• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 ultra mag at a grand

jimmyrjessie

Private
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2009
Heres what i have rem. 700 300 ultra mag stainless barrle laminet stock bone stock gun with a 4.5-14 nikon buckmaster what should i expect as far as groups im new to shooting this kind of range will the gun shoot better than me at this range

Re: 300 ultra mag at a grand

I guarantee that rifle will shoot a one hole , one shot group at that range
grin.gif

You'll hit something at 1000, dirt, rock, grass...kidding. Maybe practice at 100-500, work up a good load first, get confident at closer ranges, then you won't have a question about hitting something at 1000.

Questions like this are a bit scary. I for one imagine a clueless guy trying blindly to shoot long. No offence, we all start at the beginning and gotta ask to learn.

Sounds like you need some education, guidance, and experience (something you get right after you need it).

First, 1k requires some skill, knowledge, and a small pile of good equipment. Serious marksmen don't run bone stock factory rigs at 1k, they are rarely consistently accurate. At the least, the rifle should be properly bedded and the trigger tuned. A brake would be a great investment.

Next, there's no telling how a factory rig will shoot. Chances are, if ya gotta ask, it'll outshoot you at the moment. A bedded action, tuned trigger, muzzle brake, and some load work will likely produce a fairly accurate rifle. At least a consistent tool to learn with.

Personally, I'd pick something else to learn with. Barrel life is too short on an Ultra.

As for education,DefensiveEdge.com Long range hunting how to video would be a great start.

To give you a direct answer, a bone stock rig shooting factory ammo would likely group in the 20"+ range at 1000 yards.

Now, I've made assumptions about your education and experience based on the question you ask. No offense intended. Good luck.

i understand you making assumptions yes i am inexperienced shooting long rang. no i have never even attempted a shot near that far. but am very interested in learning i do have a retired scout sniper to help me withsome aspects i just was interested in learning what i could from some of you. i am sorry if i offended wny of you with my question or if my question has been redundent on here i also am sorry just trying to learn. i am not a gun smith but would like to learn how to do some of the things you spoke of in your reply to me about bedding and so on i am a tool maker and do have the abbility to thread my barrel for a break and could make my own break if i had prints. im not trying to be irresponsible thats why im on here asking questions.

No offense.

Just some of the Members here have seen/heard this kind of question here many time in one way or another many times over the years.

You just need to go shoot the rifle, work on your skills and work your way out to 1K.

No harm in asking questions, but...

Think about what you are asking and the variables that could possibly be involved. Then, with those variables in mind, consider how many folks here know your abilities, practices, mindset, condition of your equipment, etc, and how they will affect those variables. Hopefully with all of this in mind you'll realize how difficult if not impossible it is to answer questions such as this.

Read until your eyes hurt, watch until you understand fundamentals, realize it's not as easy as it looks, and then begin practicing.

No easy answer but don't let it discourage you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300ultramag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Heres what i have rem. 700 300 ultra mag stainless barrle laminet stock bone stock gun with a 4.5-14 nikon buckmaster what should i expect as far as groups im new to shooting this kind of range will the gun shoot better than me at this range </div></div>

I realize that you are getting into the long range shooting and wanted to know more information to make the best with what you have. There is nothing wrong with that. There are lots of info here at this website. You can certainly spend many hours reading about it, but more importantly, doing it, or should I say shooting it is the real answer. What I am trying to say is each rifle behaves differently the only way to find out is to experiment with it trying to find the "right" load for it to optimize its accuracy. Then the next question is are you just slaying metals and paper targets at 1K, or are you hunting and/or compete with this rifle also? Reason that I ask that is because of the caliber of the rifle that you choose. There is no doubt that the 300 ultra mag will get to 1K with ease, but there are also other calibers that you can have so that you can shoot more often (practice). A friend of mine has a custom built 300 RUM. We go out and shoot 1K regularly. I can shoot my 308 to that range comfortably. With his custom gun, it's extremely accurate, but after 3 rounds, the barrel gets so hot that you have to let it cool down before shooting it again. This leads to the next factor in your original question. A good gun capable of 1 MOA accuracy is one thing, but the more important factor is the triggerman behind that stick. You have indicated that your long range shooting is slightly limited. The only way to get good groupings is to know the basic foundamentals of marksmanship (I am not proclaiming to be a marksman, or any of that), reading the winds and such. Sorry for the long and convoluted answer, but once again, it returns to the basic principle of "sending enough rounds down range" will be the best way to improve your goupings, assuming that you have a repeatable rifle, which I am sure you do based on your description.

is barrel life in this caliber that bad how many rounds can u expect to get i am planning on practiceing towards reaching 1k but it sounds like i am gonna have to do some work to my rifle any help on info for doit youe self

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300ultramag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is barrel life in this caliber that bad how many rounds can u expect to get i am planning on practiceing towards reaching 1k but it sounds like i am gonna have to do some work to my rifle any help on info for doit youe self </div></div>

I always wanted to shoot to 1000 yards, I did some plinking and informal shooting out to 200 yards. I made a few buddies on this board that had more experience than I did and were very helpful. Like all novice shooters stepping up to the 1000 yard line it was quite an experience. I took a .308 Savage rifle, and quickly learned that I needed a 20 MOA base. I found this out by not being able to make it out to 1K. My Burris scope didn't have enough elevation. Fortunately my buddy Marc, brought a backup rifle in .308. I ended up doing OK that day and enjoyed it very much! I went home and got the right base, and the next time out I was pleased with my results.

