• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 300 Whisper for hunting

Searcher

Private
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2010
Reno, Nevada
Anybody use a .300 whisper shooting 220 gr subsonics for hunting?

Does the BTHP have enough energy to expand well in the recipient?

I just received mine. I fired a single round into a stack of phone books. The bullet passed through three large (3" thick) phone books and lodged entering the fourth. The nose of the bullet was somewhat distorted, but otherwise it was straight and intact.

Now I am hesistant to use this caliber for hunting. When I fire subsonic 9mm pistol rounds into phone books, they expand just as expected.

Re: 300 Whisper for hunting

The 9mm rounds are designed to expand at much lower velocities, the 220 bthp isn't designed to expand at all. I wouldn't reccomend using it for anything but varmints unless you are close and put it RIGHT wher it needs to be

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slayer_280AI</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 9mm rounds are designed to expand at much lower velocities, the 220 bthp isn't designed to expand at all. I wouldn't reccomend using it for anything but varmints unless you are close and put it RIGHT wher it needs to be

Steve</div></div>

+1

try using the 180 Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets, not as heavy but they will expand at lower velocities.

No conventional .30 cal. rifle bullet will expand jacket out a 30-221/whisper @ subsonic Vel. on any game hunted. No Tissue or Bone or thickness of Torso will affect the jackets integrity .
Here is an example.
I took these ( 220 Grain Round Nose, Hornady InterLock ) and even put my own BIG & deep HP in them on the lathe & Hoping & trying for some Jacket expansion in the wood before passing threw to the Plate impact .

( IN PIC. ) I fired them @ 100 yrd. on heavy steel plate with a 4"x12" piece of Fir Header, standing in front of the Plate.
Subsonic Vel. . The bullets just pass threw the 4-inch thick wood and hit the plate, leaving the banana pealed Jackets laying on the ground when the Lead Core is gone. Expansion and peal-back of Jacket was only done by Impact on a 80 Lb. AR steal plate . Was the same with all the heavy .30 HPBT's also. They just cruse right threw also with Subsonic Vel.

Jackets were not even phased by the hard wood and left a pretty cool looking post impact remnant on the ground .
-
IMG_0001-4.jpg

Game kings are a little cheaper and they will stabilize better without that big long hollow-point cavity like the HPBT match bullets .
Game kings will hold much longer distance before key-holing because it does not loose it spin balance as fast as a long & Ass-End heavy HPBT match bullet . I have had 240 hpbt's start key-Holing paper @ 300 yrd. because they don't hold there spin-balance efficiently when pushed Subsonic out an 8-twist .
but ( Not Saying) the 240's don't tumble pretty accurate . they Do .
& a key-Holing unstable 240 hpbt will kill a Deer exactly the same as a stable spinning bullet . Your looking for a big wound channel anyway when you hunt with subsonic bullets .

Only downside on the Game Kings is that they only come in 200 Grn. & they do not seat as deep as I like to shoot when you are trying to set-out the OAL to get close to the lands because they are quite a bit shorter than the HPBT's .
The 240 grn. .30 cal. hpbt's are NICE and Long OAL . & they fill Case Volume while getting out there to the Lands when Seated
I don't like Not utilizing cartridge volume with shorter bullet lengths . Longer the bullet is seated. The better the Case volume is being filled and the more consistent you are going to be on your Vel. with every round fired .

They only make 200 grn GameKings ( I Wish) ,& what would kickass . what I would like to see is a .30 cal. 250 grn. or a 275 grn. GameKing to ride in an 8-twist 30-221 for subsonic Vel. .
That combo would be SO frigin Bad Ass for long-range flight stability, With energy efficiency & also be so much more cheaper-$$ than trying to do it with expensive .338 bullet Subsonic platform .

What are you going to hunt? Why would you do this? I am sure that it is illegal for game. OK for a problem dog or sic cow, but little else IMO. IF you are shooting on special depradation permits in town OK. NOT FOR HUNTING.

That is an incorrect statement. It is legal in many states in the U.S. Many kill deer with a pistol using less power and call it good enough.

The 300 Whisper is legal, and quiet for deer here in MO. I use 240gr.MK's w/H-110 shooting subsonic. Lookin to try some 208gr. A-Maxs when they become available to mere mortals. I Love to hear that THUMP!

Are you running a can? If not you could consider lead bullets. Lead tends to expand a bit better if it has the right hardness.

If you are not poaching or hunting where you should not be, why?
No matter how well it kills, a full power ctg will kill quicker.

I got interested in the Whispers when Missouri legalized air rifles for deer hunting during firearms season. Shooting subsonic ins't a whole lot louder than the high powered air rifles but has ALOT more range.