• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 to 600 yard performance

cconn30

Private
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2013
Fayetteville NC
Currently I have a .260 and 300WSM set up for longer range target and hunting applications. I have a decent stockpile of 6.5 bullets and powders and the majority of parts needed for a 6.5 CM bolt gun build. The majority of threads I have gone thru have stated that 24in is the minimum most would go for a 6.5CM for 1000 yards. The majority of shooting competitions close to me never extend past 500, unless I head up to Camp Butner. My mind is set on going with the 6.5 CM with a shorter barrel (22-24in) trying to save on weight for hunting and other fun DMM matches or Precision Tactical. With all that being said, here is my main question. Is the high BC of the 6.5 round negated when shooting at these shorter distances with a shorter barrel? Would I be better off sticking with the 26in plus barrel to get the max potential out of the round and going with a light varmint contour to save on weight? Thanks in advance.