• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes $300 scope

Chad44

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2012
Castle rock, CO
I have a feeling this has been asked more then once but I can find the posts. I have a buddy that is on a tight budget. Shooting a 7mm RM. He wants variable power. He would like to go up to 20x. I keep suggesting the fixed 10 swfa ss. But he doesn't want a fixed. He's been looking at millet I Believe. Any suggestions? Or scopes that are better then others? Or scopes that aren't even worth $100 much less $300. He uses it for hunting and won't be shooting much. Thanks

The day after I picked up a project, I ended up having a washing maching go out and my alternator on my truck go bad along with the associated replacement of additional parts.....The local gunshop owner recommended me a 4 x 16 x 44 Weaver Kaspa at under $200 easily, it isn't quite your 20 power. I hate to admit it but it isn't bad. Has a side parralax too. I have to admit it works and has worked well enough for me to shoot it. next year after I save up, I am going to get some decent glass and put the Kaspa on my beater yote .223. I like the scope for decent eye relief too. Glass is fair. It works.

Last edited:
Weaver 3-10x40 mil/mil Midway special is the only "LR" type scope I'd get for $300. It was only a few years ago that I was into cheap scopes, so I understand his thought process. I'd forget about getting 20x though, because it won't be very useful in anything less than bright sunlight anyways. I have the Weaver on my hunting rifle and I really enjoy it so far.

If he's hunting why not just get a 3-9 leupold or japanese bushnell? There's also the nikon buckmasters and redfield 4-12x model. None of them will be optimal but all of them will be better than the 300$ 20x chinese tactical millett BSA whatever he is probably looking at.

A lower power optic from a reputable manufacturer will be better than a cheap ass higher power optic

If your friend isn't worried about a mil/moa setup, I highly recommend the Mueller Tac 2 scope.
For around 270 bucks your get really good glass with capped target style turrets.
For three hundred, when on sale, the weaver grand slam tactical can't be beat.

These are IF he is interested in tactical style scopes.

If he is not concerned about "tacti-cool" scopes, there are plenty of good hunting scopes to be had for 300 bucks.
There is no 300 dollar scope with a top end of 20X that he should even consider.

I have an old B&L elite 3000 4-12 scope with fingertip adjustable turrets (can't reset).
It has decent glass, not spectacular (I used to think it was really good till I got my IOR), but it has ALWAYS held zero and spent considerable time aboard my 7mm magnum. Bushnell sold the model for a few years as an elite 3200 model, but no longer catalog it.

They do, however, have this:
Bushnell 4.5-14x44 Legend Ultra HD Rifle Scope

Weaver has this:
Weaver 4-16x42 Buck Commander Rifle Scope

Leupold offers this, which is a dandy little scope:
Leupold 3-9x40 Mark AR MOD 1 Riflescope

20x for under $300 is about as good an idea as making his own scope out of a toilet paper roll, some duct tape and a set of lenses from his great aunt's reading glasses. Go get a leupold vx-1 or vx-2 on sale at optics planet right now, $300.

Some good suggestions have been made. He can find decent scopes from Nikon, Bushnell, and Weaver; especially if used. I have a handful of the Weaver V24 scopes with the Varmint plex reticle on some .22LRs and they're great scopes for the money. They don't have target turrets or a whole lot of clicks, but do have an adjustable objective and are repeatable. If you can't convince him to buy a Bushnell 3200 or SWFA fixed 10X, then that's where I'd be looking.

$300 scope

Unrealistic expectations is what drives scope manufacturers to produce high magnification variable power scopes for less than $300.

They are all tourist traps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like my Nikon 4-14 Buckmaster. Its been bouncing around my pickup for years on a 22-250 and has never lost zero. Very good hunting scope an in his budget if he get the bdc instead of the mil-dot. I would cough up the extra $20 though.

Have him stop by Cabelas and take a peek in the bargain bin, they sometimes have some decent scopes in there.
A used Leupold (gold ring) or Vortex(vip) are just as good as new. Anything wrong and they are covered. They will be a much better investment.

Folks on a "budget" can not afford to throw money down the toilet with a crappy Chinese scope.

He spends $300 on a used VX2 or VX3, he can hunt then flip it the next day for the same amount of money. If he gets a Millett for $300 and then realizes its a POS, he will take a hit on resale.

Last edited:
I don't want to hijack but how well do you guys think the less expensive vortex options (crossfire, diamondback) would compare to some of the scopes listed above? Could they be another viable option for a $300ish scope?

I am usually a NightForce, ACOG or Vortex Razor guy. 3 years ago my brother bought a Remington SPS 308 Tactical and not being a man of means opted for a Konus Pro M30 6.5-24X44 scope. It has decent glass tracks well and has excellent resolution and has stood up to his high end 308 loads. It sells for just over $300. I was really impressed by it and decided to try one myself. I purchased their 4-16X40 for my S&W M&P 15 Tactical a year later and it has not given me a single problem. Is it as good as my NighForce or Vortex, no. But its glass, resolution is as good as my as my old Leupold Vari-XIII. Of course time will tell if it is as durable as the Leupold. Would I use it on a 300 WM or a 338 Lapua, probably not.