• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 RUM

chain

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2008
MI USA
I have the opportunity to buy a used Rem 700 300 RUM. The guy is deperate to sell. No optics, he said the barrel was sent away for cryo treatment and a local smith has put a break on it. I am loaded with 30 cals, 308 30-06 and 300 win mag. My idea if I buy was to use action maybe for a 338 edge. What do you guys think of the caliber? Any other thoughts? Thanks guys

Re: 300 RUM

Depending on how many rounds are down the tube you may be rebarreling it to begin with anyway. If the guy will give you the brass for it along with the deal you can turn it into the 338 and just send it right to your 'smith from the start.

If you can get a good price on the whole package of dies, brass, rifle, etc then you're probably good on it. Take the stuff you can't use for the 338 Edge and sell it to recoup some money for the conversion.

Re: 300 RUM

I would pick it up. In fact, I am looking to do the exact same thing. The 300 RUM is a great caliber for sending the heaviest of the 30 caliber projectiles. If you barrel it with a 1 in 9 twist barrel, you can send the 240 grain SMK. Of course, the whole reason I became interested in this caliber was for the same reason that you are suggesting, rebarrel in a 338 Edge. You will basically need the components that you will have with the 300 RUM for the Edge, so you won't have to reinvest. Just have you dies opened up and neck up your brass. I don't think you can go wrong with this purchase.