• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes .300 Savage, Scope

hankpac

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Dec 4, 2006
    Texas
    www.tigerforcerecon.com
    My wife inherited an older (call it vintage) 300 Savage. All the blue is there except the receiver, which is worn off, in the grey, as it were. No signs of rust. Checkering is perfect, and the bore is pristine. It was a lady's gun, and now is again. the previous owner had taken a deer a year since she got it as a wedding present 54 years ago.
    It has had the iron sights driven off, (dovetailed) and a single piece scope mount applied, with a Bushnell Banner 4 power scope. That has got to go.
    She's not going to be shoooting over 300 yds, but would like a variable power scope, that doesn't impinge on the barrel with the forward bell.
    any suggestions? A 3-9 with a smaller bell that would clear. Standard 1 inch scope rings, and a single base that actually looks forward canted, but is specific to, and correct for the model.
    I am asking here, since I don't particularly want to haul it into a gun shop, where the knowledge base is iffy, (or the attitude is arrogant), and don't want to drag it into Walmart to test clearances. I may take it to my local range and talk to the owner there. I actually trust him.
    Any suggestions?
    Photos later if necessary

My wife inherited an older (call it vintage) 300 Savage. All the blue is there except the receiver, which is worn off, in the grey, as it were. No signs of rust. Checkering is perfect, and the bore is pristine. It was a lady's gun, and now is again. the previous owner had taken a deer a year since she got it as a wedding present 54 years ago.
    It has had the iron sights driven off, (dovetailed) and a single piece scope mount applied, with a Bushnell Banner 4 power scope. That has got to go.
    She's not going to be shoooting over 300 yds, but would like a variable power scope, that doesn't impinge on the barrel with the forward bell.
    any suggestions? A 3-9 with a smaller bell that would clear. Standard 1 inch scope rings, and a single base that actually looks forward canted, but is specific to, and correct for the model.
    I am asking here, since I don't particularly want to haul it into a gun shop, where the knowledge base is iffy, (or the attitude is arrogant), and don't want to drag it into Walmart to test clearances. I may take it to my local range and talk to the owner there. I actually trust him.
    Any suggestions?
    Photos later if necessary
    Is it a Savage m99 lever in 300 Savage? If it was mine I'd look to find the some of original iron sights. Call Savage and ask them what was available at the date of manufacture of your particular rifle from Savage. maybe they still have those sights somewhere deep in a warehouse...You never know. But if you insist on scoping it. I'd lean towards a Lyman Alaskan(no longer made unfortunately) but can still be found from time to time. No, it's not a variable 3x9 suggestion you asked for but a fixed 4 power and would look good age appropriate to the rifle IMO.

Is it a Savage m99 lever in 300 Savage? If it was mine I'd look to find the some of original iron sights. Call Savage and ask them what was available at the date of manufacture of your particular rifle from Savage. maybe they still have those sights somewhere deep in a warehouse...You never know. But if you insist on scoping it. I'd lean towards a Lyman Alaskan(no longer made unfortunately) but can still be found from time to time. No, it's not a variable 3x9 suggestion you asked for but a fixed 4 power and would look good age appropriate to the rifle IMO.
    It is indeed the Model 99, with schnable forearm, and lever action and the little window with the round counter. I cleaned it today, and the bore swab came out spotless on it's first swipe. They took wonderful care of it, and it was a well used hunter.
    I know I can find the sights, that isn't a problem. Since my bride will actually hunt iwth this, I prefer to keep it scoped. It has a Bushnell Banner 4 power on it now, from 54 years ago. I think it needs an upgrade without breaking the bank.
    The suggestions above are appreciated.

Leupold 2-7×32, or an older 3-9×32 should look pretty good on top.
    Nikon also makes a couple of slim variables.
    Older Burris 2-7 or 3-9× also.

Anything with a 42mm objective or tall turrets will look completely out of place.

Just for reference, here's a couple of Leupolds I had sleeping in the safe.

3-9×50
    2-7×32
    Buckmark 5.5"

20190904_071435.jpg

If you can still find it, Vortex Razor HD LH 1.5-8x32 would be perfect on this little gun.

SWFA 2.5-10x32 is even lighter, but has a little less eyerelief. Depending on how she shoots, that may or may not be enough. 300Sav is a mild round and I have not gotten even close to being touched with that scope even on harder kicking gun, but still be mindful of that.

Generally, I would stick with something that has an objective in the 32mm range.

ILya

I have a weaver 4x with a target dot reticle on my savage 99, it was on the rifle when I bought it years ago, nice and clear and allows me to get hits on steel at 200yds and that's as far as i would ever need.

I'd most definitely call @gr8fuldoug. A buddy has the Steiner GS3 3-15x42 and its a bad ass little scope, maybe ask Doug about the Steiner GS3 2-10x42.