• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 WBY advise

experthunter017

Private
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2012
Virginia beach VA
I just pick up a 300 wby and i want to reload for it. I was courios if any one out there reloads for it and if so, what powder and bullet grain do you use and what works good for you. I live in Virginia and hunt here for bear and deear and i also go home to Pennsylvania to hunt bear and deer ( and the sometimes the mighty woodchuck hahaha) so mainly i am looking for a hunting load. I have some IMR 4350, H4891, Varget and Accurate 2520 i was courous if any of those powders would be good for the 300 WBY, any advise would be great thanks alot.

Take this for what it is worth, but I have not reloaded 300 Weatherby for about 7 years. I used to rely solely on rl-25 under 180 grain SST. Magnum or retumbo would be good alternatives, but expect to use 85 grains per round. I ultimately sold to gun, dies and brass and went back to 30-06.

How about some of the milsurp powders like w867 or w872? I've heard that even though they are 50BMG powders, they work well in the magnum cartridges.

Last edited:
h5uz288.jpg

The biggest thing I used this load on was Gemsbok and it worked well.

We use Re22 in our 300 wby's with 165 & 130 gr bullets.

Ive also found a great load using ramshot magnum powder & 165 gr bullets.

We use these loads for hunting and have taken game all over the world with them.

Goodluck hunting with your new rifle its a great round.

Aloha!