• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 RUM in AI Mag?

Bigwheels

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 16, 2007
    Anacortes WA
    I was wondering if there would be a problem running a 300 RUM in an AI 300WM Magazine. I realise the RUM would need to stay @ SAMMI spec length, but would it work? Anyone know the max length for the 300WM Mag?

Re: 300 RUM in AI Mag?

It's not the overall length that's the problem with the 300RUM in the AI mags,it's the distance of the rim to the shoulder. The shoulder of the RUM cartridges is farther forward than the 300WM or the 338Lapua. The AI mags have a stamped in strengthening rib on both sides of the mag that protrude into the inside of the mag. To use a RUM cartridge in an AI mag, those strengthening ribs have to be machined or ground out. When you're done, you have an exposed groove down each side of the magazine. The max overall length of the 300WM is listed at 3.34". The bullet and the rifles throat really determine the max overall length. The 300RUM max overall length is listed in Sierra manual as 3.6" The 338 Lapua's is 3.681" If it weren't for those ribs, the RUM's would fit in the AI mags without a problem.

Someone on here was selling modified mags a while back. It may have been Bauer. You might try checking with him. I was going to do an 338 Edge and went lapua instead because I didn't want to mess with the mags. I believe Seekins DBM will work with the 300 rum but you might check with Glenn Seekins to see if there are any mods to make it work.
    HTH
    Rad

Thanks guys. I have a 300Wm, & am getting the BM, & mags for it soon. My friend is wanting to build a rifle in 300RUM, & wants to use the AI mags. I told him there might be issues with the concept, but have never had a AI mag in hand to check over.
    My only problem is if they won't let me use my 3.635" OAL loads in an AI mag. As long as they will let me fit my load, I'll have no problem with it.

The max length on the AI mags for magnum calibers is about 3.640". I load both of my 300 WM and 338 LM to 3.600".

If you send the mags to the guy on here from AI, Stacey Blankenship, he will machine them for 25 bucks and send them back to you. I don't have any problems with mine and I am using a McRee stock with the badger bm and AI mags. Mine were done by McRee's.

I would check out Seekins Precision. They state on their site that the long action 338 bottom metals and mags work well with the RUM cases.

Also check out Seekins Precision. They have a mag system that is dedicated to the RUMs and would not only accomadate the larger case but also give you plenty of OAL room to seat those big bullets how ever you would like.

http://www.seekinsprecision.com/index_p.php?p=dmag

The stated 3.94" is really really long and would be great for a slow burning powder and some heavy pills.

KansasMag,were you refering to using Seekins 338LM mags or AI 338LM mags? The 338LM AI mags still wont work for the RUM's. Same problem as the 300WM AI mags. The shoulder is actually farther foward on a 300WM than a 338LM. Seekins would be the way to go.

+1 for Stacey too. I have a couple that he did for me and mine runs flawlessly in my .300RUM in an AICS. Stacey did a super smooth job on mine. He mills them, instead of grinding them, and is highly recommended!

Yes it is. This is also what Scott McRee did for mine was mill them.