What I can tell you is this, I own a 300 RUM, and unless you have a break on it I would not suggest shooting it at 1000 yards for a first time shoot. Get a brake on it! It is a barrel burner, kicks like a mule especially in a factory stock.

Depending on how well you shoot, the barrel life can vary. A good shooter might notice it dropping off in accuracy at about 700-800 rounds, or less. A novice shooting 20" groups will get a much longer life out of a barrel. They are expensive to shoot, especially if you don't reload.

A nice 308 with a good scope and a 20 MOA base will get you to 1000 yards, an 06 is even better. You will learn to read wind with a 308 at that range. It is not a good choice but it will get the job done. After I shot the .308 I graduated to a 6.5x284 which blew the .308 away. It is also considered a barrel burner, but if you search the archives you will find different chamberings that are used and can make a choice from there. If things change and allow me to shoot 1K again I will look into a 6.5x55 Swede. Longer barrel life just as accurate, and cheaper to shoot than the 6.5x284.

Since you already have an experienced mentor you are well on your way, GO FOR IT!

Many of the guys that post here are very experienced shooters. My views are the views of a novice shooter, so take them for what their worth.

One side note, if you plan on shooting F-Class, unless they changed the rules you won't be allowed to use a brake.

Good luck HTH!

i have shot this gun out to 400 yd on a few occasions but not much it seemed to do ok out to 400 but never attempted shots past that thank you for your encouragement hth i want to be more accurate than 20" goups at a grand and yes it will be nice to have the mentor to help understand wind adjustments and help me gather dope on the gun at the range. what do u think about upgrading the gun i have to allow it to shot better i really like wildcat rounds like the 300 rum but would consider rechambering the gun to something that would allow longer barrel life i just would really like to keep it a flat shooting big bore any suggestions on this would help. also i dont have any reloading equipment yet so a rechamber would not be to expenisve. also do i need a beter barrel and as far as bedding can i do it myself.

If you really like the big bore you already have one. I would shoot it out and learn with it. A replacement stock, trigger adjustment, and bedding are good places to start. Once the barrel is toast then you can get a custom barrel, true it, rechamber, and bed it. As far as actual chamberings I would search the archives for "big bores" that have done well at 1000 yards, the choices are endless! You could even step up to a 338 Edge.

How come everyone has a sniper/scout friend but me!! I only run into wannabe's who tell me they were this and that but I always find it hard to believe because I'm out shooting them.

If I can put bullets on steel with my .300 WM @ 1,600 yards, you are just fine with the .300 RUM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JFComfort</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">How come everyone has a sniper/scout friend but me!! I only run into wannabe's who tell me they were this and that but I always find it hard to believe because I'm out shooting them.</span>
</div></div>

Yep, I see it at the 900 yard range I go to. Guys camo'ed out, with a couple of newb worshippers feeding his ego. He can't hit steel at 500. Don't have the dope, don't have the scope, don't have the experience. Naturally, I pull up near them, start stretching the distance out. Eventually, the newbs want to talk and his house of cards crumble. Especially when I start to ask him questions anyone in this forum could easily anwser. Pure gold.

You mentioned that you don't reload. Good ammo for 300 ultra mag are not cheap. You are going to need to shoot more than 20 or 40 rounds to get comfortable with your rifle and the ammo. That's the only reason why I think a cheaper caliber will permit you to practice with enough regularity to be consistent at long range. JMO

What model Remington do you have? That Nikon scope, what are the turret adjustments in? .25 MOA or .25 inch, do you know how much elevation you have in that scope with out a base that will give you extra moa

With my 208 gr A-Max/Retumbo (.300 Win mag) load I only need 21.5 MOA of elevation to get to 1k yards. I'm shooting at a slight up ward angle so that helps too. What I'm saying is that you may not need a base that gives you MOA and you can spend that money on other supporting equipment that will help you out.

I think the 208 AMAX is the right pill for the 300 win mag. Awesome BC, relatively cheaper than the Berger 210 VLD. Pushing it at the right velocity you can stretch it out over a mile, at least where I am at. So, if you have enough elevation on the scope you don't need the 20 MOA cant. If I remember correctly, most Nikon scopes have about 40 - 50 total MOA of travel, so you may be cutting a bit close. Doable, but may be close. You can get a EGW base for about $40 and be GTG.

I do have every intetion on reloading do to the price of rum ammo it is salty and i understand to get the most out of your rifle u have to feed it what it likes the most can give me more info on this 338 u are talking about never heard of it also i figured i might need thay moa base your talking about my sniper friend said i might thought i would wait and see also where should i look for this base 40 bones ant bad. it is a remington 700 cdl yes the scope is .25 moa

Even with reloading, the life expectancy of your barrel is going to be shorter than say a 308 caliber. The cost of reloading the 308 is going to be cheaper than the 300 ultra mag (you need a boat load of powder for that). Remember, you will get more about the rifle, and ammo when you put a few thousands rounds down range. With the 300 ultra mag, you are well onto the second if not third barrel once you get a few thousand rounds.

