• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.300 rum

XHODZAX

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2009
minnesota
anyone shooting this gun to 1000 yards and beyond.
i have looked through our search engine and nothing.
seems like a caliber that could do it all

Re: .300 rum

Probably one of the least expensive ways to get to a mile and still has good energy.

Need to get Lapua to make brass for it.
wink.gif

yea just carry a backpack fulla barrels. might i suggest a takedown model

Probably 1000-1200. If you take care and don't over heat it. Great for a hunting rifle. If you're banging steel with 50-100 shots per range session get a 260. If your not shooting past 1K or need the energy, again a lighter round will work.

I have a 300RUM and a 300SAUM and love them both. I hunt with them both and save my money and shoulder by target shooting with a 243 custom rig I built. I am working on getting some backstops built on my farm and I will be able to stretch the legs on the 300RUM. My local range only has 500yd capability (300UM just wakin' up at that distance).

all i see on that thread is two girls going at it

but anyway

it seems like a hell of a cartridge
yes it seems like a barrel burner but so what
maybe when you burn out the barrel you switch it to .338 edge
i may just pick one up
wink.gif

I've got a RUM for F Class and one to hunt with, they are in my opinion the best all around hunting cartridge and work great for 1000 yard but no doubt are tough on barrels. My target setup doesn't have really a heavy enough barrel on it and it does warm up quickly so I limit my shooting with it. When that barrel goes away I think a 300 WSM may go on there for a try. The barrel and my shoulder might both last a little longer that way!

I can attest to barrel life, I got about 1200 rounds outta mine and my barrel is toast. I have a quote from Kirby about rechambering it to a 338 edge. But I think I am going to stay with the 300RUM and move up to a 28-30 inch barrel. I have a great load so I just need to come up with the money for a new barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: freebird63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can attest to barrel life, I got about 1200 rounds outta mine and my barrel is toast.</div></div>

How many shots per string did you usually shoot before cool down?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .308 LPT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: freebird63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can attest to barrel life, I got about 1200 rounds outta mine and my barrel is toast.</div></div>
How many shots per string did you usually shoot before cool down? </div></div>
One. or LESS if possible ...
wink.gif

My 300 RUM does spectacular at 1000 yards. I have a fairly mild load built for it that prints nearly 3/8 moa at 100 yards. I have found the best accuracy with the Berger 210gr Hunting VLD. It is loaded to produce 2800fps, which is where I have found the accuracy node with all the 210-220gr bullets I have shot through it (only 220 Sierra Matchking and the aforementioned Berger). At 1000 yards I dial 8.2mils and still maintain 1582fps and 1167ft-lbs of energy (almost enough energy to knock the frame over that my steel plate hangs from).

I personally shoot no more then 3 rounds at ANY given time. I have heard the 300 RUM is a barrel smoker, and plan to take it easy. My platform is a Remington Model 700P, with the factory 1in10 twist 26" barrel. The only thing I have done to it is add the muzzlebrake, which was a necessity as the scope was touching my forehead during recoil above 2700fps. I didnt want the half moon above my right eye so I had the brake installed, and do not regret it one bit. Recoil is much similar to my 308 now.

(P.S. it is for sale in the for sale section here. I have decided to rebarrel my 308 to 260 and my 223 to 223AI with an 8 twist)

Matt