• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 RUM recommendations

Dawg66

TBAC Yardbird
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2024
Oklahoma
currently have a TBAC ultra 7 gen2 in ATF jail, I bought it for my 6.5 creed. Mainly for hunting its threaded and ready to go. However I have a 300 rum sitting there unthreaded, and the can data says it will handle the 300 rum it has a 26 in Barrel , an Any thoughts on my course of action here would be appreciated I would like to get it out of the safe for more use. Opinions from the Hide please.

TBAC Magnus HUB (9" can)... I have one and it's a phenomenal can. I liked it so much, I pre-ordered the new shorter Magnus-S (7" version) for my hunting rifles.

If nobody has one in stock, you should be able to buy it directly from TBAC, and have it sent to your local dealer.

Reactions: Dawg66
Thanks, TBAC is the only suppressors I will buy, I have used the 300 RUM on elk and it really put the smack down on them, given your recommendations will shorting the barrell be necessary 35 in. Total Is alot of barrel ?

Thanks, TBAC is the only suppressors I will buy, I have used the 300 RUM on elk and it really put the smack down on them, given your recommendations will shorting the barrell be necessary 35 in. Total Is alot of barrel ?
That's up to you. I cut down my 7mmRM to 22.5" and then made up for the difference by swapping to a different powder, and maintained nearly all my previous velocity from when it was 26". It's just a matter of personal choice. To me, the 150 FPS loss in a magnum that's still holding nearly 3K FPS after chopping it, isn't the end of the world, when you know your drops and have proper dope charts.

Reactions: Dawg66
22" barrel + ultra 7 is still more than i want to deal with on a hunting rifle but not that big of a deal. I did it for 1 season and relegated the ultra 7 to range and safe time until i had hunting rifles with shorter barrels. I tend to do a lot more walking and rifle carrying than shooting while hunting though.

Thanks for the input, my hunting is much different, 1 mile by 1/2 mile flat as pool table Wheatfield, I hide on the edge in cover rifle on tripod, they walk out I lay them down very systematic and effective, I'm usually tagged outfitting the first 2 hours of gun season. So not much walking ,can't really call it spot and stalk. Enjoyable all the same.thats with my 6.5 creedmoor. 22in. Barrel

I've been using a 1st gen ultra 7 on a 300 RUM for a while. Key is to make sure you're burning all your powder in the barrel.

I was using 91.8gr. Retumbo with a 210 VLD, 27 1/2" barrel, prior to getting the can. I switched to a slightly faster powder that gets me the same speeds with 86 gr. and have had no problems. I discussed this exact issue with Zack @ TBAC when ordering the can.

I've used it on a few limited travel/LR hunts with great results but my primary hunting rig is a 24" 280AI with the same can.

Reactions: Earnhardt