• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Ultra Mag....

r1les

Private
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2008
Whats up guys.Im new to the forum and have been long range shooting with my .223.Got it up to 800 yards with my Bushnell Elite series scope.But I just picked up a Remington Model 7 .300 Ultra mag that has never been fired for a steal.So thats going to be my long ranger.Is this rifle capable of reaching way the hell out there with new barrel etc etc?Ive shot my buddies .300 win mag at 1000yds with a Huskemaw Scope.That scope is friggin tits!So Ill be putting one of those on way they arent on back order.So lets say this gun was your guys and your looking to reach above and beyond 1000yds.....what would you do and what brand?Thanks guys.

Re: 300 Ultra Mag....

Since you asked. I'd shoot my 223 AI beyond 1000yds. The 223 Rem. would make it too. Trust me, you didn't need that big o'l magnum to get beyond 1K yards.

I have a 300RUM but it's hunting rig. It will shoot plenty far, and it will eat your lunch buying brass and powder as well. There are no factory loads for target/match shooting in this caliber, so your making your own. I have not shot mine past 600 yrds to date, so I can't vouch for long range accuracy.

I get about 3250fps out of 180gr Barns XBT's and Reloader 22. So far the Reloader has been pretty good powder, and has yeilded my best groups at arround 1.40moa at 100 yrds. Not what I would call stellar accuracy. You could try some H1000 and 200, 220 , or 240gr SMK's. That should buck the wind pretty well, and you are still in the 3000 to 2600 fps range depending on bullet and charge weight.

I'm sure that the rifle can me massaged to perform at long range. It really depends on how much you are willing to invest and what the intended purpose of the rifle will be....

Huskemaw 5x20 scopes with the speed turret on top.I think they are the cats meow for scopes for the time being.Crystal clear through the 50mm tube.Anyways my .223 has a 1-9 twist.I shot at a target at 1000yds with it and it was just plain lobbing it up there.The .300 mags were more feasible.But since I got the ultra mag I might as well it up.

Hmmmm...well I can always sell it and make a profit on it due to its still hunting season in Cali.But I do want a long ranger! I could say screw it and save and save and buy the .408 Chectaw.I dont know whether the bolt action series is as accurate and far shooting as the semi-auto set up?But for the time being I would like to set up a nasty caliber that doesnt take 4 days to reload one shell and neck it down and shoot it twice more,so that its finally set up for just one shot.(I may have exaggerated a little but you get the point)Thats why Im curious as to my .300 ultra mag.

Huskemaw, I think I heard of them being very advertised on some hunting show.

Never looked into them. I am sure they fill some void in the optics world.

go for it then. 50mm tube...who makes rings and bases to support that hubble? I'm guessing Ike has closed too many schools early...

those huskemah scopes are a joke, its nothing more than a $200 hakko they put their name on, and charge $1000 for.

for the price you can get a nightforce which is a hell of alot better scope.

I think there are better, more accurate, and less expensive calibers to look at for the 1000 yrd club. They don't have to be magnums either. The 6.5mm are very attractive, and honestly the gold old .308 will get you to 1000 just fine. Plenty of guys here are shooting them past 1000 with good results.

As for the bolt or semi-auto question, a bolt gun tends to be more accurate than a semi, but that's not to say that there are not some wicked ass accurate semi-auto rifles out there.

If you are going to do target/match shooting I would consider any of the proven optics that are tailored for that purpose:
Schmidt & Bender
Leupold Mark IV
Night Force
Nikon
Falcon
Burris

are a few names to consider.....

R1les,

If you are talking about shooting NRA Sanctioned 1000 yd matches, two things. One, you are limited to 30 caliber. Two, you cannot use a muzzle break. You take that 300 RUM out to the range and fire five sighters and twenty shots for record three times...75 rounds or so..hmmm my bet is you will be flinching before your done, your cheek will look like a chipmunk with a jaw full of nuts(for a day or two), and your shoulder will not feel the way it did before the match! Not trying to bust your balls, that's just one hell of a round. What TLF said, you don't need that to play the game. Your 223 with a 1/9 twist is not quite adequate to get you to 1000 properly. I'd get a new quality barrel with a 1/6.5 or 1/7 twist and shoot the 80 SMK's. 24.3 grains of Reloader 15 ought to work just fine! That charge will only get you 1/4 of the case full on that 300RUM. So..for every 8 lb. jug of powder you buy to shoot the 223 you will be buying 4 to shoot the 300. That's 120.00 vs. 480.00!!

