• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Ultra Mag

donws2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2008
Mountain Rest, South Carolina
Thought I'd start a 300 Remington Ultra Mag thread. I've been playing arround with one for a few month's now. Here's a load I'm working on for a One Mile Shoot we're going to have come spring.

My goal was to get the Seirra 240 SMK bullet up and over 2950 so that it would be super sonic at 1800 yards. What I found is that you run out of case with H50BMG powder and I got pressure signs before I got there with H1000. So back to Retumbo I go. I didn't have any when I started and was just wasting time without it. So far I've reached 3044 with out any sign of pressure yet. This is on 70 to 80 degree days so hot weather could be another thing. My last latter test was 90.5 to 92.5. Case capacity looks to be about to the bevel in the shoulder. There's 2 or 3 grains still before a compression load. I'm getting good groups so far and think there is still room for more speed. Here's the run down for the number junkies.

Group #1 five shots @ 90.0 Retumbo, 240 SMK, WLRM primer and RP brass fired four time so far. Shot for base line to compair to latter test. Group was .7 on a clean bore. True measurements at 12'. I didn't add back any for muzzle vel.

2983 Avg.

Latter test after first group. Made a mistake and not checking barrel temp. Should have anticipated lower velocity from expansion. Anyway I believe on a cold barrel like the first group vel. would be higher. Shots are in .5 grain intervals from 90.5 to 92.5

Muzzle vel. should be 9 to 12 FPS faster so I'm happy with the out come to say the least. I'm well above my needed vel. to reach 1800 yards and was able to shot two sub inch five shot groups later at 200 later in the day. I'm using a GAP built stick by Moon. It's a Stiller Predator with a Bartlein 1/10 tube. This thing will shoot 1.25 groups at 400 on windy as hell days using 210 Bergers. They'll be killer at 1000 just not the pill I want for a mile. Cheers,Donald

Re: 300 Ultra Mag

Great data. I have a Lawton in a WM that may get a new RUM barrel. How long's your tube?

Thanks Matt. I've read that one. Some good info there. I would try the powder but I can't find it in quantity around here. I found one pound but that's only about 70 rounds of ammo. If I could buy 8 lbs. at a fair price I might give it a try. Donald

OK shot the 300 RUM again today. I found that 93.0 grains of Retumbo will get you 3115 FPS and a very hard bolt lift. I had some ejector marks at 92.5 and this is on a cool day. Max is going to be below 92.0 for my rifle. But on the positive thats 3050 FPS for a 240 grain SMK and that will make a mile plus. I'll unload the car later and post the group velocity just was tickled as hell to see that I can launch a 240 grain bullet at that kind of speed. Grouped well to at 1.75 inches at 300 yards. It will do better at lower speeds but still that's sweet. Lost a primer today for the first time. It fell out of the pocket on the 93.0 grain load but I've used these shells 7 times now so I'm not at all unhappy with that. 1000 yard match this Saturday and I can't wait to put this beast to the test. Donald

What rifle are you shooting? I'm loading 100 gr of Retumbo with a Fed 215 primer and 180 gr. Nosler AB and Rem. brass with no pressure signs out of a Rem 700. I ain't had a chance to shoot through a chrony yet. Good luck with the match let us know how well you did.

Countryboy I'm pushing a 240 grain SMK. I'm sure I could get allot more retumbo in there if I was shooting some lighter bullets. I went to 102 grains of H50BMG with the 210 Bergers but ran out of case capicity before I saw any sign of pressure. I could not get my target velocity with the H50 so I started testing other powders and found that I got pressure problems before I got the velocity I needed. Retumbo is the only powder out of four tested that gives me the needed speed and stays below my pressure limits. The last test was just to see where the up limit is with my rifle. I've not found allot of info on the 300 RUM and 240 SMK's so I'm just sharing my tests results. Every gun is different so I'm not going to claim my loads are correct or safe for anyone so please be carefull. Donald

Ok...yeah that is alot bigger bullet my bad. I should've read more carefully sorry bout that. How you do in the match?