• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.300 weatherby mag opinions wanted

Re: .300 weatherby mag opinions wanted

There's nothing wrong with .300Wby as a long range cartridge, except for the extra expense for the brass. It's probably too light for comfort if it's a hunting rifle: a rifle that produces that much recoil is easier to shoot all day if it weighs over 15 pounds. The barrel should also be heavy, but more important is the correct chamber and twist for high BC bullets. In short: keep it as a hunting rifle and get a tactical rifle if you need or want one. The cost of a meaningful conversion would be prohibitive. Regarding your edit about maximum range: it depends.

Define on what you think a tactical rifle is?

To me a tactical rifle is a rifle that blends in color wise, is accurate, and reliable. But most importantly you have to have a good shooter with a understanding of ballistics behind the rifle to complete it.

I love my 300 wby. It is a custom setup on a remmy action and keeps quarter minute when I do my part. The effective range depends on how you load it. With my current load (200 grain accubonds being pushed at 3024 fps via H1000) I'm good out to about 1900 yards.