Another choice and my recommendation is to move the 223 and the 300RUM and purchase a nice 260 Remington. Awesome accuracy, good throat life, low recoil, and reasonable to load. Did I mention awesome accuracy?

I'm sure that Huskemama scope is a good one, but I'd probably find one of these guys upgrading and buy a nice Leupold 6-24 LR scope and Badger 20 moa single piece base to top it.

Good Luck and welcome to the hide.

Thanks for the info guys.Yeah that .300 ultra kicks like you wouldnt believe as is.AN d as far as my .223,I know its capabilities and Im totally comfortable with knowing it can reach 800yds dead on with my turret turned all the way up.The huskemaw scope...I enjoyed it because of its speed turret when it came to yardage in a hurry.I havent used a night force yet so Im not claiming either/or.I hit a squirrel the other day at my furthest kill the other day...569yds.And when it hit him I thought I missed cause he ran for awhile until the typical tumbling stop.A .223 blows the hell outve them from bout 300yds down...that long shot just poked a small hole so I know its "kill" capability at range.Other than making a "ping" on a chunk of metal or poking a hole on paper way out there.Speaking of nightforce...on you tube the boys got a sweet video of some long range shooting....what were they shooting with?Killing a buck at 1200 plus is a accomplishment.Im getting rid of the .300 mag by the way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOBODY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's no such thing as a M7 300Ultra.

By the way. </div></div>

Wish there were though, I'd pay to see someone shoot it, without a brake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOBODY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's no such thing as a M7 300Ultra.

By the way. </div></div>

Most likely this gent has a 300 SAUM or a 300 WSM - he would be in for one hell of a surprise when he tries to stuff a 300 RUM round into that rifle.

Don

Remington Model 7 short-action Ultra Mag with stainless barrel and black synthetic stock...made in Ilion,NY.So yes there is one cause its sitting in my lap as we speak.

Threw me when you said Ultra Mag and not Saum. Seen the 338 in 7 sin Rum.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: r1les</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats up guys.Im new to the forum and have been long range shooting with my .223.Got it up to 800 yards with my Bushnell Elite series scope.But I just picked up a Remington Model 7 .300 Ultra mag that has never been fired for a steal.So thats going to be my long ranger.Is this rifle capable of reaching way the hell out there with new barrel etc etc?Ive shot my buddies .300 win mag at 1000yds with a Huskemaw Scope.That scope is friggin tits!So Ill be putting one of those on way they arent on back order.So lets say this gun was your guys and your looking to reach above and beyond 1000yds.....what would you do and what brand?Thanks guys. </div></div>

SAUM and UM are different cartridges.

I shoot both,including a 7SAUM in a Model Seven.

I don't guess.

Not pickin on anybody but wouldn't shooting a 223 even out of a very accurized bolt or AR at 1000 yrds or greater be like ....ity-bitty artillery. Wouldn't you need about a 40 moa base and a really adjustable elevation turret and the barrel would look like it's shootin a bird out of the sky, in fact, watch for planes overhead.... Please...Be gentle.. I couldn't resist. I'm not the suppreme expert on bullets and loads or super long range shooting but i have learned alot over the years. Each bullet matched with a properly designed rifle will shoot very well for it's intended yardage, some will perform better than others. Before choosing a rifle or cartrige, determine what it will be used for. Me personally, I wouldn't shoot a 223 past 300 yrds, that doesn't mean that it would not do it, that just means that beyond 300 yds the 223 starts dropping quickly and it's leathality drops quite quickly. I would grab someting alittle hotter like a 22-250 out to about 400 yrds, beyond that 25-06 or something in the hot 6mm bullet or step up to the 30 cals like 308, 300 win mag I don't care for extreme bullet drop when avoidable. Just thought i would add my 2 cent worth of opinion, but please don't harp on me to bad... We all have our opinions ...Have a nice day...PC

1K is a 27.25MOA ele correction from a 225 zero,via 21" 223AI and the 75A-Max at 3100fps.

I shoot alot of 25-284,25-06,25-06AI and 257Wby. Actually,more than a lot.

I shoot 243,243AI and 6mmAI as well.

I've 30's coming out my ass,but much prefer 7mm's,which account for more slots than the 30's.

It's all about the bullet.

Rolling Smoke,

Here are some Kentucky 1000 yd. scores. All shot with AR-15's in NRA sanctioned matches.
187-3x
187-3x for a 374-6 Aggregate

181-3x
193-6x !

Not too shabby for a 20" stick and a sling! By the way these are Hide members of course.

