• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 300 Whisper AR Dwell Time???

PLeighton

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 25, 2007
NE North Carolina
www.l8ntactical.com
I'm in the process of planning a 300 Whisper build and plan on using the AR platform as the host.
300-Whisper.jpg

My question is what type of dwell time will be generated with the following setup?
Noveske 10.5" 300 Whisper / Fireball barrel, 1-8 twist, and utilizing a pistol length gas system.
b-105-300fb_1a.jpg

It will be wearing a TBAC 30P-1 can and pushing 220 grain SMKs.

The purpose of the inquiry is to determine whether or not I will be able to utilize LMT's Enhanced BCG.
IMG_1421%201028%20WEVO.jpg

I have been using one of these BCGs for years in my 14.5" 5.56mm upper and really like the performance.
LMT does not recommend using it with barrels less than 14.5" in length utilizing a carbine gas system.
LMT states that their enhanced bolt carrier is incompatible with barrels shorter than 14.5" because there isn't enough dwell time to allow for the slower unlocking of the bolt created by the elongated cam path.
Good link to a thread that discuses this in detail.

Noveske uses the pistol length gas system on the 10.5" 300 Whisper barrel to increase the dwell time while running sub-sonic loads.
This permits the action to cycle properly while using such a low pressure cartridge.
I'm hoping that the dwell time in the gas system will closely approximate that of the 14.5" barrel in 5.56mm.
Link to previous thread related to 300 Whisper ARs and barrel length...

Worst case scenario, I throw the BCG from my 14.5" upper into the 300 Whisper to see if it works.
I really prefer to not use the bolt in a different upper though.
In addition to that, I would really like to know more about the dwell time of different setups.
Any thoughts on this are much appreciated.