cases more accurate thats why action companies make single shot actions.

most of those are competition footprint that I’m aware of. Will it bring you maybe 2% less variability if shooting 1000 yard f class... maybe but Its not possible to see that with hunting class barrels or components. If you were so concerned about accuracy you’d also hunt with 1.25 straight contour barrels to mitigate whip. The amount of accuracy you lose using crappy nosler brass (the best 300 run brass) immediately makes the whole argument even more invalid and I personally think it’s dumb to build a hunting rifle that doesn’t feed from a magazine

• Haha
Reactions: jasent