• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 ultra mag ?

Dustin C

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2008
Ar
getting a itch to have another build and wondering has anyone had the 300 ultra mag built and if so whats your opinion ?
already have 300 winmag -7mags - 7mm-300 just never built a 300 ultra . building off a surgeon 1086 repeater action .thanks Dustin

Re: 300 ultra mag ?

I have owned four different rifles chambered for the .300 RUM. Super shooters but hell on barrels. Took my farthest whitetail shot (400+ yards) with the RUM.

If you're looking for something different, check out the 338 Edge (aka 338-300 RUM). That would let you launch higher BC bullets and wouldn't need a new barrel as soon.

Build the RUM first then after 1000-1200 rounds put a .338 barrel on it to become a 338 EDGE. You'll already have 300RUM brass built up to make the Edge Rounds with. I've got a 300RUM sendero and built a Edge a few years ago,either way you can't go wrong.
2011-06-11_15-09-07_338.jpg

ScottsPictures1732.jpg

+1hell on barrels. if you like to shoot twice take a 30 min break and shoot again it may be for you. imho its a deer cartridge and thats it! it is VERY good in that role,deer will drop like you hit em with a FORD LTD. if it is shot in volume and from anything less than 13# rifle your your shooting fundamentals and barrel will diminish rapidly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: procovert45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1hell on barrels. if you like to shoot twice take a 30 min break and shoot again it may be for you. <span style="font-weight: bold">imho its a deer cartridge and thats it!</span> it is VERY good in that role,deer will drop like you hit em with a FORD LTD. if it is shot in volume and from anything less than 13# rifle your your shooting fundamentals and barrel will diminish rapidly. </div></div>

I would say a hunting rifle rather than just deer rifle. This round will drop anything out in North America. I would go for a 338 Edge though. And have to add a +2 to hell on barrels.

I have a 300 RUM build in the works, here's the specs:

*Defiance Machine LA = spiral fluted bolt, .312" recoil lug, tactical bolt knob

*Krieger Stainless 5R barrel = 5.5 contour, 6 deep flutes, 1-11" twist, & will finish at 25" long

*Vais muzzle brake contoured to match barrel

*McMillan Rem Hunter stock = molded-in dark camo, magnum fill, 13 5/8 LOP

*Badger M4 steel bottom metal

*Jewell trigger

*NightForce Ultralight rings

*S&B Zenith 3-12x50 scope

I have one that I use for deer hunting. Loaded up some 180 Nosler partitions going Approx 3300 fps using a lot of H50 BMG powder. They are a fun chamber, they burn up barrels but are awesome. I can't imagine how godly they would be sending the 208 amax or the new HRN 225 HPBT and some serious high speed. I bet it would be excellent though.

+1 for good enough for anything in North America.

+1 for hell on barrels.

I love shooting it but you just can't shoot it a whole lot, definitely would say build a break on it.