• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winny

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 25, 2005
This Place
Long story short. Several years ago I was able to acquire a case of 150 gr. 300 Savage. Being me, I held onto it in the event I needed it even though I had no 300 Savage at the time, just a bunch of 308's and 6.5's. My teenage daughter is showing interest in wanting to hunt so I've been toying with the idea of building a bolt action 300 Savage for her. I have a 308 takeoff barrel from a 700P taking up space and a spare stock and scope sitting around so just getting an action and a smith the set the barrel back shouldn't be an issue. Anyways, I'm looking for anyone that has used a 300 Savage to hunt any animal with and what your experience was with it.

Thanks

B.

Was my dads deer rifle model 99 savage, lever action, was given to me for my first deer rifle, gave it to my son for his first deer rifle. In those years shot mostly 150 grain ammo, took whitetail deer with ease in excess if 20 of them. More recoil than a 7mm-08 , equal to a 308. Never shot it over 175 yards definitely did its job.

My hunting buddy uses a Savage Model 99 in 300 Savage, and has taken plenty of deer and an elk with it. It utterly destroyed the chest of the doe he got last year (which MIGHT have been 80 pounds soaking wet).

Either sell me the ammo or buy a savage 99 to shoot those bullets up with. It would not be classy to build such a proper lever gun cartridge in a bolt gun.

But seriously the 300 savage kills stuff just like a 308 or '06.