• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

300 Whisper now loaded by Hornady

Re: 300 Whisper now loaded by Hornady

I got hundreds of handload Super & Subs .

Anyone have/see a Add Link for retail sales ?
( In-Stock ) , Factory* Box Super or <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">CQ Frangible</span></span> ???

I have two questions

1. Why would they choose the whisper over the Blackout? Seems like with all the attention the BLK is getting it would have been the obvious choice.

2. I have heard that there is a some whisper chambers that can shoot blackout. Can this be shot in the blackout chamber?

I do not have an answer to either of your questions .

I know many that interchange the two with zero problems.....They are the same with the exception of the case length being like .04 longer on the Whisper.

Don't think you will have any problems either way. I have two rifles....one in 300/221 and the other a new AAC bbl 300 BLK. Use the same dies for each, all works fine. I shoot subs only.

IMHO,
Mark

The whisper and blkout are not interchangable. You can shoot whisper ammo out of a blackout chambered barrel. You should not shoot blackout out of a whisper chambered barrel.

Hornady made sure this works in a BLACKOUT chamber. As to why they did it as Whisper(R), must have been a pre-existing deal. This is nothing but good.

Strangely, my 300BLK barrel shoots my 300 Whisper ammo (hand loads) much better than my 2 previous Whispers could.

When (if) the Hornady stuff hits the market, I'll try it; present gun loves the 208 Amax.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hornady made sure this works in a BLACKOUT chamber. As to why they did it as Whisper(R), must have been a pre-existing deal. This is nothing but good. </div></div>

I am glad it works and the more manufacturers on board the better but different name game is hard on us simpletons.

Hornady will be making dedicated 300 AAC BLACKOUT dies for a June time frame.

rsilvers, what is the intention of the 300 AAC round?
What are the advantages compared to the 6.8 SPC, which is a flatter shooting round?
Does it use the same mags and bolt of the 5.56? What parts (springs, buffer, etc.) do you have to change in addition to the barrel?

I'm very familiar with the 300 whisper, it has been a very popular round for silhouette shooting for the last 15 years or so. In addition to the shorter neck on the 300 AAC, is it loaded to slightly higher pressures?

TIA

I am not aware of the BLK having a shorter neck.

BLK is loaded hotter because it has a longer throat. It is not loaded to higher pressures but uses more powder and makes more velocity at the same pressure.

It only needs a barrel change.

rsilvers tried to send you a pm but is AAC building complete rifles yet, and if so where could I find them?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AMMOWASTER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have two questions

1. Why would they choose the whisper over the Blackout? Seems like with all the attention the BLK is getting it would have been the obvious choice.

2. I have heard that there is a some whisper chambers that can shoot blackout. Can this be shot in the blackout chamber?</div></div>

1) I hear it came down to a prior-agreement where Hornady was still obligated to produce 300whisper. Since the 300 whisper and 300BLK are essentially the same, both will be able to use it as opposed to just the 300BLK, which opens a broader market to them. (i.e now people who already have 300FB/whisper/whatever don't 'have' to have their chamber reamed in order to use commercially produced ammo)

2) It's doubtful the 300Whisper chamber will accept (most) 300BLK ammo because of the snug fit. You'l encounter jams/FTF/FTE/etc and overall it isnt worth risking. You can use 300whisper ammo in a BLK chamber though. Just as you can use .223 in a 5.56 chamber, just not vise-versa

The only chambers that are designed to accept BLK-spec ammo are those who have been reemed to BLK-spec by a gunsmith