Although not hitting with the vengence of a 30-338, I still wouldn't want to try to "catch" one of those judging by the thud in the impact area!

80 gr Berger VLD's as Nobody says...it's all about the bullet!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: r1les</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The huskemaw scope...I enjoyed it because of its speed turret when it came to yardage in a hurry.I havent used a night force yet so Im not claiming either/or. </div></div>

remember that your bullet drop changes with altitude, and temperature, amonst other things, and that BDC knob thats barely accurate in the beginning is no use.

Thanks for the imput Nobody and Wind50 cal. Hey Wind50, do you belong to KCGun range or work it? i shoot at the the Assault rifle shoot when I can. One of the sons of the owner ( The guy that has the Mohawk) runs us thru the shoot, he's cool to be around. i'm hoping to be there this Oct, since April got flooded......Bummer !!! But it gave me a chance to save more money for more purchases....Weeee ! I just ordered the new Sig Sauer 556 DMR with the 24" hammer forged barrel. I got the first Limited Edition Dark earth 556 Swat released with 16" hammer forged barrel and it shoots tighter than any 16" barreled carbine I have had the privilige to shoot. Guy's what do think I can expect to get out of the 24" DMR ? I'm setting it up as a tacticle sniper since I am one of the Deputy Sherrifs in Boyle County. I'm low man on tottem pole but I shoot alot more than the majority of them and I do quite a bit of hunting, ever since I was a carpet muncher and now I have a grey rug on my chest. Your information on the 223 makes me feel better. I have alot of confidence with the 223 within 300 yrds but I don't have any experience beyond that. I shoot more 22-250 than 223. I'm planning on using the TAP ammo, I beleive it's 77 grain. The Sherrifs office supplies it. Most of things that we would encounter will be well within 300 yrds. I have alot of questions, so I'm trying to be thorough and cover alot of ground. Any advice would be appreciative..PC

Got it. Does that mean that the bullet that comes in the Hornady TAP would be good, not prefered, maybe. I found out the twist rate for the Sig DMR 24' barrel. It has a 1 in 9" twist......Any recommendations?......PC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOBODY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Think bullet first,cartridge secondly. Twist rate control all of the above. </div></div> +1
And .223 will get to 1000 handily, with the correct bullet and twist.

9" is a bubble twist rate and is borderline for the 75A-Max.

Have said often,that bullet rates building a rifle around.

Got it Nobody.......Thanks. I'll inform you how well or sorry she shoots when I get it in. I have to shoot factory ammo thru it in case of lawsuit if used for S.O. Would you recommend NightForce or Leupold. I would prefer to keep scope closer to the bore line so I don't want to go huge regarding the objective lense.... Any recommendations and or particular magnifications?..

I'm cool with that. I've got quite a few Leupold Tacticle LR's in 3.5X10X40 and one 4.5X14X50 and I likem, especially when lights not the greatest. I'm still waiting for the scope manufacturers to come up with a way to mount binoculars with a ranging reticle to a rifle. I've got a set of 10X50 Swarofski's ( Probably spelled that wrong, but not really caring.)SLC's and I would much rather look thru them at game than a scope on a rifle anyday. yeh it may look un-chick but what a pleasure it would be to plant both eye's fixed on the game.

I've never been in a bind when going from bino/spotter confirmation,to killing same through a scope.

Have always said that my request for a scope,is simply as a canister to reliably contain crosshairs until I need to paste them upon something.

As for the round the 300 rum is a good game cartridge but packs a pretty good wallop in the reverse direction, i personally woulnt want to shoot it alot w/o a muzzle break. as for optics NF or Leupy is the good way to go in the 1000 price range

What's funny is,that the 300 Ultra is akin to a full length H&H offering,regarding mag constraints.

It's a 2.850" hull,housed in a 3.680" action,which nets .830" of COAL/throat latitude. Now that is rather contrary to the supposed inherent "advantages" of a l/a round,especially in 30.

But the obvious,is the first thing that most folks miss.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: r1les</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Remington Model 7 short-action Ultra Mag with stainless barrel and black synthetic stock...made in Ilion,NY.So yes there is one cause its sitting in my lap as we speak. </div></div>
So are we actually talking about a Remington model 7 chambered in 300 Remington <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="color: #000099">Short Action</span></span></span> Ultra Magnum? If so, that is the start of a good lightweight hunting rifle. I'd personally change barrels to a fast twist 7mm and blast the Berger VLD's for your long range shooting. 180 grains of pure VLD pleasure!
laugh.gif