Here is the link for the base. Just need to pick the right rifle for it. Make sure that you pick the 20 MOA cant.

http://egw-guns.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=39_128

you guys have been a great help now i know where yo start at least i will be sure to keep yall posted on how things are comming along thank you all so much for sharing some of your knowledge with me maybe some day i can return the favor for some other newbie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OutRider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I am have a hard time understanding the difference between the 338 Edge and the 338 RUM... </div></div>

the 338 Edge is a 300 RUM case neck up to take the 338 bullet.

The two cases are slightly different. Remington did that so you don't blow yourself up putting a .338 RUM round in a .300 RUM chambered rifle (these days they have to cover their ass).

Necking up the .300 RUM to .338 gives you more case capacity than a .338 RUM case.

-Just a side note; DesertHK, you making it to our precision shooting match here in Vegas this weekend?

Wish I could. Family obligation unfortunately.

these are the kind of threads im tooking for to help me do it myself i dont understand how he bolted the stock to the action after he was done for sure any insight on this may help i am a tool maker and can and do have acsess to a mill and lathe to make pillar blocks and install them.

I think you missed something in the thread. Go back and read it again carefully and you will find all the info you require on bedding. I used this exact thread for my first, and have done 3 more since.

what im talking about is the pillar blocks the length on them how do u know u have the length perfect where and how do u take the measurement i have mic's calippers and indicators just need to know how to get them the perfect length (measurments)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JFComfort</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">How come everyone has a sniper/scout friend but me!! I only run into wannabe's who tell me they were this and that but I always find it hard to believe because I'm out shooting them.</span>
</div></div>

Yep, I see it at the 900 yard range I go to. Guys camo'ed out, with a couple of newb worshippers feeding his ego. He can't hit steel at 500. Don't have the dope, don't have the scope, don't have the experience. Naturally, I pull up near them, start stretching the distance out. Eventually, the newbs want to talk and his house of cards crumble. Especially when I start to ask him questions anyone in this forum could easily anwser. Pure gold. </div></div>

Then you tell camo boys that "you've just been SHANKED"

i just need to chime in briefly, when i thought i wanted to shoot long range, i went the 300rum route, asked llot of dumb questions etc.

my learning curve: very few people can shoot that type of recoil sucessfully, rum's are expensive. i never made it insode of 1 moa w/ my rum because of recoil flinch etc. i now have a 260ai that is easier to shoot and cheaper. you need to reload, then learn advanced reloading. it takes a very good scope to get to 1000, my first try was w/ a barska, my first sucess was w/ a super sniper.

hershey i have to agree it does kick hard and i plan to install a break soon im sure my scope may not be good enough but i want to try with it i am looking into reloading i wish i knew someone wanting to sell a reloading setup that would off set cost some. i have a tikka t3 in 270 win how would this be at a grand it is cheaper to shoot it does not recoil as bad and its a tikka that should help too I THINK?

That Tikka will do just fine!! They are well made guns and don't leave the factory unless they are shooting under 1", I don't think Remington does that.

Look at a Lee starting kit, they usually include everything you need except dies.

your looking in the right place to find info on lr shooting . i must say , your 270 wsm will not be the best bet for 1k . since you already have it , by all means shoot it as much as possible , as far as possible . the tikkas are fine rifles . but have some flaws for lr shooting . if you get serious about shooting to or past 1000 yds. you will eventually want a different rifle . if when that time comes give serious thought to a 6mm or 6.5 mm they will leave a 308 far behind if you reload.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264win</div><div class="ubbcode-body">your looking in the right place to find info on lr shooting . i must say , your 270 wsm will not be the best bet for 1k . since you already have it , by all means shoot it as much as possible , as far as possible . the tikkas are fine rifles . but have some flaws for lr shooting . if you get serious about shooting to or past 1000 yds. you will eventually want a different rifle . if when that time comes give serious thought to a 6mm or 6.5 mm they will leave a 308 far behind if you reload. </div></div>

+1

.300, What alt are you shooting at? That makes a big difference too. I shoot at 2600 ft and have no problems putting every round on a ISPC steel plate @ 1k with my .308. My .300 WM gets there easier and hits ALOT harder when it does!

what are the flaws in the tikka at long range?

You have to use tikka scope rings or the same dovetail type. If your scope doesn't have enough internal adjustment you'll need a base or rings with MOA built into them which may be hard to find. I know the tikka tactical has a rail already, you maybe able to use that one if its not built into the action. That just what come to mind off the top of my head, I'm sure others will add what I have over looked. Hope this helps, keep us updated on your 1k endevors

thanks for your help i am looking forward to being able to confidently send rounds down range at a grand. i understand it will take time but i think i am up to the challenge

wont be long and you will be looking to shoot past 1000 yards