• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 saum rebuild... but with a twist?

KiloGolf

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2020
Alberta, Canada
Hey everyone. I have a factory 700 in 300 saum, but I'm kinda wanting to make a 30 cal long range rifle for ringing steel. I am going to get the action trued and open up the mag well for full use of seating bullets.

The twist is, I really want a switch barrel to try out and am curious if I should make a 6.5 prc barrel as well. Only reason for that is to have a rifle I can shoot factory ammo out of and use for hunting, steel etc.

One day I plan on building a 300 prc for elr, and reload and/or run factory ammo... The 300 saum is a rifle I'll never sell do to sentimental value and I have alot of 300 saum brass. Plus no one wants to buy a 300 saum unless it's for free.

So should I bother making my 700 a switch barrel or wait till I make a full custom 300 prc and make it a switch barrel with a 6.5 prc barrel. Then just run a 300 saum all alone? Thanks for your time and thoughts.

If the rifle has sentimental value and will never be sold then yes, you should build a switch-barrel setup. If it has that much sentimental value you should do whatever it takes to get as much enjoyment as possible out of it. The cartridge choices are irrelevant then. Pick whatever you want and keep enjoying your rifle

I have a rifle sort of waiting in the wings like this. My dad has a 700 chambered in 7mm RM that was my grandfather’s that I’d like to do what you’re talking about. All it takes is time and money though…

Reactions: KiloGolf
I guess I should mention, I already have a 7 saum built up for long range and elr distances, and possible fclass matches when I'm not busy shooting prs.

Even better, actually. If this rifle doesn’t have to be anything particular then chamber as many barrels as you want in whatever you want. Just keep shooting and enjoying it if it means something to you

Even better, actually. If this rifle doesn’t have to be anything particular then chamber as many barrels as you want in whatever you want. Just keep shooting and enjoying it if it means something to you
Thanks D. Never thought about it like that before. Do you know of many 700 action switch barrel rigs out there?

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

Reactions: The D
Thanks D. Never thought about it like that before. Do you know of many 700 action switch barrel rigs out there?

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.
First of all, full disclosure. I don’t have much firsthand experience with bolt guns, I’m relatively new to the long distance world. What I do have is lots of time reading here and the rest of the internets about long range shooting. Now that that’s out of the way…

There are lots of ways to accomplish a switch-barrel setup on a factory or worked over 700 action.

The easiest and cheapest will be to remove the barrel, clean the old thread locker and other gunk out of the action, then install a remage barrel. It’s just a barrel with no shoulder, like a Savage, that’s tightened down with a large barrel nut. Some people put a big dollop of red loctite to the threads to effectively lock the barrel but in place at the correct position

After that, eh, use your imagination. Seriously, there are that many options. One of the best would be to send your action to LRI(or any other quality gunsmith) to be trued and have them save your measurements so all you need to do is order a barrel cut to your measurements for any other barrel you desire

Reactions: KiloGolf