• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 300 whisper, not enough elevation

Tackleberry

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2005
possumneck, ms
I have a 3.5x15 Nightforce NXS mounted on my Encore 300 whisper. I only have about 25moa of elevation left. Does anyone know of a pic. rail made with extra MOA in it that fits a t/c encore or is there something different I can do with my mounting? I want to be able to shoot to 300 to 350yds. It is calling for 34moa at 300yds. Suggestions?

Re: 300 whisper, not enough elevation

Get a good scope with hold over lines in it. Then you don't need to turn the knobs much at all, just sight in on a lower line and fine tune if needed.

I use horus scopes on both my 300 and 510 whispers and they give the ability to take shots much farther.

Just move your stand a little closer to bambi and her mama. Boy, have you gotten lazy in your old age. Chris, what loads have you tried. 10 grains of H110 works well in mine.

Eddie

you could by my ammo in the FS section its standard velocity (2100) Id say it would knock anything down at 350 yards!!!

Tackleberry:

I'm sure that you've done this already but just the same here it goes. Start by making sure that your scope has a mechanical zero, then add a 30 MOA base to your rifle. That should give you plenty of elevation.
The most you can expect out of your Whisper is 300 to 350 yards or so. If you try opening up your range beyond that, your group sizes will fall apart.

Regards,
IUD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: im-ur-daisy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tackleberry:
The most you can expect out of your Whisper is 300 to 350 yards or so. If you try opening up your range beyond that, your group sizes will fall apart.

Regards,
IUD </div></div>

I would have to disagree just a bit- while most do not stretch subsonic shooting out- some of us do. I am not going to compair my 300 whisper to my 338LM or even my 308's but then again shooting my whisper at 800+ is far more fun. Yes, I do shoot mine at 800 and hitting an 18" plate is rather easy- sure I will admit I am not getting a sub MOA group but heck its fun eating a hot dog during the flight time- just kidding.

I like the $30 20 moa rail much better than the $525 adjustable rings. If I can get 300 to 350 in range I will be happy. How in the world do you ever get to 800yds with a subsonic round? I ma shooting 8.7gr of H100 getting around 1000fps. Heat and humidity seems to really affect volicity.

That rail would get you past 800 yards.
laugh.gif

Burris double dovetail base with signature rings and +20 MOA and -20 MOA inserts for 40 MOA total. That is under $80 and about as good as any base system made other than the $500 Ivey setups.

BH

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: montana</div><div class="ubbcode-body">whisper....
That means below about 1000fps. Otherwise, why shoot a Whisper. </div></div>

Oh really? Then whats this?

295v874.jpg

Some people actually do shoot standard velocity stuff to hunt with you know....

I needed 140 MOA on mine to shoot out to 700. You can buy some pretty rediculous bases. Believe it or not, the super sniper is actually a good scope for the whisper just because of how much travel it has. Put it on a 50MOA base and you can get pretty far. This is with 240g SMK going subsonic. Its truly impresive to be on the other end of the rifle.

Subonics out at the very limit of their accuracy? I'd not be expecting much terminal energy out there.

Greg

What makes you think that is the limit of their accuracy? I ask because I did not experience the same. I'm and work and dont have my data with me, but I recall still doing over 500 fps at 700y. I was banging man size steel 6-7 out of 10.

Yes, they make them. But why shoot them unless the whisper is your only rifle. Senseless IMO. Like building up a whisper and not having a can for it.

I know I'm gonna get drilled by the night force crowd but USO has a 3.8 x22 sn9 and it has 235 total moa of travel. Just giving my 2cents

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tyler Kemp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want one of these-
http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/200...range-shooting/ </div></div>

ivey01.jpg

I've used the Ivey Externally-Adjusting Scope rings (RT-150 Ring set) and they are outstanding. The latest mods have made the rings even better. Expensive? Yes! Outstanding, Reliable and Effective? Yes, Yes, Yes!

Not a Thompson, but I picked up a 45 MOA Nightforce rail here on the Hide to put on my Remmy based 300 Whisper/NSX.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tyler Kemp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want one of these-
http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/200...range-shooting/ </div></div>

ivey01.jpg

I've used the Ivey Externally-Adjusting Scope rings (RT-150 Ring set) and they are outstanding. The latest mods have made the rings even better. Expensive? Yes! Outstanding, Reliable and Effective? Yes, Yes, Yes!

</div></div>

how much?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: montana</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, they make them. But why shoot them unless the whisper is your only rifle. Senseless IMO. Like building up a whisper and not having a can for it. </div></div>

I just sold my whisper upper. I had that very ammo and a 30cal can on it. The difference from that ammo to subsonic was different yes but why sacrifice on distance and energy all the time? thats senseless. If you want to get some more distance and more punch use standard velocity, wanna get stealthy and quiet use your subsonic rounds.

not everyone on this site can have a can due to state laws....

I specified no distance as an accuracy limit, my point was that whatever that limit is, terminal performance out there should be at best marginal.

There are other ways to limit sound signatures that do not involve cans.

Greg

I just checked my Super Sniper fixed 20x, and with a 25 moa base I am left with 90 moa up and 50 moa down. You figure that out right and have 120 or so moa up left and you could shoot your Whisper a ways.